• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Marion County Florida votes to keep Confederate Flag flying.

07/08/2015

Marion County commissioners voted unanimously Tuesday to put the Confederate flag back up at the county’s government complex.

The flag was removed Thursday and temporarily replaced with a flag with the seal of Marion County.
Interim County Administrator Bill Kaufman and Marion County Board Chairman Stan McClain had decided to take down the Confederate flag at the end of June after South Carolina started discussing its laws surrounding the flag at its government centers. The discussion was prompted by the shooting deaths of nine people inside the Emmanel AME Church in Charleston.

The vote was pushed by members of the public who turned out for Tuesday’s county commission meeting to speak during a general public comments section.

State Rep. Dennis Baxley, (R-Ocala) said “We are all exposed to messages and symbols that may not connect for us, but we should all honor our ancestors and protect free expression.”

Commissioner McClain said he plans to write a letter to Marion County’s Historical Society, asking for their assistance with markers to explain each flag’s historical significance.

“It’s a passionate issue on two sides,” said McClain. “What we are trying to do is interpret the historical relevance of this display we have. It’s either take the whole thing down, or try to use it as a historical tool from a historical perspective.”

This just shows how much power we the people can still have when united. The Confederate flag can now be seen flying once again outside the government complex as one of the five national flags which have flown over Florida since European explorers first landed on its shores more than 500 years ago. The other four are Spanish, French, British and American flags.

http://thextribune.com/this-town-ju...ate-flag-raised-to-support-heritage-not-hate/

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Well Misty I guess that settles it . Looky what they get to do.

Umm, I don't think it settles anything really. I only posted the article for informational purposes. If you're not interested in sharing information positive or negative about this issue, why do you read my posts? Like a couple others here I think your only interest is to "flame" those you disagree with and to get tempers flared.

Not going to play your game Cuff...you're outmatched and your ramblings don't make any sense. However, if you have something intellectual to share, I'd love to read it.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Facts are that the group supporting removal is better organized, better funded and has the support and assistance of media and the President. Further most politicians have embraced them as well. Yet, fact is that the group that wants to keep the flag has more signatures on petitions and those signatures are overwhelmingly local while over 1/3 of the removal support comes from outside Florida and 1/2 from outside Walton County. People understand that this is about history and heritage and resent being called racist for wanting their heritage preserved.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
I've learned a lot from this thread that has evolved from a discussion of the Confederate flag that is being flown over a memorial to one of SoWal's race relations and the lack of minorities in SoWal. It has become a very interesting thread to analyze and read. There are many facets to the populace of SoWal. Retired, new business people, restaurantuers, real estate personnel and many others. It is probably the most interesting place I have ever lived and that includes a lot of places. A large part of my thoughts and observations are now due to what I consider a very useful and viable website...SoWal.com.