- Apr 23, 2013
My body has broken down lots of toxins. Practice makes perfect.
I hear you. My point was, the poster that I asked to calculate a toxic dose based on weight posted what looks like an MSDS type sheet for permethrin. The toxic dose is provided right there-if one was to do the math, I'm guessing that the amount of permethrin one needs to ingest to induce toxicity is exponentially higher than what anyone along a spray route would ever, in their lifetime, be exposed to. The same can almost certainly be said regarding amplification in the food chain.
Some people, for whatever reason, get all hot and bothered about their potential to become intoxicated from substances that are not likely to ever cause them harm. I suspect it has to do with the truth that people fear what they don't understand. Add to misunderstanding a bunch of internet pseudoscience and you have people doing all kinds of irrational things. Nobody fears water for the toxic potential it harbors, but I assure you, if one consumes an unnatural quantity one can die from electrolyte imbalance. So too it is with permethrin, car exhaust, offgassing, etc. All these things are toxic, but short of a spectacularly inappropriate exposure, no real harm is likely. Plus, people often fail to consider just how effective their bodies are at breaking down and eliminating consumed toxins.
This spray versus no spray debate pops up every few years and people who were not involved during the previous brawls get in and rehash the same positions with the ultimate outcome that some people attach 'no spray' signs near their house while most do not. That is how this too, will end. In the interim, I think we should all be thankful that the mosquito board goes to the lengths it does to accomodate the various desires of all who live here.
Yet again tonight, there was no notification sent to me that a truck would be out spraying as I walked my dog at 9:30 p.m. I have applied for notification and sent 10 emails & phone calls alerting SWCMCD when I was not notified. What is so difficult about alerting residents before they are going to be sprayed with a neurotoxin?