Panhandling at stop signs

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by PJJ, Apr 10, 2011.

1. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

I almost got run over saturday because a driver was distracted by the panhandlers. It is a safety hazard and snarls traffic at an already problematic intersection.

2. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Absolutely true and really needed here. It never ceases to amaze me that people can't pull up to a four way stop, note the number of cars there and then proceed when it is their turn. Those able to count to four should be able to figure it out.

3. Beach Bimmer

Beach Bimmer Beach Fanatic

Wish the Walton County Commissioners would consider:

• Ban soliciting on 30-A altogether due to the danger it adds to the traffic situation
    • Or revise the ordinance to grant permits only during what are non-busy dates
    • Or at a minimum, require groups that have already been granted permits for 2013 to stay on the side of the road and accept donations from there. No more standing in the road, please.

We love our local charities, but don't love you standing in the road distracting traffic.
    :thanks:

4. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

It clearly states that the collection activity must take place on the right-of-way but every one I have seen the collectors are also in the roadway. They are only allowed on the roadway to approach the vehicle to collect the donation and must not interfere with traffic.

5. SGB

SGB Beach Fanatic

I've always just put up with the panhandling at intersections as a total annoyance, but after today, I think it should be illegal. There is a team panhandling today at the corner of 30A and 393 in front of the Ed Walline beach access. It's a summer weekend and as we will see every summer weekend, it is busy. Very busy. We no longer need a holiday for 30A intersections to be busy. As I was approaching the intersection from the East, the cars had to pull over to let a fire truck go by. The cars were very backed up due to it being busy, the fire truck and a guy trying to pull into 30A from the right of way towing a boat. Not an unusual situation these days. As I get closer to the intersection I see a man and a child, a very small child, of about 6 or 7, in the middle of 30A panhandling for some Sowal team. I almost roll down my window to ask the man if he is an idiot or what, but refrain. I then look to the right and see on 393 a bunch of people of all ages in various places in the road. I cross through the intersection and see more adults and more small kids in the middle of 30A on the other side of the intersection. I am trying to drive safely and avoid the beach goers, other cars, boats pulling out into 30A, and kids in the middle of the road when I hear a siren again. An ambulance is coming down 393 and making a left onto 30A east. Who in their right mind would stand in the middle of the road amidst all this chaos and let their little kids stand in the middle of the road with them? The parents should be ashamed of themselves. Crazy. It should be illegal. These intersections are just too busy at all times with distracted drivers and pedestrians and it only takes a second for a kid or an adult to take a wrong step. Yes, I did call the sheriff's office. Apparently I'm not the only one to do so. I'm told they have a permit. Do they have a permit that allows a little girl to stand in the middle of traffic?

6. sharkstooth

sharkstooth Beach Lover

Firemen at 393 and 30A, is one thing but these kids, it is dangerous. I was very uncomfortable driving past them today. Respect they need funds to go to the next level. They need to set up and offer free car washes, donations accepted, in a safe place. Today was not cool, 7 year old standing in the middle of the street!? Adults on the side walk? Not good.

7. j p nettles

j p nettles Banned

Rather than direct your outrage at fundraising by organizations that actually do good, why not try redirecting it toward some of the folks who hold the puppet strings of some of our elected public servants. And look up the word "bribe" in a plain old dictionary, not a shyster dictionary.

8. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

There was a group at 395/30-A about that time yesterday as well. Little kid stationed in the middle of the street in front of 'The V' being pimped out while an adult male was on the west side, also in the road. His sign said, I think, 'help us get to the international championship'. International? So in addition to the apparently staggering number of 'national championships' there also exists an international circuit?! Sorry, nobody needs to be begging for money to go to Mexico or wherever the 'international' tournaments may be held. I wish these deadbeat parents would pay for their own kids, and if they can't, suck it up and work an extra job or don't sign their kids up for such expensive stuff.

And don't kid yourself, they are probably not from SOWAL, but more likely NorWal or SomewhereKaloosa. All you have to do is ask them from where they are from as you roll by. Only rarely will you get a straight answer. Why the county does not recognize this as the liability issue that it is is beyond me.

9. Jim Tucker

Jim Tucker Beach Fanatic

I'm against it.

10. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

As reported by WZEP AM 1460:

Commissioners were told this past weekend there were people trying to collect money on the roadsides and intersections in southern Walton. Commissioner Comander agreed, saying this is dangerous and can’t continue. She also noted the people were from Okaloosa and should only be from Walton. There is a permitting process and one resident was told those collecting said they had a permit. Staff agreed they likely did not have a permit. Comander called it a huge problem. Commissioner Meadows called it dangerous. She said, if they do not have a permit, then one of the agencies should be able to go out and stop them. Calling it an emergency due to the danger, the commissioners agreed to not issue any more permits until after Labor Day.

11. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    So even if they have a permit, it's still gonna slow down traffic.

In our town people are getting tired of panhandling at intersections. I think this practice will be totally banned.

12. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

Couldn't agree more!!!

13. Zebraspots

Zebraspots Beach Fanatic

I vote we stop issuing panhandling permits altogether and fine any panhandling groups $500.

14. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

Since when do we get a vote on South Walton issues?

15. Arkiehawg

Arkiehawg Beach Fanatic

Bunch of Rocket Scientist we have making up the Commish....
    It took them this long to figure that out??? :sarc:

16. Lake View Too

Lake View Too SoWal Insider

How many times a year does Sarah use this intersection?

17. Bob Hudson

Bob Hudson Beach Fanatic

Below is a list of Roadway Activities scheduled between now and Labor Day that were approved prior to June 24, 2013. There are no approved Roadway Activities for this weekend.

July 4, 2013 – Seaside Annual 4th of July Parade at 30A

July 13, 2013 – C. Dog Run Inc. Bucket Drive at 30A and 395
    (THIS IS NOT A WALTON COUNTY NOT-For PROFIT)

August 23 & 24, 2013 - Sandestin Triathlon Signage Only

August 31, 2013 – Harvest Vineyard Bucket Drive at 393 and 30A
    (THIS IS NOT A WALTON COUNTY NOT-for PROFIT)

18. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

Unreal.

19. tsutcli

tsutcli Beach Fanatic

According to Sara Commander (post 55) it appears the permits should only be to Walton County not for profits. Is this really the case? If so, how did the two id'd by Bob Hudson get approved permits?

20. Andy A

Andy A Beach Fanatic

There is an easy and realistic solution. Notify the permitted groups their permits are cancelled and return any fees they may have paid.