• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Here is a very nice document put together by Purdue describing how substances such as insecticides are developed and regulated as well as principles of toxicology. It might make all involved feel a little better about the amount of research that goes into the products before they hit the market. WARNING:There is a frank description of animal studies;if you feel like you might be offended, do not open the link.
http://www.btny.purdue.edu/Pubs/PPP/PPP-40.pdf

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Fine, live in fear if you so choose. Now, I need to go insert an MSDS fact sheet on Dawn detergent in the good old toxins binder. :roll:
Skunky, I thik you are missing the point that when I pick up a bottle of Dawn at the market, I have the choice to read the label and choose to buy it or not buy it. With this blanket spraying, not only do I not have a choice, but I am not even warned that they are spraying it.

Warning labels are also on cigarette packages. I guess those don't really apply if you only smoke once in a while. :dunno:

Again, it is all about choice. I can make my own soap and choose not to use the detergents being sold as soap. I can apply my own homemade bug spray which you can eat without incurring side effects, or I could choose to spray myself in DEET. I should have a choice in not being sprayed with chemicals.

By the way, I don't eat sacchrin, by choice. ;-)

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Skunky, I thik you are missing the point that when I pick up a bottle of Dawn at the market, I have the choice to read the label and choose to buy it or not buy it. With this blanket spraying, not only do I not have a choice, but I am not even warned that they are spraying it.

Warning labels are also on cigarette packages. I guess those don't really apply if you only smoke once in a while. :dunno:

Again, it is all about choice. I can make my own soap and choose not to use the detergents being sold as soap. I can apply my own homemade bug spray which you can eat without incurring side effects, or I could choose to spray myself in DEET. I should have a choice in not being sprayed with chemicals.

Wait, forget about everything else, I just discovered the ignore button and ignored you-know-who:lol: Don't zap me SJ!:lol:

Indigo Jill

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2006
Point Washington
www.sowalscene.com

But you do have a choice, SJ - you could move to an area where they don't spray. ;-) Or devote your energies toward banishing the current pesticides used.

Tupelo Honey

Beach Lover
Nov 4, 2006
here

Good post, SJ.

Any chemical exposure to humans will have long-term effects. Artificial sweeteners are a great example of this. The human body does not recognize chemicals and stores them in the body's tissues as toxins. It is only a matter of time until they manifest into neurological disorders, thyroid problems, blood pressure issues, cancer, etc.

Breathing in the mosquito spray while it touches the skin poses the same issue with toxins. The residue also ends up in lakes and gardens. Then people eat the fish from the lake and the produce from the garden and end up ingesting the chemicals. This is why organic produce is in such demand -- organic farmers do not use chemical pesticides.

In Hawaii, mongooses are used to control the snake population. Bat houses and martin houses sound like the ideal pest control for mosquitoes. It harmonizes with the environment, human wellness, and the pocketbook.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Good post, SJ.

Any chemical exposure to humans will have long-term effects. Artificial sweeteners are a great example of this. The human body does not recognize chemicals and stores them in the body's tissues as toxins. It is only a matter of time until they manifest into neurological disorders, thyroid problems, blood pressure issues, cancer, etc.

Breathing in the mosquito spray while it touches the skin poses the same issue with toxins. The residue also ends up in lakes and gardens. Then people eat the fish from the lake and the produce from the garden and end up ingesting the chemicals. This is why organic produce is in such demand -- organic farmers do not use chemical pesticides.

In Hawaii, mongooses are used to control the snake population. Bat houses and martin houses sound like the ideal pest control for mosquitoes. It harmonizes with the environment, human wellness, and the pocketbook.

Now wait a minute...oh, never mind:roll: