• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
The issue always seems to be growth. Now we wouldn't need growth if there weren't more people on this Earth. So to sum up your argument AGAINST growth, you've had yourself sterilized right? I mean to still be able to or actually reproducing that would make you a hypocrit right?

As a matter of fact, I've not reproduced and yes, it's partly because I don't think we need any more people. I'm certainly a hypocrite in many other ways, but not this one.

I know growth is inevitable, but there have already been many posts regarding the viability of the current airport. No doubt in 25 or 30 years it will be inadequate. Again, so what? I'd rather have an inadequate airport and preservation of the planned airport site.

People often point the new jobs that will be created. As exemplified by Miami and other large cities with tourist-based economies, they are minimum wage jobs. Bay County has a median per capita income of $18,700, In Miami it's $18,497. The per capita income in the United States is $28,567.

Regardless of our opinions, shouldn't the wishes of the citizens be observed when they voted against it? If we're shooting ourselves in the foot, so be it.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
Do Not Miss the old VPS terminal though. No toilets on the other side of security, and once the new terminal was approved they pretty much stopped all non-emergency maitenance on the old building, even after the post- 9/11 delay in construction.

At the end, it had the air of a moderately successful African IMF infrastructure project from the 1970s, complete with cheerfully molding and strangely stained carpets. Once the FAA/TSA made them get rid of the hidden free parking adjacent to baggage claim, the last of the charm was gone.

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Curious as to why you think the new PCB airport will have non stop flights around the world. I am not saying it won't. But my gut feeling as is that it wil not have any more service initially than the old airport. The old airport is way underutilized and any airline in the country could add flights now. The problem is not lack of runway or gates but lack of passengers. Again I am not saying flights will not increase as the population increases, but that would have happened at the old airport as well.

No problem with planning ahead for future growth for the region. But as I stated before: air service will increase as the passenger base increases, no just because there is a new terminal and runway.

JMHO,
Flyguy

Why else would you build 12,000 foot runways. Not just for an over run.

jamnolfin

Beach Lover
Mar 6, 2007
you mean the rednecks in ny? it's a ny judge that has executed the stay of construction. mind you. i'm from ny and there are plenty of rednecks there. but i don't think that's what this is about.

No, the rednecks from Panama City that force these issues. I was born and raised in PC, they fight change and progress every time. My grandfather says its been like this as long as hes known, back to the 30 and 40s. You can expect at least 2 to 3 more lawsuits before its all over. PC people fight the beach on everything, they say we are becoming like Destin. I thought that was a good thing.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ, you've mentioned the VPS rumors before, and if they're true, why is the VPS terminal area continuing to borrow millions of dollars for ongoing improvements to the site if it's going to be phased out in 5-10 years?
Sorry, did I give a 5-10 year time frame on that? Didn't mean to do so. I cannot remember how far into the future that road is being planned, and have no idea how long it will take to construct. Who know why people spend money on such things as improvements to the VPS airport. If the gov't is involved in the spending, maybe it has to do with giving contracts to friends of the politicians. :dunno:Or, maybe they are getting Federal grant money to make the updates, since they would be needed within the time period prior the the new road being constructed and open. :dunno: It could also be that they hope that by spending that money now will make Eglin AFB feel sorry for them and maybe extend their lease for a longer period of time.

Let me reiterate, this road I mention is only a plan at this point in time. Plans do change. While my inside source is very reliable, he could be wrong.

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Did just spend three days on business in Antiqua (just above Hugo Chevez) and the bankers we talked with said their islands success was tied to the fact the U.S. Airforce left a long runway for them when they left town. Now several airbus' and 747's fly in each day from London dropping off tourists there while the other islands near by of the same size go wanting.
Also, their beachs and infrastructure do not hold a candle to SOWA.
Airports are true examples of "built it and they will come" because they can't come without it.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
I wouldn't see Antiqua as a valid comparison because, no matter what the snowbirds may think, December-January-February are simply NOT bikini weather down here.

Unless global warming actually starts causing warmer winters down here, or the alleged Disney theme park gets plunked down in Sunny Hills, this area's never going to have the peak winter tourism season like South Florida does.