• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
This thread has branched into so many tangents and covers so many subjects that it is hard to even know where to start in answering. But I will try.
1. The organizers of the Pride Ride, the facebook page to save the flag and those who have been speaking out have all requested that those who support the flag be respectful to those who want to take it down and that no one threaten or speak ill of anyone. They have also rebuked anyone who has posted anything that could come off as racist. I personally DO NOT support anyone who says anything racist nor do I support anyone who threatens anyone for what they wish to say. Those who have organized the save the flag movement have emphasized that we seek to preserve history and our shared heritage.
2. Some of those comments that have been printed are so over the top, so ignorant, so terrible that one could rightly suspect a reverse hatchet job. I am not accusing anyone, but if I wanted to make a side look bad I would make up some name and publish just that sort of garbage. I do know that some of those on the other side have threatened the save group with all sorts of dire actions and have censored comments as well. It is all not in the best interests of our community.
3. I do not doubt the the majority of those wanting to keep the flag live in the North and vice versa. Many of the North residents have ties back to that era in history while most South residents came here in the last 20 years and came from somewhere else. That is not a slap at anyone, that is just reality.
4. I by no means will say that Walton County government is perfect. There is much we can do better. But the county has produced a pretty good destination that caters to a high end clientele. The failures have been in building the infrastructure needed to support the growth, mainly the lack of an alternate route for 30-A and storm water. And I do not think anyone can truthfully say that the TDC has not succeeded in its mission to increase tourism. Probably they have been too successful.
5. This flag controversy has been manufactured outside of Walton County by people with an agenda to stir division and controversy. This debate has taken our leaders and ourselves away from issues that would help improve lives. The poor, whites and blacks, would be better served by working to bring in jobs that pay a living wage and providing education and training so that they qualify for those jobs should they come. But I am glad to see so many young people get involved and hope they stay engaged.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Danny, I know that all Facebook comments made on the Take Down the Flag page have been documented and verified, all from north County.. Your comment about the group possibly fabricating them doesn't help the unfortunate situation. Have there been threats to the Keep side? I haven't heard this.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I saw some of the facebook posts myself. They are from real people with real photos and real profiles. It would be impossible whip up a fake profile with a couple hundred friends and 80 of your kid's pictures that goes back to 2009. Just so you could make the flag supporters look bad!:lolabove::rotfl:

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Teresa, I specifically said I was not accusing anyone. But those comments are just so vile, the awful spelling so bad that it makes one suspicious. I mean, if you are using a computer, which they obviously are, then spell check and auto-correct would catch most of this stuff. It is almost to ignorant to believe. It is certainly possible that a few people in the North might post such in an effort to sabotage and help the removal cause. While I know of no threats of violence towards those who wish to keep the flag, there have been outlandish threats of legal actions and restraining orders and such. This is an obvious effort to silence dissent and intimidate those who have organized the effort to keep the flag. Whether it is violence or legal maneuvering, silencing debate and attempting to win by such means is vile.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
Leader of the Banned, I would love to know the names. Please send them by private message. I would love to know who to tell to shut up and learn how to write.

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
I saw some of the facebook posts myself. They are from real people with real photos and real profiles. It would be impossible whip up a fake profile with a couple hundred friends and 80 of your kid's pictures that goes back to 2009. Just so you could make the flag supporters look bad!:lolabove::rotfl:

You can create a real profile, with real pictures, and names but that doesn't mean the information (name, age, birth date, location is accurate just because I put it there. I can find a picture on the internet of a beautiful, blonde bombshell and use it as my profile picture but that doesn't make me blonde or a bombshell.

Last edited:

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Teresa, I specifically said I was not accusing anyone. But those comments are just so vile, the awful spelling so bad that it makes one suspicious. I mean, if you are using a computer, which they obviously are, then spell check and auto-correct would catch most of this stuff. It is almost to ignorant to believe. It is certainly possible that a few people in the North might post such in an effort to sabotage and help the removal cause. While I know of no threats of violence towards those who wish to keep the flag, there have been outlandish threats of legal actions and restraining orders and such. This is an obvious effort to silence dissent and intimidate those who have organized the effort to keep the flag. Whether it is violence or legal maneuvering, silencing debate and attempting to win by such means is vile.

Well Danny, if someone is that ignorant they wouldn't know how to accurately spell even with spell check...just sayin.

Danny Glidewell

Beach Fanatic
Mar 26, 2008
Glendale
It is hard for me to imagine how someone could log on and put a photo on facebook if they are that ignorant. Maybe I give people too much credit. But it is hard to ignore those little red squiggly lines. I just misspelled squiggly and sure enough those little helps popped up. LOL.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
You can create a real profile, with real pictures, and names but that doesn't mean the information (name, age, birth date, location is accurate just because I put it there. I can find a picture on the internet of a beautiful, blonde bombshell and use it as my profile picture but that doesn't make me blonde or a bombshell.

You can do this today? Manage to friend 300 people, and trick facebook into saying you joined facebook in 2010?
I have news for you:

d1Z-thats-not-how-it-works-thats-not-how-any-of-this-works.jpg

Last edited:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Leader of the Banned, I would love to know the names. Please send them by private message. I would love to know who to tell to shut up and learn how to write.

I have no idea what their names are. I don't memorize those things. What I find surprising is that you are surprised. That's just typical conservative banter that's been going around for years.