• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I was not very clear as to my meaning in my post. I should have asked, "how close to the existing roadway and dune lakes will the path run"? Another consideration. Kids drive golf carts on the bike path now and it is a dangerous situation. If golf carts are "street legal" I have no problem with licensed drivers driving them on 30A. To build a motorized bike path that anyone can drive on smacks of stupidity. Needless to say, I am against it.

Synergy

Beach Comber
Oct 9, 2012
Santa Rosa Beach
Driving golf carts or street legal carts is illegal for kids regardless of where they are driving them. This would stop immediately if just a few parents were charged with child endangerment for letting their children hit the roads in these things. Notice not much news about the sad circumstances in which Sen. Rubio's daughter (14 or so) was injured in a golf cart accident several weeks ago. I hope she is okay, but her accident should serve as a lesson to others.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I noticed the golf cart business next to John-Johns closed recently....I think speaking out against golf carts on message boards and attending meetings is working.
A "golf cart lane" would encourage more carts and send a message they are welcomed in other areas. "Give an inch and they'll take a mile".

It would also encourage "more under aged children" to drive them.
This is a terrible waste of money and a stupid idea.
Let's start by working on 30A itself....the lines need to be redone again and pot holes causing deaths might be a start!

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
The plan is for the new path to go on the north side of 30A, the other side from the bike path, and I was told that the county does have sufficient right-of-way for a 10-foot-wide motorized vehicle path there. Apparently a motorized vehicle path on 30A was part of the Genesis transportation plan that the county approved about five years ago. I would think and hope that there would be ways to avoid impacts on the coastal dune lakes. That would be a good question to ask at the workshop.

This is a boondoggle. What I understand is that the Genesis plan advocated a golf cart path down most of 30-A. The section in question is one of a few stretches where this will be possible given space limitations. Essetially, the construction group is plucking 'low hanging fruit' to build this path that nobody is really looking to have built. Stretches of 30-A where continuing the path will be difficult, ie Blue Mountain, etc. are not even being considered due to logistics. Thus, this path is really just a little fragment of a project that is unlikely to ever be completed. Literally, a golf cart path to nowhere. It will be built because Genesis said it would be good and there is space, in this one area. And someone stands to make money (shocker). So hooray.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Driving golf carts or street legal carts is illegal for kids regardless of where they are driving them. This would stop immediately if just a few parents were charged with child endangerment for letting their children hit the roads in these things. Notice not much news about the sad circumstances in which Sen. Rubio's daughter (14 or so) was injured in a golf cart accident several weeks ago. I hope she is okay, but her accident should serve as a lesson to others.
Unfortunately you have to get someone to enforce the laws.

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
And what is to stop people from walking on the "motorized path" causing interactions, possibly confrontational when kids are involved? Posting another sign (god forbid ) that the tourons will ignore does no good and the police will never get involved even if they see an infraction. I can also see when carts passing each other, swing out in the roadway for clearance, or to avoid walkers, and cause problems with cars on 30a. Another really, really stupid idea from our all knowing and in the pocket of developers county government.
Oh, saw an LSV driving on 98 near Camp Helen the other day. This cart thing is getting out of hand quickly.

Joby

Beach Lover
May 12, 2010
I noticed the golf cart business next to John-Johns closed recently....I think speaking out against golf carts on message boards and attending meetings is working.
A "golf cart lane" would encourage more carts and send a message they are welcomed in other areas. "Give an inch and they'll t
ake a mile".

If you're talking about "Electric Cart Co", they did not close but moved to the strip mall nearby and appeared to have expanded.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let me say it as succinctly as I can. This is a bad, bad idea.

Augie

Beach Comber
Jul 9, 2012
Our parking lots and intersections are not set up for the addition of golf carts, we already have semi-trucks, construction vehicles, little children on bikes, confused/altered tourist in large SUVs. It's getting ridiculous.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I am still trying to figure out why on earth a golf cart path is necessary in the first place (I guess I really just don't understand why golf carts are necessary in a non- golf community). And the bigger question- why is a recommendation from a 1995 study being considered over infrastructure improvements that are years behind - like the improvements and regular maintenance of the multi- use paths.

Is the family who demands that a golf cart be part of their vacation experience really the demographic we want here?