• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
This has been a great thread to read.

Most of my childhood was spent in Destin. I didn't start seriously visiting Walton County until well after college.

But if you think the Grayton area has sustained growth in the last 30-40 years, what about Destin? In the 60's-70's, there were three motels and to my memory, only three restaurants (Blue Room, the Restaurant at Silver Beach Motel/Cottages, and Marler's Diner).

Now it's freaking Miami Beach.

Yup.

Some time ago, I received an e-mail of an aerial shot of Destin that was taken during the movie Dr. Strangelove (I think that was it - much of it was shot at Eglin circa 1950's - early 1960's). It was then enhanced so that if you clicked on it, all of today's stuff would slowly appear. It would make you step back and think, for sure.

JB

Beach Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
Tuscaloosa
I remember eating at the Wharf in Destin. We would also to on down to the Seagull in Ft. Walton.

I had forgotten about the Wharf. But really, you had to go to Ft. Walton to eat. Remember the Sand Flea? Awesome place. And the first location of Sam's oyster bar under the bridge?

Beachlover2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 17, 2005
SoWal
Yup.

Some time ago, I received an e-mail of an aerial shot of Destin that was taken during the movie Dr. Strangelove (I think that was it - much of it was shot at Eglin circa 1950's - early 1960's). It was then enhanced so that if you clicked on it, all of today's stuff would slowly appear. It would make you step back and think, for sure.

http://mindlace.com/strangelove/

Here is that shot

Bobby J

Beach Fanatic
Apr 18, 2005
Blue Mountain beach
www.lifeonshore.com
Yes remember Diamond Jim, Seaside sucks, and moontide.......
How about T Scotts, with the disco floor? best coconut shrimp around.:razz:

I worked for Scott Johnson for years!!!! My family helped put that place together. I was even a DJ. Do you remember the mini petting zoo and Mini Golf!!!! Right here in Seagrove Folks!!!!

botebo

Beach Crab
Feb 22, 2006
I was wondering if anyone could remember PC beach back around '58 or so. The Hang Out. Petticoat Junction, Trampolines on the beach, a diving board at everplace you might stay. I remember, not that is was great, but you could walk down the strip faster than you could drive. The Miracle Strip amusement park was just getting built or maybe not even built at that time. Petticoat Junction had the train, skeeball for a nickel. I maybe ole' fashion (of course I was young) but it was a great place. I could keep rambling but I'll stop.

Last edited:

supermom262

Beach Fanatic
Nov 5, 2006
Grayton Beach
I was wondering if anyone could remember PC beach back around '58 or so. The Hang Out. Petticoat Junction, Trampolines on the beach, a diving board at everplace you might stay. I remember, not that is was great, but you could walk down the strip faster than you could drive. The Miracle Strip amusement park was just getting built or maybe not even built at that time. Petticoat Junction had the train, skeeball for a nickel. I maybe ole' fashion (of course I was young) but it was a great place. I could keep rambling but I'll stop.

The thing about the Miracle Strip Amusement park was that when I was 18 (1976!), it seemed huge. We didn't have a car, so we walked everywhere. I do remember a long line of traffic in front of it. When we moved here 4 years ago, I looked for the motel we stayed at and the Amusement park. When I saw it, I thought "That's it?" It seemed so rinky-dink! I guess when you get old, your memories are always better!

florida girl

Beach Fanatic
Feb 3, 2006
Santa Rosa Beach
I remember swimming in my underwear as a kid, and running all over Grayton beach with my dog. I know LQ does too! I remember the old motel, and Mrs. Florence, (I got her violin), and I think it was Mrs. Murray that took half her cats to the Humane Society, the ones she could catch, which was about 90! Remember wild hogs and boar eating out of the dog dish, hot summer nights sleeping on the porch, (no A/C), climbing those wonderful sand oaks, finding all kinds of snakes, sliding down the sand dunes into the pass, huge fig tree in the back yard, along with a mimosa that the hummingbirds used to like to drink the nectar from the blooms, climbing out the window when I was supposed to be napping to play with the kids next door... Great time!