Petition to Ban Confederate Flag from Walton County Courthouse

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Beauford, Jun 23, 2015.

1. Misty

Misty Banned

mputnal,
    Hold up...this doesn't have anything to do with how well (or not) blacks are represented in SoWal. I'm not sure that this board is totally representative of folks who want that flag removed but the Uhlfelder's (who created this issue) are from SoWal and the majority of people who spoke at the BCC meeting are also from SoWal as are most of the other critics.

I believe that the NAACP was lured into a false sense of "you're welcome in SoWal" by the "remove it crowd" and they totally did not expect the reception they received. I think a real injustice was done because of poor planning by the "remove it" folks. They (specifically the Uhlfelders) should have known and or planned that the "press conference"/"protest gone bad" was inevitable because the NAACP expected to be allowed to park on PRIVATE PROPERTY and that wasn't the case.

The fact that this "protest" occurred during the arrival of the Greater Tallahassee Chamber of Commerce Conference was way more than a mere coincidence.

2. Teresa

Teresa SoWal Guide Staff Member

Misty, I didn't see an article that referenced maintenance, but I did link to all of the article that I posted to try to provide all info. I do hope that The Market Shops has a reason for what happened. Sounds like the NAACP didn't have prior permission for their press conference but I can't say one way or another based on what I've read. Just sharing info. What a fiasco.

I see that someone is saying they are protesting about more than the confederate flag but I believe that person is trying to create something that just isn't the case.

3. Misty

Misty Banned

4. Teresa

Thanks Misty. I see Jessica Proffitt's quote, and I'm so glad to see this. It wasn't included in the local article I posted above. Sounds like a big ole mess.

5. Misty

Misty Banned

P.S. Teresa,

From the article by Tom McLaughlin...

6. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Teresa, what I (a fellow human) am saying is that this issue started nationally as a protest against the Confederate Flag because of the slavery and racism symbolism being assigned to it in the aftermath of a mentally warped mind with whom non of us identify with. It soon became an opportunity for multiple agendas. There are some who have a political agenda against anything they perceive as conservative. There are some who have a local government political agenda. There are some who have an agenda against rural, poor, less educated people. There are some who want to believe in true equality and the MLK "I have a dream" speech. There are some who genuinely believe it symbolizes racism and white supremacy. Regardless of your reasons the issue has now caused division AND an awareness of South Walton's social and political climate. The NAACP wants the Confederate Flag removed AND much more. When you look at the economic opportunities in Sowal I understand their logic. This is an opportunity for them to have both. It is much more complex than whether or not the Confederate Flag represents a memorial to fallen Confederate Soldiers or whether it represents racism and white supremacy. The NAACP is not going to let this social and economic opportunity slip by.

7. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

Misty, What I am saying is that what began is not what will end. I hope you are right and I am wrong about this but I believe that there is just too much economic opportunity in Sowal for this just to be about a $50.00 flag symbol. I think I understand what you are saying about the Uhlfelder's but that is a local issue while this is very close to becoming a national issue. Someone is going to make money off this.

8. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

ROLL TIDE!!!!

9. Misty

Misty Banned

LOL! I hate football.

10. sunspotbaby

sunspotbaby SoWal Insider

I've declined to comment thus far. This has divided our community and it saddens me to read the insults by both sides. Now the NAACP is involved and we all know at this point in time, they are the biggest race-baiters in the game of making money off of racial division. booker t washington-.jpg

11. Misty

Misty Banned

Things to know about the NAACP;

1.) The initial meeting of the NAACP (circa 1909) in Springfield IL. was a majority of whites (53 out of 60 were white)

2.) The majority of their financial backing has almost always come from white Americans and corporations funded by and run by whites including Wells Fargo (the bank accused of stealing millions of African American homes) through predatory lending.

3.) Whites are currently driving the bus of the racial divide that has been created in Walton County and you don't have to look any further than the Uhlfelder's to recognize that.

12. Jenksy

Jenksy Beach Fanatic

I'm seeing white sheets coming out of the closet.

13. Misty

Misty Banned

Hallucinate often?

14. Misty

Misty Banned

Danny Glidewell shared this on facebook and I think it accurately represents what most Southerns believe in regarding heritage and pride.

http://southerness.weebly.com/

In case you stop scrolling because you don't think the pictures accurately represent southern heritage and pride please note the web site developers (Steve Akins) own message.

15. mputnal

mputnal Beach Fanatic

I am seeing angry black and white people coming out of the closet holding signs and shouting "we want..." while suits and ties (both black and white men) sit in an office smiling and smoke a cigar. The rich get richer and our paradise is divided...

16. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Pack your bags and move, Yankee!

17. Misty

Misty Banned

So, now I'm a Yankee because I don't like football and need to move? I don't like basketball or baseball either. Got any other names for me?

Wow! Just wow!

If I had to claim roots specific to a certain state I'm probably more "southern" than most of you who migrated here. I spent the majority of my childhood/teens in Texas and my adult life right here in Florida.

18. Teresa

lighten up Misty! 30A Skunkape is playing with you.

19. Misty

Misty Banned

Teresa, with so little voice inflection in written words it's hard to tell with some of you what is a joke and what's not.

But just so you know...I actually thought being called a "Yankee" was funny given where I grew up.

20. Leader of the Banned

Leader of the Banned Beach Fanatic

Isn't that against OSHA to smoke in the workplace?