• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Dang, Bobby, you are digging up ALL the old memories! Wow! I thought I remembered a lot, but I am resembling an Alzheimer's patient next to you!

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
Sorry for double dipping but what about "Diamond Jims" on 30A at One Seagrove!

Yes remember Diamond Jim, Seaside sucks, and moontide.......
How about T Scotts, with the disco floor? best coconut shrimp around.:razz:

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
How about Junie McGee's mini mall inside of Seagrove Village Market!!!! Her son Todd use to work the cash register. Rumor has it he sold some funny smelling stuff in a bag from behind the counter!;-)

I remember Junie's very well. You might not remember, but I worked there also, 1982-1984. :D

And, I never saw Todd sell anything in the store or found evidence of anything, but it would not have surprised me. At all. He was one screwed-up dude.

SGB

Beach Fanatic
Feb 11, 2005
South Walton
This is the LiquorQueen's sister here. Thought you might enjoy this photo from 1964 of me and my sisters (those are bathing suit bottoms, not underwear - we were ahead of our time with the topless thing) with our mom on the beach in Grayton at the Pass (what we have always called the outfall of Western Lake).

In the background, above Beachmama's head, is our lone beach house (white) on the dune, and in the upper right near the corner you can see the old Washaway Hotel. (The Washaway was moved to new pilings after Opal in 1995 and it is now much higher and somewhat closer to the beach.)

You will notice no structures on the beach to the west of our beach house. That was our playground, and we had names for every dune and indian pottery location out there. We spent hours and hours playing in the dunes, making expeditions to the Lonesome Pine (a giant pine tree that stood by itself in what is now Grayton Dunes State Park - it was a landmark for fishermen and locals and was featured on post cards at the Store) and having picnics in Magnolia Grove, a place out in the dunes where the magnolias came together to make an enclosed "cave." It was quite idyllic.

What great memories. Too bad time marches on and that simple life is so hard to recreate. The dunes look absolutely amazing. I can visualize you all running around the dunes and going exploring. Your mom is beautiful in that picture, as she was years later too. Sure do miss her smiling face.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
This has been a great thread to read.

Most of my childhood was spent in Destin. I didn't start seriously visiting Walton County until well after college.

But if you think the Grayton area has sustained growth in the last 30-40 years, what about Destin? In the 60's-70's, there were three motels and to my memory, only three restaurants (Blue Room, the Restaurant at Silver Beach Motel/Cottages, and Marler's Diner).

Now it's freaking Miami Beach.

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
This has been a great thread to read.

Most of my childhood was spent in Destin. I didn't start seriously visiting Walton County until well after college.

But if you think the Grayton area has sustained growth in the last 30-40 years, what about Destin? In the 60's-70's, there were three motels and to my memory, only three restaurants (Blue Room, the Restaurant at Silver Beach Motel/Cottages, and Marler's Diner).

Now it's freaking Miami Beach.
I remember eating at the Wharf in Destin. We would also to on down to the Seagull in Ft. Walton.