• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
And are any of the team members from South Walton? I had never seen any of these kids before in my life. Why can't they panhandle in their own neighborhood and at least let our local non-profits solicit donations ON OUR OWN CORNERS. Or maybe we should send our groups up to Niceville on the weekends?

Oh wait! People don't go to Niceville for vacation! Silly me!

Speak for yourself. That Po Folks fried chicken is worth a long weekend.

joho

Beach Fanatic
Aug 5, 2005
I'm going to side with Justhavinfun. I not only oppose of groups standing in the middle of 30A distracting locals who know where they're going but tourists who are rubbing necking up and down 30A. This is especially a busy weekend and not only do I think it could be dangerous but what kind of presence does this set for visitors. I'm sure most of them gave at the office on Friday.

"Bucket drive fundraisers will not be permitted during holidays."

If you look at the date of my post it was during the Memorial Weekend this was conducted. I think the county needs better supervision on these panhandlers!

Just Curious

Beach Fanatic
Apr 22, 2009
If you look at the date of the article you will notice that the policy was approved after the Memorial Day weekend.

Bob Hudson

Beach Fanatic
May 10, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
I suggest you read the article and click on her link to look at the ordinance and see that it was passed on May 24th - prior to the Holiday in question.

Also the article states it was passed on the 24th.

The article in the Herald was published after the holiday.

Last edited:

miznotebook

Beach Fanatic
Jul 8, 2009
Stone's throw from Inlet Bch
Sheriff Adkinson told us last week that anyone with concerns about panhandling or groups collecting money on the roadside should contact his office, and his personnel will check to see if they have a permit for the activity. The phone number is 267-2000.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
And are any of the team members from South Walton? I had never seen any of these kids before in my life. Why can't they panhandle in their own neighborhood and at least let our local non-profits solicit donations ON OUR OWN CORNERS. Or maybe we should send our groups up to Niceville on the weekends?

I have had a total mind change on this one. Why is this OK?

We are 3 days into heavy spring break traffic and the thought of having to deal with panhandling at the 2 busiest 30A intersections makes me pretty angry. Many citizens have complained, and for whatever reason, it is still allowed. I don't care if the group is local or out of town- I participate with several local non-profits and a public school, and fundraising is always the biggest challenge, but we don't stand in the middle of the road as a disruption and a distraction in order to raise money.

I am going to email the commissioners and so should you, and call the Sheriff - the phone number is 267-2000.

Last edited by a moderator:

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
It is legal except for holidays. The requirement as I was lead to believe is that you have to have liability insurance. It is also an effective way to raise funds. If you don't want to give, don't. I have yet to see anyone out there with a gun trying to rob anyone. The biggest issue is the lack of patience, saw a motorcycle pull through the intersection when it was not his turn and almost get t-boned and another vehicle did the same thing. These are such minor inconveniences be patient you'll get where you are going.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
While some sound charities/causes benefit from shaking their boots and buckets, it really needs to stop. Too many people just don't know where they are going, are distracted by their kids whining about leaving or in hysterics about arriving and then start fishing around for their change to pitch in. I witnessed a near miss at 395/30-A Saturday. On the best day during the busy season people seem to forget the principles and practice of negotiating a four way stop sign intersection-adding kids throwing softballs around, handsome firemen and bedazzled cancer survivors into the mix is absurd. If we are serious about keeping people safe in SOWAL, it should start on the highway.