• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Sorry but you're wrong.

I read the entire article and it specifically states the pollutants they suspect are causing the problem and pesticides were not one of those listed.

I called to confirm that with the writer.

I found no question in your other post that were not previously answered.

BayFisherman

Beach Crab
Jul 21, 2013
Santa Rosa Beach, FL
Hopefully someone will actually be able to offer the Name of a "non toxic" organic alternative used by a city, town, country or world that is used in ULV sprayers to the product we use.

I keep hearing that they are available but no one can name it or tell me where it's in use. I looked far and wide, called mosquito control districts throughout the country and I have not found it.

I am we'll aware that the product we use is a "neurotoxin" and that it can only be used under very closely monitored conditions, by licensed technicians to reduce the risk to a very minimal level. We use the product at 1/2 the allowed application rate per acre.

We meet every guideline and recommendation listed in the Joint statement issued by the Center for Disease Control and the Environmental Protection Agency.

I'm asking for help to find this "silver bullet".

Perhaps the "silver bullet" you should consider is to stop spraying adulticides like Permethrin until you can purchase, test, and effectively use a non toxic alternative in your ULV sprayers. The Mosquito control board insists on using a chemical identified by the EPA as "likely to be carcinogenic to humans" when ingested (http://npic.orst.edu/factsheets/Permtech.pdf). You openly admit in your post that this substance is a "neurotoxin," in fact Permethrin is so toxic that you choose to ". . . use the product at 1/2 the allowed application rate per acre."

In your efforts to protect us from mosquito borne diseases, you are increasing our risk of cancer. If protecting our county from disease is truly your mission, why not stop using Permethrin (and protect us from cancer) until you can find a safe alternative?

You are already using larvicides in the standing water found in ditches along the roads in our county. Most agree that use of larvicides is a less toxic and more effective solution. But still you insist upon spraying adulticides, from the trucks equipped with ULV sprayers, over the same ditches that are already treated with larvicides. You are using toxins to treat the same area twice, and it is debatable whether the adulticides are even effective.

Instead of continuing to spray from the streets, and covering our homes, cars, plants, and vegetable gardens with a toxic pesticide, I would like to see the Mosquito Control District implement a larvicide only policy until further research can be completed.

At the town hall meeting on 7/15/13, your board lectured the crowd on the dangers of stagnant water in our backyards, and how these pools of water can breed and harbor mosquitos. You can spray all the adulticides you want from the road, but the spray does not come close to reaching the standing water in backyards behind homes in my neighborhood. Use your trucks and personnel to expand your mission, educate residents and help them treat the standing water on their property that will never be reached by a ULV application from the road.

Billie

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2007
Mr. Hudson,

Why can't you just answer our questions? Every single time it's diversion of one sort or another. You post pointless evasive response after response here. The herbacide you spray on us kills everything. Permethrin kills fish and shellfish. You deny that? What do you think that the neurotoxin and the herbacides you spray do to our environment and our citizens? A real response for once?

Billie

Beach Comber
Jul 13, 2007
Here are just a few more articles that show how toxic all this run-off from your chemicals is since you can't seem to acknowledge scientific data in your responses.

Although the pyrethroid levels were low -- around 10-20 parts per trillion -- they were high enough to kill a test organism similar to a small shrimp that is used to assess water safety.
"These indicator organisms are 'lab rat' species that are very sensitive, but if you find something that is toxic to them, it should be a red flag that there could be potential toxicity to resident organisms in the stream," said study leader Donald P. Weston, UC Berkeley adjunct professor of integrative biology.

http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100202151051.htm

II. Effects of Pesticides on Human Health
Pesticides can be classified based on the target groups on which they are designed to act
such as into insecticides, herbicides, fungicides and others, or based on their chemical
nature such as organochlorines, organophosphates, carbamates and synthetic pyrethroids,
for example. Organochlorines and synthetic pyrethroids are stomach and contact poisons,
while organophosphates and carbamates target the nervous system of insects and also
affect humans because of the similarity between humans and insects in nerve impulse
transmission. Both organophosphates and carbamates are inhibitors of the enzyme acetyl
cholinesterase leading to accumulation of acetylcholine in the nerve synapses thereby
preventing synaptic transmission of nerve impulses. Organochlorines and synthetic
pyrethroids, on the other hand, attack individual nerves, impairing the transmission of
impulses (Solomon et al ., 2000; EJF, 2003). The three major routes of pesticide exposure
are oral ingestion, dermal absorption and inhalation. The route may vary from pesticide
to pesticide. For instance, dichlorvos (DDVP) being volatile is likely to be inhaled;
endosulfan can be easily absorbed on the skin; while chlorpyrifos is more likely to be
taken through ingestion or inhalation (EJF, 2003). When pesticides are used in
agricultural fields, homes, lawns and gardens, people other than the sprayers also get
exposed [The Ontario College of Family Physicians (OCFP), 2004]. Pesticides, among
other chemicals also act as hormone-disruptors. They have a chemical structure similar to
that of many hormones, thereby interfering with their function and causing many
developmental and reproductive abnormalities (Buranatrevedh and Roy, 2001-reviewed
in EJF, 2003)

The numerous primary epidemiological studies and reviews published till date have been
able to establish the cause-effect relationship between pesticides and a large number of
diseases. These include solid malignant tumours in lung, kidney, pancreas, breast, brain
and prostate.

http://www.academia.edu/1001825/Imp...m_Health_Scientific_Ethical_and_Policy_Issues

http://www.fao.org/docrep/w2598e/w2598e07.htm

http://www.hindawi.com/isrn/toxicology/2012/247072/

http://www.beyondpesticides.org/lawn/factsheets/facts&figures.php

Truman

Beach Fanatic
Apr 3, 2009
I doubt the antagonistic tone of the opposition is going to help get anyone any satisfaction. The mosquito guys are used to dealing with pests. Somehow killing bugs got political - I guess when a taxing district was created years ago to fund mosquito killing. Poison and bureaucracy don't seem to be a good mix.

Now it has become newcomers who know better vs good ole boys who hold vast quantities of poison.