• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've learned a lot from this thread that has evolved from a discussion of the Confederate flag that is being flown over a memorial to one of SoWal's race relations and the lack of minorities in SoWal. It has become a very interesting thread to analyze and read. There are many facets to the populace of SoWal. Retired, new business people, restaurantuers, real estate personnel and many others. It is probably the most interesting place I have ever lived and that includes a lot of places. A large part of my thoughts and observations are now due to what I consider a very useful and viable website...SoWal.com.

We're so fortunate to live here. I love South Walton County FL! I've seen it grow. It's still small town with great people. Hard working and so much care for their community. It makes a happy place for families. I don't care about building play grounds and Olympic pools. We have the most amazing natural resources to enjoy right here. Must wait til after August to enjoy our town again though.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Facts are that the group supporting removal is better organized, better funded and has the support and assistance of media and the President. Further most politicians have embraced them as well. Yet, fact is that the group that wants to keep the flag has more signatures on petitions and those signatures are overwhelmingly local while over 1/3 of the removal support comes from outside Florida and 1/2 from outside Walton County. People understand that this is about history and heritage and resent being called racist for wanting their heritage preserved.

Danny, I read several other articles about this last night, pro's and con's. Here are my own personal thoughts on the issue.

I detest the racist, bigoted actions/statements made by several people from SoWal (on this board in particular) that got one person banned from the forum, that perhaps should have gotten a couple more banned as well. Until this issue reared it's ugly head I never really had an issue with Poppy's opinions and agreed with him/her more than I disagreed.

I completely understand the pride, history and heritage that you and others have exhibited with "class" not "trash". I just wish that same passion would extend and lead to more positive involvement in our local government by the children who have grown up here, like Justin and Heather, yours and mine and so many other great kids ours went to school and graduated with. Can you imagine the kind of government we could have if we had this kind of involvement over all local issues that aren't as controversial and divisive as this one has been? Wow!

I support the Pride Ride but not for the same reasons you and others have. The Confederate flag does not mean anything to me because I wasn't born/raised here even though I've spent the majority of my adult life in this area and successfully raised my own here. As for heritage, mine is probably a little more colorful than some here...it's rumored (I've never seen any proof) my grandfather was a member of the KKK and I'm pretty sure some of my ancestors owned slaves. They were from the north while I was born in the west central region of the U.S. and moved around allot as a military brat. I didn't have the kinship that is so prevalent in this little Community.

I support the ride because the Constitution guarantees us the right to free speech, the freedom to peacefully assemble and the right to air grievances with our government. Nothing more, nothing less. For me personally, it's not about a piece of cloth that I have no connection to but it means everything to me that the Community has taken a stand for something they truly believe in and have the freedom to be involved in the process of defending something they are passionate about. It saddens me to think that after the BCC makes a decision the fires may die down and our kids will go back to being complacent in regard to actions made by our government that affect their lives.

I noticed in some of my readings last night that Senator Don Gaetz (Republican) supports the removal of the flag which triggered a memory of a conversation I had long ago with the now County Attorney, Mark Davis while he was still in private practice in regard to government led prayer. I completely supported his personal position (it's not the governments place to lead prayer) and if his opinion on this issue is what I think it will be from listening to his thoughts so long ago, I'm of the opinion he will also support the flags removal. As for what I think the BCC will do...it's going to be a split decision with Chapman, Comander and Jones voting a stay of execution....lol. (Just my personal thoughts and I could be very wrong but they are from "around here".)

All that aside, I do believe it should come off of Government land but for the same reasons the Nativity Scene and the 10 Commandments have no place on Government land. It fly's in the face of the Constitution that so many have given their lives to defend. I think you (or someone) had a wonderful idea about the government possibly deeding property and I believe the BCC should heed the desires of their constituents, history, pride and heritage and should IGNORE ALL outside support. If you don't live and pay taxes here you don't have a dog in this fight!!

