• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
I agree SJ. Why spray at all. Thanks for the link Rita. I didn't have time to read the whole thread. Late for my nephews 1 year b-day party.

On the skeeter note, I never have seen any bats while in sowal.
Perhaps because I am more on the beach at dusk, but we do have woods behind us, and I haven't seen any.
I will install bat houses on our grounds property if they would use them, but not sure if they are scared away by 30A noise?

I put them on my grounds in NY, but they prefer my siding, which is fine with me. ;-)

Rita

margarita brocolia
Dec 1, 2004
Dune Allen Beach
Here's a link to a chemical fact sheet from the Cornell University Pesticide Management Program.
http://pmep.cce.cornell.edu/profiles/insect-mite/mevinphos-propargite/naled/insect-prof-naled.html

A little info gleaned from the fact sheet:

Naled is characterized as very highly toxic to bees and aquatic
invertebrates. It is moderately to highly toxic to fish and
slightly toxic to upland game birds and waterfowl.
- Naled has numerous data gaps in areas of product chemistry, residue
chemistry, toxicity, environmental fate, and ecological effects. The
Agency cannot conduct a full risk assessment until the data required
in the naled Standard are submitted and evaluated.

This product is toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, and
wildlife. Do not apply directly to water or wetlands. Runoff
from treated areas may be hazardous to aquatic organisms in
neighboring areas. Do not contaminate water by cleaning of
equipment or disposal of wastes.

- This product is highly toxic to bees exposed to direct treatment
on blooming crops or weeds. Do not apply this product or allow it
to drift to blooming crops or weeds while bees are actively
visiting the treatment area.
- The following General Warnings and Limitations statements must
appear on end-use product labels which bear directions for aquatic
use on food or feed crops:
- Do not use with highly alkaline materials such as lime or
bordeaux mixture. Shrimp and crabs may also be killed at
application rates recommended. Do not apply to tidal or marsh
waters which are important shrimp-producing areas.

:shock:

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
This may have been addressed already on a former thread, but what pesticide is used in the spraying process? Is it plant based?
I wasn't aware there was a plane used now. I thought they only used the trucks.

What would you propose to keep the skeeter population down? :dunno:

Upon researching and contacting the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control it was and is determined that the airplane is spraying DIBROM NALED.
The agency provides a twelve page document pertaining to this Pesticide to anyone who cares to ask. We asked, and after reviewing it, we all must be in FEAR.

The opening paragraph titled PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS lists HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS, DANGER. It reads as follows: ? Causes irreversible eye and skin damage. May be fatal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. May cause allergic skin reaction. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not breath spray vapor or spray mist.? Further down the document it states, ? atropine sulfate is antidotal?. Isn?t atropine sulfate the product the United States Department of Homeland Security advises our citizens to keep handy and use if we come under nuclear and or chemical/biological attack from terrorists?

Environmental Hazards are also spelled out on the first page of this long document. It includes, ? this pesticide is toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, and wildlife.

Potential health effects of exposure to DIBROM NALED include, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, excessive sweating, salivation and tearing, constricted pupils, blurred vision, tightness in chest, weakness, muscle twitching and confusion. In extreme cases, unconsciousness, convulsions, severe respiratory depression and death may occur.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Upon researching and contacting the Department of Agriculture and Consumer Services Bureau of Entomology and Pest Control it was and is determined that the airplane is spraying DIBROM NALED.
The agency provides a twelve page document pertaining to this Pesticide to anyone who cares to ask. We asked, and after reviewing it, we all must be in FEAR.

The opening paragraph titled PRECAUTIONARY STATEMENTS lists HAZARDS TO HUMANS AND DOMESTIC ANIMALS, DANGER. It reads as follows: ? Causes irreversible eye and skin damage. May be fatal if swallowed, inhaled or absorbed through the skin. May cause allergic skin reaction. Do not get in eyes, on skin, or on clothing. Do not breath spray vapor or spray mist.? Further down the document it states, ? atropine sulfate is antidotal?. Isn?t atropine sulfate the product the United States Department of Homeland Security advises our citizens to keep handy and use if we come under nuclear and or chemical/biological attack from terrorists?

Environmental Hazards are also spelled out on the first page of this long document. It includes, ? this pesticide is toxic to fish, aquatic invertebrates, and wildlife.

Potential health effects of exposure to DIBROM NALED include, headache, nausea, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal cramps, excessive sweating, salivation and tearing, constricted pupils, blurred vision, tightness in chest, weakness, muscle twitching and confusion. In extreme cases, unconsciousness, convulsions, severe respiratory depression and death may occur.

Please stop scaring people. Almost any drug or chemical can be toxic if the dose is large enough. The amount of this stuff released to whack bugs is scant relative to the concentrations studied in the lab causing the adverse effects listed above. It is no different than saccharin carrying the cancer warning. Just think about it for a minute-many counties countrywide have pest control measures in place that use organophosphates and other compounds. Furthermore, consumers use the living heck out of similar compounds in the home;if cause and effect were so simple, you would see all order of animals displaying signs of organophosphate toxicity. It just isn't happening.

For The Health Of It

Beach Fanatic
Jul 29, 2005
Please stop scaring people. Almost any drug or chemical can be toxic if the dose is large enough. The amount of this stuff released to whack bugs is scant relative to the concentrations studied in the lab causing the adverse effects listed above. It is no different than saccharin carrying the cancer warning. Just think about it for a minute-many counties countrywide have pest control measures in place that use organophosphates and other compounds. Furthermore, consumers use the living heck out of similar compounds in the home;if cause and effect were so simple, you would see all order of animals displaying signs of organophosphate toxicity. It just isn't happening.

Just answering the above asked question of what the plane is spraying. I also took every word straight from the fact sheet. If this a scaring you or other people, it comes from the fact sheet not me. Maybe further research as to long term effects of the use and how it is stored in the human lymphatic system should be done here. Maybe small amounts over years of time build up into large amounts stored in the human body. I do not claim to know all the answers just asking questions to see what harm it is doing.

tuck

Beach Lover
Dec 17, 2005
Does anyone know if other States have banned the use of these types of pesticides. I think I read somewhere that New York State and California did not use this type of pesticides. Someone once told me that Georgia banned it as well. It would be interesting to see what alternative Georgia is using if this is true. Georgia is at least close and has some of our same natural environments. I have to say, I like the fact that people are bringing concerns to the forum here. If questions are not asked who is to really know if we are safe.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006

I agree skunky that peaboy was listing effects of direct exposure and that the amounts used in flight would not constitute direct exposure.

The common consumer though has a choice though in what they use as far as environmental toxins are concerns.

I can see the use of certain pesticides against disease carrying insects, but dog flies do not constitute a threat to humans, so IMO why bother introducing more environmental pollutants than absolutely necessary?

Has anyone noticed any noticeable difference in the dog fly population?

This was a problem in LBI, NJ where we vacation for a week in summers, but they used fly catchers that were installed and this helped significantly.

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
Does anyone know if other States have banned the use of these types of pesticides. I think I read somewhere that New York State and California did not use this type of pesticides. Someone once told me that Georgia banned it as well. It would be interesting to see what alternative Georgia is using if this is true. Georgia is at least close and has some of our same natural environments. I have to say, I like the fact that people are bringing concerns to the forum here. If questions are not asked who is to really know if we are safe.

I live in New York and they banned the use of certain pesticides like Diazonon which were found to have neurological effects on children 3 and younger. I am not sure what class of pesticide Diazonon is.

We can only used Permethrin. [ame]http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Permethrin[/ame]