• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I was referring to the traffic, high rise condos, big box stores, crowded beaches, and the plethora of discount beach supply stores and strips malls when I said being like Destin is not a good thing.

Saw a great bumper sticker last night "If you love 30A, send your friends to Destin." :funn:

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SJ:

I can see your point regarding beach space, traffic congestion, and crap food franchises. I agree 100%. All of the above will probably get much worse over time and it can't be stopped. I avoid the peak season partly because of beach space, lack of privacy, traffic, and mainly... the unbearable heat.

Little Fish

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ:

I can see your point regarding beach space, traffic congestion, and crap food franchises. I agree 100%. All of the above will probably get much worse over time and it can't be stopped. I avoid the peak season partly because of beach space, lack of privacy, traffic, and mainly... the unbearable heat.

Little Fish
Well, we are getting a bit off topic, but what do you think is so great about Destin?

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SJ:

I'll try and make this brief...

I like the architectural design of newer properties, which has enhanced the image of the town. I like the fact that much of Destin is surrounded by golf courses. I like the upscale restaurants such as Flemings, Tommy Bahama's, Elephant Walk, Seagar's, Chop's, Beachwalk Cafe etc. I enjoy the down home Southern breakfasts at the Donut Hole, and when I'm in the mood for something different, I pop on into Another Broken Egg for their delicious Salmon Benny.

My wife enjoys the shopping facilities, such as Grand Boulevard and the Silver Sands Outlet Mall. Additionally, I believe Baytown Wharf was a positive addition to the area as it's a nice place to catch free concerts under the stars. In general, I enjoy the upscale feel that is coming to the region. I hope this also happens in PCB and suspect it will.

Little Fish

Rambunkscious

Beach Lover
Jan 17, 2007
Destin also has no tatoo parlors and "blue haze" smoke shops. Hurricane Opel took care of a lot of Destin crap and it had to be rebuilt new. I spend a lot of time in Destin and PC Beach, theres no comparison, Destin is much more
attractive but is crowded; have you ever been to PC in the summer, its kind of crowded too. I like the beaches in PC better because they are so available not like in Destin. The signage and general architectural ambiance in PC is rude and crude but with the new condos this is improving.

PCB has the most potential because Destin is pretty much done.

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
Let's get back to the whole airport discussion and try to add some perspective. I urge all of you to read the project description, first, which is located here...http://pcairport.pbsjis.com/. Go to the Documents and Presentations link. Click on Basis of Design Report. Click on the project desciption folder and, then, the project descriptin .pdf file.

Now, any of the pilots on the board will back me up on this, but the word "international in the name only means that customs will be available on site which means any high roller can fly into PC from outside the country and clear customs. It's a "point of entry" into the USA.

Regarding the A-380 / 747 fantacies...
The longest planned runway is only 8400 feet long. The following is copied directly from the project description.

1.1.1 Main Runway System
Runway 16-34 will serve as the primary runway for the airport. It will initially be designed for a category (CAT) I precision instrument approach with visibility minimums of greater than or equal to 2,400 feet Runway Visible Range (RVR). At a length of 8,400 feet and a width of 150 feet, this runway will be able to accommodate typical operations by narrow-body jet aircraft such as the Airbus 320-200 (A320-200).
A full-length parallel taxiway will be constructed along the west side of the runway. Connecting the parallel taxiway to Runway 16-34, right-angle exit taxiways and high-speed exit taxiways will be properly located to enhance operational capacity. The parallel taxiway will be offset 600 feet from the runway (centerline-to-centerline) to provide the necessary space for high-speed exit taxiways. All taxiways serving Runway 16-34 will be nominally 75 feet wide.
The pavement for the runway and taxiways will consist of a grooved asphalt surface course and will be designed to accommodate narrow-body aircraft such as the A320-200 (greater than 150,000-pound dual wheel loading). The pavement strength will be designed to accommodate the following gross weights:
? Single-Wheel Gear: 100,000 pounds
? Dual-Wheel Gear: 174,000 pounds
? Dual-Tandem: 300,000 pounds

Bottom line is that the new airport will not accomodate (at the time they open) any aircraft larger than what the current airport can already handle. Somewhere down the road, maybe, but way way down that road...