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Misty, I agree that we would have much better government if people were more involved, especially young people. I hate that it takes something like a flag to rile people up, but, historically rallying the troops is what flags are for. I do not expect those who are not from the south to understand or care about something from 150 years ago in history. That is OK. When I travel north and west I see things that do not mean anything to me but that those citizens obviously care deeply about.
I do not want the government involved in my church. But I do not want my children indoctrinated with beliefs that I do not approve of. And I also understand that it is almost impossible for people to ignore their own belief set and be neutral. That kind of skill is much to ask from a 35,000 a year employee.
I support the 10 commandments and the nativity scene being on government property. The 10 commandments are the basis for much of our law and so it is an historical document as well as a religious one. The nativity scene is more complicated and I do not have time to get into that today. I'm sure we will continue to have discussions.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Just saw a friend post to FB: about 50 of these headed to 30A now...

Southern Pride Ride from Paxton to South Walton today. In my opinion, this is what its all about. Freedom to fly your flag whenever and wherever you choose. Just like freedom to practice the religion of your choice, or none. And freedom of speech. Those freedoms are dear. Most of us support your right to speech and to fly your flag on your personal property. But, this is very different from choosing to fly this flag on a courthouse that belongs to all of us. Like it or not, this flag has many meanings for many people.

11755637_10207554511691633_2383982591547491915_n.jpg

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Just saw a friend post to FB: about 50 of these headed to 30A now...

Southern Pride Ride from Paxton to South Walton today. In my opinion, this is what its all about. Freedom to fly your flag whenever and wherever you choose. Just like freedom to practice the religion of your choice, or none. And freedom of speech. Those freedoms are dear. Most of us support your right to speech and to fly your flag on your personal property. But, this is very different from choosing to fly this flag on a courthouse that belongs to all of us. Like it or not, this flag has many meanings for many people.

11755637_10207554511691633_2383982591547491915_n.jpg

Hmmm, another pick up truck with no obviously dirty, snotty nosed children, scraggly pets, garbage or empty beer cans. Seems like these folks have a lot more class than those folks who said otherwise.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Our President does not want to stop at banning Civil War era flags. Now he is going after Revolutionary War era flags as well:

http://washingtonweeklynews.com/breaking-obama-calls-for-tea-party-flag-to-be-banned/

I just read Obama's entire speech at the NAACP conference and there was not a single mention of the Tea Party or any flag. The speech was entirely on the criminal justice system. You can find the full speech online at the White House website, or read a real news article at CNN, or any other real news source:

(CNN)Looking to capitalize on an unusual political moment that unites him with some of his fiercest conservative rivals, President Barack Obama on Tuesday made a case for overhauling aspects of a criminal justice system that has locked away millions of Americans -- many of them of young black men -- for non-violent crimes.

During a fiery speech at the annual convention of the NAACP in Philadelphia, Obama declared the current U.S. justice system "remains particularly skewed by race and by wealth," and called for legislation that would minimize, or eliminate altogether, minimum sentences for non-violent drug crimes.

And he spoke bluntly about the conditions inside U.S. prisons -- including prison rape and solitary confinement -- which he said "have no place in any civilized country."....... http://www.cnn.com/2015/07/14/politics/obama-naacp-speech-philadelphia-justice-reform/

You're welcome.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Hmmm, another pick up truck with no obviously dirty, snotty nosed children, scraggly pets, garbage or empty beer cans. Seems like these folks have a lot more class than those folks who said otherwise.

Of course they are looking good! And why not. It's a planned peaceful demonstration. No one has ever said otherwise about our neighbors in Walton County or South Walton.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Of course they are looking good! And why not. It's a planned peaceful demonstration. No one has ever said otherwise about our neighbors in Walton County or South Walton.
I did! Examples that I saw last week were not exactly making a great case for "southern pride", unless being a slob is something to be proud of....

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I did! Examples that I saw last week were not exactly making a great case for "southern pride", unless being a slob is something to be proud of....

Yes, you told us about people you observed. And I've seen this kind of rebel crowd before but not around here. I think the pride ride group is quite another group.