• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

noledog

Beach Comber
Dec 23, 2006
Birmingham, AL
I would like to see a resolution like PCB's " all set ups must be 30 ft. from the water's edge".

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
I just sent my letter!!! Thanks for the email address, it made it very easy for me to send quickly and efficiently! Everyone just do it!!!!
She will usually answer...maybe in a few days but still an answer.

JBBeached

Beach Comber
Jun 11, 2008
Tracie, we had a nearly identical experience in Seacrest this year! It was horrible and any thoughts we may have entertained of one day investing in property there went out the window with our visit a couple of weeks ago. Rampant vendors are RUINING the beach. We're on vacation ... it's ludicrous to have set your alarm at 5 a.m. to beat the vendors to the beach!!

Try owning beachfront and living here full time and not being able to sit in front of your own house unless you put chairs out at 5:30 AM on your days off!

Misty

Banned
Dec 15, 2011
Surely there is a rule about no chairs setups behind homes or condos unless ordered by the occupants.

According to a friend of C. Jones son (a beach vendor) ALL the vendors are signing contracts with the homeowners to set-up. It was posted right here on SoWal.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
I have been visiting Seacrest Beach for 5 years & I am currently visiting Seacrest now. We had plans to meet with a realtor today to even begin our search to purchase a property as we loved the area.

The Beach Chair Company has changed everything & I do not anticipate vacationing in Seacrest further! I will spread the word that the rules of the beach which allow companies, such as The Beach Chair Company, to fill up the entire beach with their chairs, ruins paying guests & residents experience on the beach.

Not only do they fill up the entire beach, but half of the chairs aren't used. On the 1st day, I arrived at the beach at 6:30am only to find the beach was taken up with The Beach Company Chairs. So, I had to sit at the back of the beach.

Now I have 5 small children & sitting 5 rows back is not an acceptable distance to watch them safely play in the ocean. When you arrive at the beach at 6:30 in the morning, you shouldn't have to sit 5 rows back.

On the 2nd day, I got to the beach at 5:45am. I dragged myself out of bed, no bra, in my pjs, teeth unbrushed to put my chairs out. I was the 1st person on the beach along with another lady. We placed our chairs in the very front row.

I went back for breakfast & came out at 7:30am only to find that the Beach Chair Company placed their chairs less than 1ft in front of my chairs & everywhere else, they spread their chairs apart by 6' taking up the remainder of the beach.

The Beach Chair Company understands the rules that they can't touch my chairs; however, they are playing dirty with the paying guests of the community. Nobody can tell me that placing The Beach Company Chairs within 1ft of my chairs is an acceptable distance. There was another gentleman on the beach & said that he would be happy to begin throwing their beach chairs & umbrellas across the beach. The day before there was a fight over the beach chair problem.

I contacted the sheriff's department & voiced my complaint. He said they have continuous problems with the chair companies & actually responded to a call last week about a vacationer throwing beach chairs/umbrellas across the beach for this very reason. I strongly advise that 30 A change their rules about allowing them to place their chairs on the
beach. This is not acceptable & when a vacationer gets up at 5:45am, they should be able to get a decent spot on the beach.

That is why they are coming to vacation here. My suggestion is to allow the beach chair companies to rent their chairs, but NOT allow them to set up their chairs in advance. When a customer wants to rent the chair, they should go to the stand & then have them set up the chair once it has been rented.

This will prevent them from taking up the entire beach & leaving space for vacationers to sit on the beach. As a reminder, half of the chairs ARE NOT USED! Please save this beach community & vote on a rule which is accommodates/supports the majority of vacationers.
Great post.

I don't see why this is such a complicated issue. What you suggest seems more than reasonable. I will be writing letters tonight.