• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
...half naked booze-slugging barbies...hmm...might be worth a few extra bucks...

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Yes, that is one of the events, but it wasn't just one event that prompted the post - there are many others.

Definitely agree that one is an "adult" party.

Many of the events sell out. We have very small venues and even the open-air ones are limited. Supply and demand rules. Rosemary Beach Uncorked sold out last Saturday so why wouldn't they raise prices next year? Unfortunatley everything is more expensive in a resort town but even in a large common city they would charge high prices for similar events, and they wouldn't be nearly as nice, or at least not nearly as nice a setting.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
...half naked booze-slugging barbies...hmm...might be worth a few extra bucks...
Yes, there are always some women with great bodies celebrating "whore-o-ween."

I think the best ones are great costumes and great bodies - like the Dallas cowboy cheerleader and Eve in past years.

Last edited:

SouthernBelle

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2011
SoWal
Thanks for this post. I understand they make money drawing in all the tourists but giving a discount to locals would help some of us that don't have 'more money than brains' to be able to get out more. Times are not as easy as they were just 6 years ago. If the local venues take care of the locals that take care of them things would be nicer. Really where would they be if locals were not working for them so they could charge the toruists all that money? I guess it's the take care of home attitude that some events are lacking.

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
I know what you mean Scooterbug. Just living here, everything seems to cost more. Thankfully, going to the beach is still free. Actually, many of the events around here are free admission. I've never lived in another area where you didn't have to pay to get into a bar to see a band. Around here, I cannot think of one with a cover charge. Rosemary Beach, Alys Beach, Seaside, Gulf Place, WaterColor, etc. all have many events open to the public without admission for entry.

Many events regulate the number of attendees by pricing. Personally, I think Alys Beach's halloween party is rather crowded these days and I like a smaller crowd. One way to do that is to increase ticket prices until you get a balance of the number of people the event can accommodate. . They can handle a limited number of people with restrooms, bars, food, parking, etc.

Much like that was the Seaside Rep's tribute to Johnny Cash, where the theatre has limited number of seats. Maybe $40 seems like a high ticket price to some, but seeing how it sold out within two days, some people were willing see the value of the event.

It is simple supply and demand.

30A Songwriters is another upcoming high-ticket price event, unless you consider all the talent.

Almost every event which I know of in South Walton has a free way to get in if you don't want to pay for a ticket. You can volunteer to work the event and with some, you might even get paid for your work! Sure it isn't the same, but that is the free way. Otherwise, save up your money for the events you most want to attend.

Oh, and of course SoWal.com always seems to be giving away a chance to win free tickets. Saw one this morning for Mountain Film! yippie!

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Most of the events I attend in SoWal are free of charge and they are wonderful - ArtsQuest, outdoor concerts, Back to Nature, and various festivals throughout the year (I've never bought a ticket to the Seaside Wine Festivals but I've been many times - show up, go to wine tent, purchase bottle, open and drink - preferrably but not necessarily out of a cup).

There is only one or two local events per year I attend that are costly and those are typically for a very worthy cause, and very funn too, with good food, etc.

There are very very few really uniquely (big city-ish) events in SoWal and IMO, Alys Beach hosts two of the very best: Digital Graffiti, and Noches de los Muertos. Digital is $25. Noches is $40 (advance) with a portion of proceeds going to CHVN. Both end up at Caliza with DJs and all out parties. I do believe both events are well worth the price of admission. HOWEVER.. I will add my own complaint (even though I feel we are lucky to have these events) - for the price of admission, I would LOVE to have some food to go with those expensive wines. Not a hot dog vendor. Real food. Free would be ideal but I would definitely pay. Digital offers pretty good food choices... but we starve every year at Noches.

Last edited by a moderator:

Em

Beach Fanatic
Sep 18, 2005
Walton Co.
Hey now, don't be knockin; the hot dogs at Alys. They are delicious and much appreciated, and only $6 for the combo dog, chips and drink! I guess you have to like hotdogs and I love a good hotdog.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
I don't have a problem with paying to see an event, (I know they are far from free to put on even with so much volunteer help and even the supposed "free" events we do pay for through a community tax) my issue is with how much the prices increase year to year.

In many cases a couple could attend an event 2 years ago for the price a single ticket now costs.

"Because we can raise the prices and people will still pay them" and "you live in an expensive area" are not valid arguments IMO - especially in the current economic climate.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
I don't have a problem with paying to see an event, (I know they are far from free to put on even with so much volunteer help and even the supposed "free" events we do pay for through a community tax) my issue is with how much the prices increase year to year.

In many cases a couple could attend an event 2 years ago for the price a single ticket now costs.

"Because we can raise the prices and people will still pay them" and "you live in an expensive area" are not valid arguments IMO - especially in the current economic climate.

Good lord, how much better could it be for local vendors? This place was jam packed all summer.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Yes, those 3 months of tourists erased every ill in Sowal. Noone is getting foreclosed on, no kids are going to bed hungry, noone is worried about paying bills, everyone can afford to heat their homes, the unemployment rate is at 0%, and the effects of the housing market crash and the BP spill have completely vanished.

Give me a break. You know better than that.