• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Abby Prentiss

Beach Fanatic
May 17, 2007
I think some control is needed because it's gotten out if hand. No one wants a huge wedding in a residentail neighborhood. Rental owners being greedy and folks getting married being cheap. If it's ten people wedding then OK but 50+ is not welcome.

Andy A

Beach Fanatic
Feb 28, 2007
Blue Mountain Beach
Let me say this as succinctly as I can. Some of us permanent residents do not wish to see weddings allowed in short term rentals. That is why the ordinance was proposed in the first place. As SB44 said earlier, there are plenty of venues available for weddings.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Still not seeing how having the same max restrictions as an LA slum and actually making people conform to land use is economic Armageddon. :dunno:

Does anyone have statistics on what percentage of rentals in Walton County might be negatively affected by this ordinance?

It just seems like common sense to me.

I don't get it either Scooterbug. I think it's more the case of those who would be most effected vy the ordinace throwing hissy fits that the world is going to end if they aren't allowed to maximize their profits without concern if others.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
The Fire Marshall is going to come and measure my bedrooms,.Yeah, that's gonna happen!. (Better come with a warrant Sammie). I'm sure Walton County residents won't put up with this nonsense. AND I don't think the County Commissioners will put up with this either;...Not unless they don't mind being voted out.

So what percentage of voters registered in Walton County also own short term rentals or wedding-related businesses?

As for the hysterical 'not without a warrant', it's common in many areas that if you rent out a property either short or long term, the municipality has the right to perform a safety inspection on that rental at X time intervals in order to make sure it meets minimum codes. (Usually the big concern is about smoke detectors being properly hard-wired into the electrical system)

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
100% of the rental units would be negatively impacted as a result of the proposed legislation being enacted in its current form.

I am sure glad I am not "common".

"One man with courage makes a majority." -- Andrew Jackson

WaltonIsOne

Beach Lover
Nov 14, 2009
Walton County, FL
Very few business owners are making "as much money as possible" in Walton County.

At the moment, those days are long gone, unless of course you own a local wine shop that also offers Birkenstocks to its patrons.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Mango - the house you describe is allowed to sleep either 7 or 8, not just 4. (Based on bedrooms it's 8, not sure if they'll round up or down on square footages).

Mango

SoWal Insider
Apr 7, 2006
New York/ Santa Rosa Beach
Mango - the house you describe is allowed to sleep either 7 or 8, not just 4. (Based on bedrooms it's 8, not sure if they'll round up or down on square footages).

Scooty, read letter B again on page 3. It says whatever is LESS.

Am I reading this wrong, because pro-legislation posters seem to be okay with this because it includes language about weddings. That's all fine and good, but this is also applicable to people who rent their homes short term who do not have weddings at their homes.
I would think that there would be more concern for this other than a few select anti-legislation posters on this thread? :dunno:

I'd also like to add that the "serial posters" are also productive and active members of our community and they may be your allies on another issue. Sowal is a small place, keep that in mind when posting. Sarcasm won't change anything.