• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The commissioners are going to do the most decent, prudent, and respectful thing for Walton County, and remove the flag.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
The commissioners are going to do the most decent, prudent, and respectful thing for Walton County, and remove the flag.

Did the crystal ball that you have used to judge others so harshly tell you that? Or, is that your personal prediction?

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I love a parade! I waited and waited, but the good old boys from Paxton failed to show. Seriously?! Robert E. Lee is spinning in his grave at these rebels. No beads, no babes in rebel flag bikinis, I'm really questioning our county's commitment to the cause.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
The latest from the Take Down the Confederate flag FB page. These are some of the interesting comments made on the page and messages sent to the organizers, and there were more that could not be printed. As a resident of Walton County, I find this completely disturbing and scary that there are people like this in Walton County. I lived through "forced busing" in Louisville during the seventies, and these comments bring back so many memories of the hate-filled people who were determined to make sure that as whites, they were better in some way, and resorted to threats and violence. And oh yeah, they used that confederate flag as their battle flag.

There is no defense of people who write these kind of horrible and ignorant rants, and the worst part is they are passing this ignorance on to their children. Thankfully this cycle of racism is being broken in most parts of the country, but isn't it sad that Walton County's latest claim to fame is being a hold out for a time that most other places in America left behind so many years ago. Yes, I know there are some people who truly believe that history is on their side, and are trying to intelligently discuss the issue, but once your side and message is dominated by the stereotypical Southern racist, it really makes the point that the flag really isn't going to "honor" war veterans.

The first comment is the worst, and I was told it is not the worst they received.

These are just a flavor of some of the comments and threats we have received from the opposition whose motto is "heritage, not hate." Anyone who supports keeping the flag up at the courthouse is standing side by side with these Walton County residents.
HERE ARE JUST SOME OF THOSE COMMENTS:

"Yall are just like all these muslims and liberal scum if yall remove our history to please these useless ******s and sand******s . And yall that sign to remove it must be from up north or faggot ass California !! Yall damn sure dont belong in our blessed SOUTH . Hey when the time comes to protect ur family from being eliminated by these anti white anti Christians thst want to make us extint dont come begging one of us rebel flag loving southern boys for protection cause im going to shove u away and let them islamics/ ******s take care of u and just remember u voted against the flag cause ur ignorant in history or a ****ing worthless immigrant and doesnt know **** that us white armed to the teeth country boys could of saved u but instead got shoved off and spit on !!! If this post offends u good cause I was wanting to all yall kiss my rebel ass"
***a lot of N words were bleeped out by the SoWal filter

"Geez...this is so ridiculous. Seriously, if the flag bothers you move."

"The next war we will face will be becuz of the color of our skins. You ignorant people keep encouraging it~! Might as well fold up your American flags as well~!"

"Leave it alone because you take it down then the american flag, your guns . If you cant stand up go somewhere and lay down."

"Y'all r just begging for the south t rise again... I reckon you'll see it when you all ignorantly cross lines yall forgot that we still draw. And it ain't us crossing them. Keep pushin, just remember it was y'all not us"

"I don't go griping because every city and town in America has a MLK drive, lane, parkway, blvd...etc...nor so I say anything about Black History month, Black entertainment channel, Miss Black America and I could go on and on. When did it become almost a crime to be proud of being white? I say if you don't like the flag...go someplace else. The road that brought you here will take you back."
"I'll sign if we get rid of the gay pride flag and Obama. God bless america"

"I'll sign if we get rid of the gay pride flag and Obama. God bless america"
"Everyone is so offended by things these days. Well let me tell you what offends me. When I'm out with my wife and children and some punk wants to wear his pants at the bottom of his ass so my family and I have to see his underwear. Or when someone wants to blare their radio so loud that my daughters,sons, and my wife have to hear every nasty word that the rappers are using in their "so called songs" these days. That is what offends me. Their is a lack of respect for other people in this country. And it all boils down to discipline at home. Parents just don't care. You want to know why I'm not a thief,liar,thug, or etc. And why I have respect for people of all kinds is because I got my ass tore up when I was a kid and did something wrong. And I'm thankful that I did."

"F#@$ that let it fly don't like it get the f#@$ out of this country"

"Well I find b.e.t to be racist. There's not a white only TV station."

"I am offended by Black History Month. I am offended by support your black colleges. I am offended by Black Panthers. I am offended by pants on the ground. I am offended by anyone does not take responsibility for their selves. But I am NOT offended by a flag"

"This is ridiculous, if you don't like the flag, don't look at it!. If it is flown in walton county, don't move here."

"I have black, Mexicans, and even Asian friends that hang and american flag and the confederate flag in there front yard it means freedom"

"If you ban one flag, ban them all. Makes me wonder how many of the 'feel good' churches are trying to ban a flag but yet fly a freaking LGBT flag"

{You can change your mind and "right" a "wrong" in Walton County. Sign the petition to REMOVE the Confederate battle flag from the Walton Courthouse lawn at http://courthouseflag.com}

Last edited:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
I was a 10 year old white girl when I would see these images in the paper and on the nightly news.

stop bussing.jpg

Last edited:

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
To use a Facebook page as a valid example of anything is a stretch as far as I'm concerned. You just validated why I don't belong to Facebook. Nevertheless if the memorial remains, the flag should remain as a part of it. It has nothing to do with racism and those attempting to make it so do not accept the progress that has been made in this area. Is there more yet to do? Yes, certainly but the blacks themselves now have to step up and help make that happen. Every one of you, white and black know what I am talking about.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
To use a Facebook page as a valid example of anything is a stretch as far as I'm concerned. You just validated why I don't belong to Facebook. Nevertheless if the memorial remains, the flag should remain as a part of it. It has nothing to do with racism and those attempting to make it so do not accept the progress that has been made in this area. Is there more yet to do? Yes, certainly but the blacks themselves now have to step up and help make that happen. Every one of you, white and black know what I am talking about.

Andy, the FB page is the official communication page. Most events, groups, and causes can't be promoted without Facebook. Whether you like it or not, it is how it works now. The posters are real people, with real names. Local law enforcement and the county commissioners have been sent these posts along with information on threats both in print and in person. FB posts are used quite a bit by law enforcement these days.

Last edited: