• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Danny, I appreciate your feedback.

If I could, I would drastically cut back the TDC's functions. This area does not need more promotion as most of us know.

Now, you keep mentioning beach maintenance. Do you REALLY qualify the emptying of garbage cans as beach maintenance? That's a little disingenuous.

Keep in mind that most of the money paid into TDC comes from beach front rental properties:
Seaside,
Watercolor,
Watersound,
Rosemary Beach,
Alys Beach,
One Seagrove Place,
Adagio,
Bella Vita,
and many, many more beachfront complexes and individual homes.

So, if these are the properties that contribute tremendously to the TDC funds, don't you think the emptying of garbage cans is the least these properties should get for the money they directly generate - especially considering the TDC took it upon themselves to provide this service in the first place? Besides no other "garbage collection" vehicles are allowed on the beach.

Let's keep the discussions on the up and up.
Let's keep it on the up and up. The TDC benefits many communities and individuals by providing information on a location, Walton in general and Sowal particular. That being said because you as a rental owner benefit already from the service which is to bring folks down rent your property. Which in my opinion is more than enough, but as it is better that the TDC pick up the garbage for the betterment of our community as a whole and is a minimal cost to keep our beach clean. As for thinking the TDC doesn't do much else except promotion and cleaning, I would also dispute that, I believe they have placed sand up and down our beaches.

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
I believe it is the accusers responsibility to prove guilt in any civil or criminal matter. And as I said before those surveys and that imaginary line in the sand change every year. Some years the homeowners come out on the good end of the stick and sometimes its the public...

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Yes, this is correct and it is also part of what I'm trying to get folks eyes to see. A survey is Part of the WCSO SOP and must be included in the packet you give to them. That, along with clear, easy to read signs are also part of the requirement for a beach front property owner to receive services as it relates to Trespassing on their property.

I'm sure most owners don't want to jump through all the hoops and spend the $2000+ for the nice little packet.

Before everyone dismisses the sheriff's culpability in why signs are popping up, do a little research.

I will need to go back and read the entire SOP again but I am not sure WCSO thing reads TOPO survey. A boundary line survey is not sufficient according to Florida statutes. (I am really dreading the hours reading all those chapters again.I posted it several years ago when this whole thing started but that post is long gone. Maybe I should have put something about a blue tick puppy in it....)

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
Let's keep it on the up and up. The TDC benefits many communities and individuals by providing information on a location, Walton in general and Sowal particular. That being said because you as a rental owner benefit already from the service which is to bring folks down rent your property. Which in my opinion is more than enough, but as it is better that the TDC pick up the garbage for the betterment of our community as a whole and is a minimal cost to keep our beach clean. As for thinking the TDC doesn't do much else except promotion and cleaning, I would also dispute that, I believe they have placed sand up and down our beaches.
Appreciate your input.

The truth of the matter is that beachfront properties really don't need the promotion afforded by TDC. Since 2002 we've managed to be practically 100% booked for spring, summer and fall long before the more recent tremendous promotional push. VRBO and similar sites do a good-enough job of "promoting" vacation rentals.

Now if one owns a property off the beach, I guess it doesn't hurt that the area gets more exposure and that they somewhat benefit from that incremental increase in interest based on the massive TDC advertising.

But that's where the problem, as I see it....more people...no increase in public beach.

Destin and Panama City promote the hell out their beaches. I personally have had several guests say, "This is the first time we've come to your area because we don't like fighting the crowds at those places."

Why are we trying so hard to become them?

Mike Jones

Beach Fanatic
Dec 24, 2008
If the Walton County Sheriff has rules that are causing people to put up signs on the beach then they need to reverse that IMMEDIATELY!

The sheriff should be serving the vast majority of Walton County voters who want clean beaches.

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
Why is it the upland property owner has to prove their southern boundary?

Why doesn't the county / state simply prove their northern boundary? After all, if the public is being unfairly discriminated against (wet sand vs. dry sand and all), wouldn't the use of TDC funds be wise for this purpose?

What about the millions that were paid for the beach nourishment engineering and the associated surveys? Who has access to those surveys? Didn't those surveys define the MHWL? The erosion control line (ECL) was supposed to be established from that line.

It truly saddens me when fellow neighbors bring up the burden of proof argument.

I'm not making any argument. I'm pointing you to the source of the argument.

Ask your Elected Sheriff why he requires this "proof".