I'd like to see it happen someday, but it won't be for a while. The site can handle the expansion with no issues...

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ:

I'll try and make this brief...

I like the architectural design of newer properties, which has enhanced the image of the town. I like the fact that much of Destin is surrounded by golf courses. I like the upscale restaurants such as Flemings, Tommy Bahama's, Elephant Walk, Seagar's, Chop's, Beachwalk Cafe etc. I enjoy the down home Southern breakfasts at the Donut Hole, and when I'm in the mood for something different, I pop on into Another Broken Egg for their delicious Salmon Benny.

My wife enjoys the shopping facilities, such as Grand Boulevard and the Silver Sands Outlet Mall. Additionally, I believe Baytown Wharf was a positive addition to the area as it's a nice place to catch free concerts under the stars. In general, I enjoy the upscale feel that is coming to the region. I hope this also happens in PCB and suspect it will.

Little Fish
Actually, all of the things you listed are located in SoWal, not Destin. Destin in a different beast.

Little Fish

Beach Lover
Oct 9, 2007
Atlanta, GA
SJ:

Ok, your point is well taken. I just looked at a map of the area and never realized that Walton County extended beyond Miramar Beach going West. Most of the positive things I discussed are indeed located in Walton County. Nevertheless, I would like to see changes in PCB that reflect changes that have occurred in the Western Walton/ Eastern Okaloosa area.

And just to ensure our posts don't get moved to some obscure location... for the record, I'm excited about the prospects of the new airport.

Little Fish

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Egg-zachery, Uncle Timmy. St Joe could go in there and harvest the 50,000 acres of Pine Trees, then these people wouldn't be crying as loudly about the airport.

Your right. I say forget the new airport and cut the trees. I say we need the wood for hurricane shutters! :rotfl:

Last edited:

Babyblue

Beach Fanatic
Mar 1, 2006
Seagrove Beach
Let's get back to the whole airport discussion and try to add some perspective. I urge all of you to read the project description, first, which is located here...http://pcairport.pbsjis.com/. Go to the Documents and Presentations link. Click on Basis of Design Report. Click on the project desciption folder and, then, the project descriptin .pdf file.

Now, any of the pilots on the board will back me up on this, but the word "international in the name only means that customs will be available on site which means any high roller can fly into PC from outside the country and clear customs. It's a "point of entry" into the USA.

Regarding the A-380 / 747 fantacies...
The longest planned runway is only 8400 feet long. The following is copied directly from the project description.

1.1.1 Main Runway System
Runway 16-34 will serve as the primary runway for the airport. It will initially be designed for a category (CAT) I precision instrument approach with visibility minimums of greater than or equal to 2,400 feet Runway Visible Range (RVR). At a length of 8,400 feet and a width of 150 feet, this runway will be able to accommodate typical operations by narrow-body jet aircraft such as the Airbus 320-200 (A320-200).
A full-length parallel taxiway will be constructed along the west side of the runway. Connecting the parallel taxiway to Runway 16-34, right-angle exit taxiways and high-speed exit taxiways will be properly located to enhance operational capacity. The parallel taxiway will be offset 600 feet from the runway (centerline-to-centerline) to provide the necessary space for high-speed exit taxiways. All taxiways serving Runway 16-34 will be nominally 75 feet wide.
The pavement for the runway and taxiways will consist of a grooved asphalt surface course and will be designed to accommodate narrow-body aircraft such as the A320-200 (greater than 150,000-pound dual wheel loading). The pavement strength will be designed to accommodate the following gross weights:
? Single-Wheel Gear: 100,000 pounds
? Dual-Wheel Gear: 174,000 pounds
? Dual-Tandem: 300,000 pounds

Bottom line is that the new airport will not accommodate (at the time they open) any aircraft larger than what the current airport can already handle. Somewhere down the road, maybe, but way way down that road...

I'd like to see it happen someday, but it won't be for a while. The site can handle the expansion with no issues...

I am a pilot and work with a land use planner in the area. Long runways are coming to accommodate the A-380.