• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Apparently the new vendor ordinance allows vendors to get a permit to vend directly on the beach. And on private property with permission. I'm surprised.

Rent Gear Here was following allowed procedure according to the TDC. But they have decided to discontinue the service at this eastern Lake location due to public comments. I appreciate that, but what's next?

Last edited by a moderator:

seal

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2006
When we were in Bradenton at the middle school state track meet 2 weeks ago, we went over to Anna Maria Island for a little reconnaissance mission, looking at traffic, beaches, and infrastructure as compared to ours. The most striking thing we noticed- there was almost no beach vending. Beach goers had their own chairs and umbrellas. No beach chair venders at the public neighborhood beach accesses. Very limited at the several municipal owned accesses, and it was limited to one vendor, who did not set up chairs until about 10 am, and then only about half dozen about midway back- not hogging the front row. It reminded me of how it used to be here when people actually carried their own chairs to the beach. It is one thing to be at staying a condo or resort- one of the reasons people stay in such places you are for these amenities. But when staying in our sleepy beach neighborhoods, why would people expect resort amenities like beach chair set ups at the public accesses?

It is time to start the process/movement to ban ALL vending on public beaches. Give the beaches back to the people to enjoy. Further, to accommodate condo/hotel properties that have traditionally offered beach chair setups as one of their amenities, grant them the ability to contract with a chair vendor.

I ask some of you from the Stop the Hampton Inn on 30A group: how to start this? Get a commissioner to introduce this, or can a Walton county citizen start this?

Meanwhile, start taking photos when you see this overreach.

Jimmy T

Beach Fanatic
Apr 6, 2015
"Rent Gear Here" is pretty annoying. They often drive down our private road, even though it is marked with "No Trespassing" signs. At first, I thought they were doing delivery/pickup, but it's become so frequent that there is no way this is the case. I need to call them and complain...

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
The chairs are out of control! Been visiting for years and have never seen it so bad. In Rosemary it cost me almost $300 to rent two chairs for the week. But I had no choice since they are set up, several rows deep, all up and down the beach.

What do owners do? I cannot imagine dropping $1.5+ million on a house and have to fight that when I visit the water. RB is almost as packed as Seaside now, yikes. I have stayed in Seacrest too and it seems to be as bad.

I adore 30a and we were looking at property in the area, but it's things like this that color the choice. I feel for the residents and long time vacation home owners.

carson

Beach Fanatic
Jan 15, 2014
Seagrove
The chairs are out of control! Been visiting for years and have never seen it so bad. In Rosemary it cost me almost $300 to rent two chairs for the week. But I had no choice since they are set up, several rows deep, all up and down the beach.

What do owners do? I cannot imagine dropping $1.5+ million on a house and have to fight that when I visit the water. RB is almost as packed as Seaside now, yikes. I have stayed in Seacrest too and it seems to be as bad.

I adore 30a and we were looking at property in the area, but it's things like this that color the choice. I feel for the residents and long time vacation home owners.

Beachside Trail access is a joke as is Sugar dunes access. There are now 50 set ups on the public beach squeezed between walton dunes and dunes of Seagrove with nobody using them. When you ask these guys why they are all set up and nobody in them.."they were ordered but people no showed" My ass, it has really gone too far and is a nuisance.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
Beachside Trail access is a joke as is Sugar dunes access. There are now 50 set ups on the public beach squeezed between walton dunes and dunes of Seagrove with nobody using them. When you ask these guys why they are all set up and nobody in them.."they were ordered but people no showed" My ass, it has really gone too far and is a nuisance.
it appears the Vendor(bully) tail is wagging the Sowal Beach Dog... Sugar dunes want to stop it? Call Beach enforcement and then report responses to ur Walton county representative.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I've recently seen photos of white wooden posts on the beach, placed by the TDC it seems, to designate area where vending set ups are allowed.

Surely there is a better way. Signs and posts on the beaches are not acceptable in my opinion. I've never seen this in other beach towns.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
With all my complaining about signs and fences on the beach, to see that the TDC is putting up ANY kind of signage is ridiculous! There should be NO SIGNS ON THE BEACH at all except at beach access entrances.

kemosabe

Beach Comber
Oct 5, 2008
The chairs are terrible. We have been coming down forever and are coming again this year but I am starting to look at other options because I hate the chairs.

dragonflycafe

Beach Lover
Apr 17, 2009
I visit many beaches as do many of you here. Hilton Head, St. George Island, Cape San Blas, Orange Beach, Pensacola, South Padre, The Keys, Boca, and various islands in the Caribbean and South Walton is very different when it comes to chairs. I'm actually taken back by it. Plus it's getting worse and I believe it will drive people away. I figure the government is in on it because they get tax money off of the rentals. That was $300 I could have spent at any of the local restaurants or shops. But I had to buy chairs- absolutely had no other choice. Grrr.

Last edited: