• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Smiling JOe said:
Maybe the boys were preparing for the upcoming Mullet Festival in Florala, where they toss Mullet across the state line. :dunno:

I assume you talking about tossing mullet fish as opposed to throwing guys with mullet haircuts? :dunno: although i would like to see a mullet toss like that!

aquaticbiology

fishlips
May 30, 2005
redneck heaven
Sueshore said:
I'm all over this!!! The water has made a slow and steady improvement since last week. I do have some questions...where did all the rocks come from? Kids have been building forts with them...and then using their crab nets as guns as they play GI JOe...love watching their ingenuity!! Some of these rocks are very slimey. This next story of nature was a bit disturbing to poor me...yesterday afternoon there were TONS of minnows at the shoreline and some species of larger fish splashing like mad eating them...it went on forever! The girls (me especially) were scooping the minnows up off the beach and tossing them back in the water...unfortunately to probably be eaten. The boys were picking up the stranded minnows and playing catch with them. Ahhh...the differences between the sexes!! So, what was that phenomenon?

"balling" and "busting" or "driving" and "pounding" are the fishing words for the action of a school of big fishes rounding the little fish (herring or mullet) up (like cattle) until the little fish form into a ball for protection and then the big fishes drive the ball toward an obstacle, like the beach, where the little fishies are ripe for the picking. The striped bass they put in the lake up here exhibit the same behavior - balling their food (shad) up and herding it to where they can get a big mouthful. If you only had a rod and reel with a fake herring on it you could have dropped it into the ball o beseiged minnows and caught the monsters that were responsible and put them on the grill!

warning: contains some pretty graphic descriptions of what is going on
http://www.wayneswords.com/boils.htm

Miss Kitty

Meow
Jun 10, 2005
aquaticbiology said:
"balling" and "busting" or "driving" and "pounding" are the fishing words for the action of a school of big fishes rounding the little fish (herring or mullet) up (like cattle) until the little fish form into a ball for protection and then the big fishes drive the ball toward an obstacle, like the beach, where the little fishies are ripe for the picking. The striped bass they put in the lake up here exhibit the same behavior - balling their food (shad) up and herding it to where they can get a big mouthful. If you only had a rod and reel with a fake herring on it you could have dropped it into the ball o beseiged minnows and caught the monsters that were responsible and put them on the grill!

warning: contains some pretty graphic descriptions of what is going on
http://www.wayneswords.com/boils.htm

Thanks AB! I knew you'd explain this!!! One boy did have a huge net full of those bastard fish....I applauded him!!! I hope they grilled up nice for him!

steele mama

Beach Fanatic
Mar 14, 2005
Newnan, Georgia
jdarg said:
What a nice treat to start the day! My kids are going to go bananas over that stingray. I hope everyone down there gets out and enjoys this beautiful water !!
oh my gosh, Kurt. Can't beat that!