• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I'm with Glenda on this one. There are too many distractions already on 30a. I think it is dangerous. T(he firefighters are the only group I trust to not make some stupid move. (one group of kids one time even had a dog with them - the dog was out in the street with the kids)
Beach Bimmer, it says "right of way" not side of the road. It seems to me that "right of way" includes the entire road as well as the side of the road that is a part of the county right of way. I think you would need to ask the county attorney to be sure. If they meant "side of the road" they probably should have been more specific.

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
They use the same permit for the bucket drives/fund raisers as for other roadway activities by nonprofits such as parades and races, which are actually in the road. That must be the reason they just say "right-of-way."

I'm just shocked that anybody has the stones to stand out there - what are they, Evel Knievel or sumpm? Some of them are just plain reckless, though well-meaning. There's been a couple times where only my exceedingly marvelous driving skills has prevented catastrophe. I love charity, but sometimes people just overdo it and it becomes a shakedown. In this case, a safety-risking shakedown.

poppy

Banned
Sep 10, 2008
Miramar Beach
I would rather give to the panhandlers than give to these groups, at least with the panhandlers I know exactly who gets the money.

Henry Apfelbach

Beach Lover
May 14, 2011
The Firefighters have been collecting for MDA for a very long time now. It's our tradition to have a "boot drive". I want to thank the generous citizens of Walton County for always making our collection efforts a success. We make sure that all our collectors are wearing high visibilit vests and a helmet. We have never had an incident and I realize that we may sometimes inconvience you, but the people who benefit from the research we help fund would probably also thank you for you patience. Once again thank you for your support. Also, it should be noted that some of the guys are allowed to collect on duty, but many of us attend on our own time. This in the past has been a joint effort between the SWFD and SWPFFA. So, I would also like to thank Chief Rick Talbert for his continued support with this effort.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Your collection efforts are well known and a legend for many of us around here. There are exceptions to every event and yours should be one of them. I fully understand and support the "boot drive" and wish you continued success with it. That said, I feel all other collections at four way stops should be eliminated.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
How many softball national championships could there possibly be?

And are any of the team members from South Walton? I had never seen any of these kids before in my life. Why can't they panhandle in their own neighborhood and at least let our local non-profits solicit donations ON OUR OWN CORNERS. Or maybe we should send our groups up to Niceville on the weekends?

Oh wait! People don't go to Niceville for vacation! Silly me!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
http://defuniakherald.com/?p=3563

Officials OK roadside solicitation/activity policy

By DOTTY NIST

In response to recent complaints about roadside solicitation and “panhandling” in Walton County, county commissioners have approved a set of policies for nonprofit organizations wanting to hold fundraising drives or other events along the county right-of-way.

At the Walton County Board of County Commissioners (BCC) May 24 regular meeting in DeFuniak Springs Gerry Demers, acting county administrator, presented the comissioners with a document setting forth permitting policies for these activities. Demers said the document put in writing policies that Walton County Administration had been following for several years.

A permit from county administration is required in order for nonprofit organizations to use the county right-of-way for fundraising or events. These may include marches, parades, races, festivals, bucket drives, or any activity that may affect traffic or require assistance by law enforcement. Use of the right-of-way is not allowed for organizations, businesses or individuals other than nonprofits.

State roadways are a separate issue, and the state Department of Transportation must approve any use of the state right-of-way for events or fund raising.

Nonprofits are encouraged to contact county administration as soon as possible when planning roadway activities or fund raisers to discuss their plans, in order to avoid a conflict with activities planned by other organizations. They are required to apply for a roadside activity permit as soon as possible, and not less than 30 days before the activity is to take place.

There is a limit of two permits per year per organization.

Nonprofits must demonstrate that the activity or event “has a charitable benefit for the citizens of Walton County.”

Bucket drive fundraisers will not be permitted during holidays.

Activity organizers are required to coordinate with all local government agencies that may be impacted by the activity, including but not limited to the Walton County Sheriff’s Office, Walton County Code Enforcement, and fire officials.

Volunteers and other individuals participating in the roadside activities are required to wear safety vests and follow safety practices. They must be instructed not to block private driveways or other entrances to private property.

Signs for the activity may go up two days in advance and must be removed within two days afterward. Sign size is limited to 18 inches by 24 inches, and signs must be put up with wire stakes.

The document states, “When conducting bucket drive fundraising, all participants must be on the county right-of-way. Participants may approach a vehicle to collect contributions, but must not hold up traffic.”

An additional requirement is that a copy of the approved permit for the activity must be kept on location at all times.

Applications for nonprofits to use the county right-of-way are available on the Walton County Web site, www.co.walton.fl.us.

The commissioners approved the document by unanimous vote. Later, in response to public comment, they agreed to consider at a later date allowing nonprofits to do fund raisers more often than twice a year, once they have gauged how the adopted policy is working.