• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

jeanne17

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2012
TimeisFree - We have a condo just east of Lake Powell - at Pinnacle Port. I concur with everything in your post. It's unbelievable how much beach there is now! And the sand was white very quickly after - that last project was completed in winter 2011. I have pics from April 2012 that show just how gorgeous it looked:

The beach - Picture taken April 26, 2012, just 6 months after the project completed:

640x480_927226-565950-001-1360908388.jpg

The water, picture taken in May 2012, just a week or so after the above pic:

640x480_927226-565950-003-1360908388.jpg

I will note that after TS Debby last year, we did lose a bit of beach - but not too much. I will also note that during Debby, the water still came up to the steps of the beach walkways (overflow water, from surf that washed in, and then got stuck on the other side). I remember the morning that storm rolled in - we had been on the beach for several days and hadn't so much as turned on a radio or tv so it took us by surprise. Our master overlooks the gulf, and I remember waking up, looking out and I almost freaked out because the ocean had literally MOVED and was covering 3/4 of the beach. But within 36 hours, the beach looked pretty darn good again!

Our new dunes we're growing are looking great as well!!

Regarding other's posts about beach nourishment and private beach: Little known fact (maybe??), perhaps, but PP (and Carillon as well) had to give up their "private" beach in order to receive the nourishment. There are, in fact, public parking spaces at both Carillon and Pinnacle Port now (although the gated entrance deters most folks: you still have to get a pass at the gate and they do keep a log). But, why wouldn't any Walton County project have similar requirements?

Attachments

• 640x480_927226-565950-001-1360908388.jpg
    640x480_927226-565950-001-1360908388.jpg
    38.9 KB · Views: 754
  • 640x480_927226-565950-003-1360908388.jpg
    640x480_927226-565950-003-1360908388.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 769

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
TimeisFree - We have a condo just east of Lake Powell - at Pinnacle Port. I concur with everything in your post. It's unbelievable how much beach there is now! And the sand was white very quickly after - that last project was completed in winter 2011. I have pics from April 2012 that show just how gorgeous it looked: The beach - Picture taken April 26, 2012, just 6 months after the project completed: The water, picture taken in May 2012, just a week or so after the above pic: I will note that after TS Debby last year, we did lose a bit of beach - but not too much. I will also note that during Debby, the water still came up to the steps of the beach walkways (overflow water, from surf that washed in, and then got stuck on the other side). I remember the morning that storm rolled in - we had been on the beach for several days and hadn't so much as turned on a radio or tv so it took us by surprise. Our master overlooks the gulf, and I remember waking up, looking out and I almost freaked out because the ocean had literally MOVED and was covering 3/4 of the beach. But within 36 hours, the beach looked pretty darn good again! Our new dunes we're growing are looking great as well!! Regarding other's posts about beach nourishment and private beach: Little known fact (maybe??), perhaps, but PP (and Carillon as well) had to give up their "private" beach in order to receive the nourishment. There are, in fact, public parking spaces at both Carillon and Pinnacle Port now (although the gated entrance deters most folks: you still have to get a pass at the gate and they do keep a log). But, why wouldn't any Walton County project have similar requirements?
Wonder if late 2014 is still the start date ?

jeanne17

Beach Comber
Apr 10, 2012
Wonder if late 2014 is still the start date ?

“We’re moving to get this work done as quickly as possible to be ready for a construction date in 2015,” Pickel said. “We’ll know more as next year goes along and as we move through this process.” ~ Page 2 of this article: http://www.nwfdailynews.com/outdoors/local-outdoor-news/county-could-get-federal-money-for-beach-restorations-1.221391?page=1

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Thanks. Will keep the website listed for monthly updates. Since the article is Octobet2013 the next year he talks about is 2014 so I guess it's still a go for next winter season.

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
For clarification, it won't be before 2015. There is still much work to be done, and the Preliminary Engineering and Design Phase won't be completed until 2015. For more detailed information, go to www.protectwaltoncountybeaches.com.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The Walton County Tourist Development Council (WCTDC) is pleased to announce Congressional Authorization for construction of the Walton County Hurricane & Storm Damage Reduction Project (Walton County HSDR) in the 2014 Water Resources Reform and Development Act (WRRDA). In a 91-7 vote yesterday, the U.S Senate approved the 2014 WRRDA bill and submitted it to the President for his signature. The bipartisan bill was approved earlier this week with a 412-4 vote in the U.S. House of Representatives.

The Walton County HSDR project is an 18.8 mile long, federal, beach and dune restoration project that is designed to provide hurricane and storm damage protection to upland areas along the Walton County shoreline. The project has five phases and was initiated in 2002 with Congressional Authorization to conduct a Reconnaissance Study. The other four phases are a Feasibility Study, Pre-Construction Engineering and Design, Construction, and Monitoring. Currently, the project is in the Pre-Construction Engineering and Design Phase which includes all steps necessary to prepare the project to be bid for Construction.

“We are excited that we have received Congressional approval for the construction of the Walton County HSDR Project,” said Jim Bagby, executive director of the WCTDC. “This effort has been underway for over a dozen years and this is a major hurdle that was necessary to make us eligible for construction.”

The WRRDA Bill authorizes the project for initial construction and additional restorations for up to 50 years. Current estimates place the initial construction cost at over $64 million with the federal government responsible for almost $18 million and the non-federal sponsor over $46 million. Walton County will be pursuing state grants to assist in paying the non-federal portion. In addition, the local portion will be paid for using tourist occupancy taxes and a loan secured against future tourist occupancy tax collections. No additional funding sources are anticipated from local sources.

“I want to thank all who have been involved in the process, specifically Walton County and the Congressional Delegation, the U.S Army Corps of Engineers, Taylor Engineering and Marlowe & Company,” said Brad Pickel, project manager and president of Seahaven Consulting. “We still have a few more steps to complete before we will see the beaches restored, but we are making progress to bring this project to fruition.”

In the coming months, efforts will be focused on three main areas:

1. Design, Engineering and Permitting by the Mobile District of the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers
  2. Project Coordination and Securing Construction Easements by the WCTDC
  3. Securing Federal and State Funding by Walton County

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
As a quick note, there is another Public Workshop at 6pm on June 3rd at the TDC Conference Room for anyone who is interested. More information about the project can be found at www.protectwaltoncountybeaches.com

Thanks!

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
As a quick note, there is another Public Workshop at 6pm on June 3rd at the TDC Conference Room for anyone who is interested. More information about the project can be found at www.protectwaltoncountybeaches.com Thanks!
Looking at the Corps drawing (BMB) the new post Ivan dunes will be built close to the current low tide line,so it appears the new low tide line could be at the Second sand bar?
I don't know what TOE means on the approved drawings....but I did see millions and millions of Cy of sand being moved...any ideas of how long it will take to complete the 19+ miles....

BeachSiO2

Beach Fanatic
Jun 16, 2006
The project does maximize dune toe protection but the construction template varies based on where you are. The dunes will be built to tie-into the existing dunes and in no place in Blue Mountain will the project extend pass the second sand bar. It ends where it says "Construction toe." The dune are the three lines at the back of the drawing.

The project's purpose is hurricane & storm damage reduction so areas at higher risk/less protection will get more sand to decrease risk and increase protection. The project will likely take over a year to build, but it's too early to narrow it done more than that right now. All project timing is dependent on securing construction easements, permitting challenges and federal funding.

BTW, the project is slightly under 19 miles, not 19+.

Thanks!