I've though it to be B.S. from day one and all my posts reflect that.

Renourishment failed! This is the next attempt at taking private property from owners.

Unfortunately, it is an emotional issue and no one sees the simple logic here.

gailforce

Beach Lover
Aug 29, 2015
Seacrest
I'm not making any argument. I'm pointing you to the source of the argument.

Ask your Elected Sheriff why he requires this "proof".

I've though it to be B.S. from day one and all my posts reflect that.

Renourishment failed! This is the next attempt at taking private property from owners.

Unfortunately, it is an emotional issue and no one sees the simple logic here.
Interesting that the county knew who to send the Easement information to. No one had to prove any ownership by putting up signs to receive a 'ballot' for ownership to vote for Easement access. Yet, signs must be erected all over the beach to prove ownership before the WCSO will come out for tresspassing. Signs are .....yucky!

Bob Wells

Beach Fanatic
Jul 25, 2008
Appreciate your input.

The truth of the matter is that beachfront properties really don't need the promotion afforded by TDC. Since 2002 we've managed to be practically 100% booked for spring, summer and fall long before the more recent tremendous promotional push. VRBO and similar sites do a good-enough job of "promoting" vacation rentals.

Now if one owns a property off the beach, I guess it doesn't hurt that the area gets more exposure and that they somewhat benefit from that incremental increase in interest based on the massive TDC advertising.

But that's where the problem, as I see it....more people...no increase in public beach.

Destin and Panama City promote the hell out their beaches. I personally have had several guests say, "This is the first time we've come to your area because we don't like fighting the crowds at those places."

Why are we trying so hard to become them?
And lets see how the use of those type of companies are going to cost both the user and the owners as the cost seems to be an issue as of late. As for trying to become them PCB, I would venture a guess from what I have read the TDC has selectively marketed this area to a different clientele over the years. I am not sure how I feel about privatizing the TDC because of how I view their effectiveness. I also feel the economic impact of not having a TDC would be negative and until we as a county are able to diversify away from primarily tourism to some other industry then I am all for marketing. Just my thoughts.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
It is really amazing how some people have no respect or regard for owners that actually own their beachfront property, worked hard to get it and purchased it legally.

Sounds like a lot of people are very envious of these owners and are using the "tourists will leave" argument to push their agenda of jealously along.

The tourists won't leave. Hopefully the recent (past few years) of ignorant and inconsiderate ones will, but the real tourists, the one's we want here, will stay.

The County needs to be focusing on buying as much of the vacant lots that they can and improving the beach accesses.

I also think the Beach Vendor issue is embedded in this as well and they are also to blame for this backlash. Many of them think they "own" the beach.
John what about the beach front owner who HIRE kids to be Beach Cops and Protectors inside their Private Beach signs? They also are paying these guys and then the paid vendor is allowed to rent umbrellas right at the wet sand line.

Then He sits there and rents to who ever walks up..

This can be seen 15'+/- west of regional public beach access at BMB end of Hwy83.
Who knows who contacted who first?

But mid summer last year these owners(owner) contracted with the Redfish Village vendor and let him set up umbrellas un-rented and no one else could set up on their property.

Pretty sure vendors on private property can also grill and sale fresh hotdogs and roasted nuts in the fall..

Let the good times roll.....

John G

Beach Fanatic
Jul 16, 2014
John what about the beach front owner who HIRE kids to be Beach Cops and Protectors inside their Private Beach signs? They also are paying these guys and then the paid vendor is allowed to rent umbrellas right at the wet sand line.

Then He sits there and rents to who ever walks up..

This can be seen 15'+/- west of regional public beach access at BMB end of Hwy83.
Who knows who contacted who first?

But mid summer last year these owners(owner) contracted with the Redfish Village vendor and let him set up umbrellas un-rented and no one else could set up on their property.

Pretty sure vendors on private property can also grill and sale fresh hotdogs and roasted nuts in the fall..

Let the good times roll.....

I'm not sure I understand.

If an owner (one that actually owns the property in question) wants to employ someone to watch it and / or vend on it, I don't know what the problem would be... Unless of course the employees are not operating within the laws and / or ordinances of that area.

A person watching property and enforcing rules may need to fall under the Security Guard definition and be licensed as such.

A vendor selling food may need to be licensed and registered.

Oh wait, we don't do any of this in Walton County, so it must all be OK.

Small Business opportunity abounds.