• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I don't think we are for changing the way people live at all. But some of us do want a better government for South Walton's future growth.

And I respectfully disagree. Folks south of us want to take down a flag that flies North of you that many didn't even know existed until this thread reared its ugly head which means changing things....yet the South also wants its own government (incorporation) and to run the beaches in ways that conform to the South's sensibilities. I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
And I respectfully disagree. Folks south of us want to take down a flag that flies North of you that many didn't even know existed until this thread reared its ugly head which means changing things....yet the South also wants its own government (incorporation) and to run the beaches in ways that conform to the South's sensibilities. I could go on but I'll leave it at that.

Why wouldn't residents who live here permanently want to have more control over their community? Self governing is a normal and healthy evolution of a town into a city with leaders and commission, services, etc. The beaches deserve better care, the Coastal Dune Lakes and our Bay areas too. Our kids and families living here full time should be in charge of shaping a great future. South Walton is our hometown. We're talking about a big community of people growing by leaps and bounds.

No the flag is not in South Walton in an official capacity, thabkfully. If it stays in Defuniak Springs, I'll be ok with it though I don't have to like it. It's the County seat and it should represent everyone but it probably can't do this in reality.

The people living and working in South Walton make this place what it is. It's up to them to decide their future.

I find it ironic that this issue is a North v South issue in this county, at least in what I've seen so far.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I find it ironic that this issue is a North v South issue in this county, at least in what I've seen so far.

Because folks from the South started it.

P.S.
The beaches deserve better care, the Coastal Dune Lakes and our Bay areas too. Our kids and families living here full time should be in charge of shaping a great future. South Walton is our hometown. We're talking about a big community of people which is growing by leaps and bounds.

And only the south is capable of that?

Last edited:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
And only the south is capable of that?

Usually that is the case with communities that grow so much. Only they can decide to form their own government to meet the unique needs of their town. That's how cities form. Citizens take the lead and make it happen. Some cities are well managed as a result. Some not so much. Depending on leadership and the type charter selected for the city. I don't think we have anything to lose, frankly.

If you mean the Walton County BCC can do a better job, then I just can't imagine it. County govt isn't intended to run a town of our size, especially with such huge tourism and population growth potential.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Not true Teresa, the South is what it is today because of the BCC (most of which represent districts South of the bay) have listened to their constituents...all of them. Not always favorably admittedly but for the most part South Walton is what it is because of all of us.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Not true Teresa, the South is what it is today because of the BCC (most of which represent districts South of the bay) have listened to their constituents...all of them. Not always favorably admittedly but for the most part South Walton is what it is because of all of us.

It's our only form of govt leadership, true. We can and should expand that leadership and improve our future with self governing. It's about our hometown and what is needed to shape it's future in the best way possible. It's not about what the County has done or not done. The BCC has overseen our community in probably the best way it can given its resources. But it's limited and that's the way it is set up under the state of Florida.

At some point a town grows into its own city. The BCC is not qualified or set up to lead a growing town like South Walton no matter what, when or how. It is why cities become cities. The state has given communities this option as needed. It happens all over the country. All over the world every day. It isn't a negative thing. It isn't because the County govt is doing a good job. The BCC is not intended to run a city period. It is a natural evolution. Though it does create controversy and struggle during the process of becoming an incorporated city.

It won't be easy. But it will happen.

South Walton is what it is today because of the people who live and work here. Period.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
If you mean the Walton County BCC can do a better job, then I just can't imagine it. County govt isn't intended to run a town of our size, especially with such huge tourism and population growth potential.

Its gotten done all these years. Perhaps those who migrated here aren't happy with how quickly (or not) that it has happened but happen it has.

It won't be easy. But it will happen.

And just like jdarg's misinformation you do not know that as fact. The South end has allot of non-contiguous areas that have prevented it from happening in the past.

Different thread though.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Its gotten done all these years. Perhaps those who migrated here aren't happy with how quickly (or not) that it has happened but happen it has.

And just like jdarg's misinformation you do not know that as fact. The South end has allot of non-contiguous areas that have prevented it from happening in the past.

Different thread though.

Non contiguous areas have nothing to do with incorporating an area. The area doesn't have to be contiguous though most of it is.

I'm saying it will happen eventually. Most fast growing beach towns in Florida reach that critical breaking point. It's a matter of need. And I do think it will happen because of the talented people who move here from many other areas. They are often active in our community in many ways. No, I don't want to look like their towns. But most of them recognize we have a unique community with a lot of potential.

Potential is key.

The only real entities dedicated to SoWal are our South Walton Fire District and Walton County TDC. Both have strong leadership with a focus on South Walton needs. You may or may not like the TDC but it's mission is to support tourism in South Walton and provide support to beaches etc. It's always been strong and effective. But still it can't plan or implement growth management or desperately needed infrastructure nor should it. Who will?

When South Walton becomes a city it will still be under the County of course.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
mputnal and/or other interested parties,

If you are still interested in meeting Justin he will be at wal mart tomorrow from 6:00 pm to 8:30 pm for people to sign the paper petition which will be presented to the BCC Tuesday.