• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
My body has broken down lots of toxins. Practice makes perfect.

seagrovegirl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 9, 2008
Historic Old Point Washington
SWMCD is in my neighborhood asking residents if they mind if they spray the puddles/ponds on our properties. They were very courteous and understanding and want to help if you want it. Thank you SWMCD!!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I hear you. My point was, the poster that I asked to calculate a toxic dose based on weight posted what looks like an MSDS type sheet for permethrin. The toxic dose is provided right there-if one was to do the math, I'm guessing that the amount of permethrin one needs to ingest to induce toxicity is exponentially higher than what anyone along a spray route would ever, in their lifetime, be exposed to. The same can almost certainly be said regarding amplification in the food chain.

Some people, for whatever reason, get all hot and bothered about their potential to become intoxicated from substances that are not likely to ever cause them harm. I suspect it has to do with the truth that people fear what they don't understand. Add to misunderstanding a bunch of internet pseudoscience and you have people doing all kinds of irrational things. Nobody fears water for the toxic potential it harbors, but I assure you, if one consumes an unnatural quantity one can die from electrolyte imbalance. So too it is with permethrin, car exhaust, offgassing, etc. All these things are toxic, but short of a spectacularly inappropriate exposure, no real harm is likely. Plus, people often fail to consider just how effective their bodies are at breaking down and eliminating consumed toxins.

This spray versus no spray debate pops up every few years and people who were not involved during the previous brawls get in and rehash the same positions with the ultimate outcome that some people attach 'no spray' signs near their house while most do not. That is how this too, will end. In the interim, I think we should all be thankful that the mosquito board goes to the lengths it does to accomodate the various desires of all who live here.

I don't share your faith in the infallibility of science, but I do thank you for sharing your opinion in a coherent and non sarcastic post.

PJJ

Beach Lover
Oct 27, 2007
Yet again tonight, there was no notification sent to me that a truck would be out spraying as I walked my dog at 9:30 p.m. I have applied for notification and sent 10 emails & phone calls alerting SWCMCD when I was not notified. What is so difficult about alerting residents before they are going to be sprayed with a neurotoxin?

From personal experience, the spray trucks stop spraying if there are people outside (even if said people are waiving thumbs up to try to get them to continue spraying).

Billie

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2007
Mr. Hudson,

I would appreciate your response to the information below. Not any other information, just these questions answered below. I think it's important to address the real topics here. Why is our mosquito control district so fixated on using adulticides where study after study shows that it's not killing the adult mosquitos and that the only thing that is really helping alleviate the problem is BTI products? I'm trying really hard to understand why we are still using adulticides at all? Maybe you could help shed light on that subject with some concrete studies and numbers about the effectiveness that you may have access to. What I am reading over and over in scientific studies is that adulticides are not working. Why do districts continue with a program that is not helping the situation and poisoning residents?

Inefficacy of Adulticiding

Adulticides have no effect on immature mosquitos (larve) and rarely reach adult mosquitoes. According to Cornell University entomologist David Pimentel, a leading national expert on this subject, less than .0001 percent of aerial and truck sprayed adulticides ever hit their intended target (irregardless of the strength of the adulticide used). Dr. Pimentel recently participated in an expert panel that was facilitated by Concerned Citizens for Safer Control and The Center for Disease Control (CDC). According to Dr. Pimentel, permethrin spraying cannot penetrate dense tree coverage and hit a moving target that has the capacity to hide under this foliage and other places inaccessible to the spray.

The studies show that the only mosquitos the spray is killing are those in the path of the truck spray and only if they have not developed a resistance altogether to permethrin from what studies are reporting. Also, these studies show that West Nile mosquitos are least affected by the permethrin and that the better source of control is BTI only.

Studies in Dallas and other areas of the US show increases in mosquitoes following spraying with adulticides. There was a 15 fold increase in areas where permethrin alone was used. Permethrin is simply not working.

Dr. David Bellinger of the Harvard School of Public Health and Boston Children's Hospital also consulted on this committee. He pointed out that adulticide pesticides (permethrin) in population studies have shown links between very low dose pesticide exposure and increase in risk for childhood cancer, ADHD, autism, lower IQ and impaired development. Why would we take a possible health risk with our next generation when there are safer more effective alternatives such as Bti larvicide only program. South Walton should only be using a BTI program and get rid of the neurotoxins for our children, our citizens and our ecosystem. It is slowly poisoning us all.

Thank you to The Dallas Observer and Community Leaders for Safe Effective Mosquito Abatement for this information and links to studies.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Pesticides are not mentioned in the article - only nitrogen from fertilizer run off and sewage from septic tanks and other fecal matter from animals.

Those are not pesticides.

Billie

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2007
Mr. Hudson,

I noticed you answered none of the questions I presented to you once again. There are hundreds of scientific studies that show the effects of pesticides and neurotoxins that your mosquito control district and others disperse. You know that as well as I do. I will post some more here. Why all the games of diverting from the real topics?

Billie

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2007
Also, since you missed the content from the NY Times article...it is POLLUTANTS..pesticides and the other toxic garbage that is dispersed in our environment.

• "Mr. Rice’s fear, widely shared, is that an ecosystem that supports more than 4,300 species of wildlife — and commercial fisheries, tourism and other businesses generating nearly $4 billion annually — is buckling under the strain of decades of pollution generated by coastal Florida’s explosive development.The scope and suddenness of the algae blooms took scientists by surprise, but their source is no secret: off Brevard County, the estuary is badly overloaded with nitrogen, an essential plant nutrient found in fertilizers, rotting organic matter and human and animal waste.
  • But a comprehensive search for the origins of the nitrogen has yet to be conducted. A handful of studies in waters outside the estuary have indicated that fertilizer runoff can be a major contributor to algae blooms. Dr. Souto cites a third source: a thick muck that has covered the once-pristine sand on the estuary floor, an accumulation of decades of POLLUTANTS."