• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
STL Don said:
Besides the Eastern Lake access, there is another access immediately west of Summers Edge off Eastern Lake Road. :D
The beach side of the access that I think you're referring to says it's private. That means it's only for people staying in that particular neighborhood, not every neighborhood on Eastern Lake Road.

Our neighborhood has spent tens of thousands of dollars on building and rebuilding our own private access within the past year. If I see anyone that doesn't belong on it, I make sure that they are guests of or are renting in our neighborhood. I hate to be rude, but if the other neighborhoods want to have accesses available for their guests/renters, they can build their own. Not to mention the extra cars parked which block the road.

That's what public accesses are for. If I were a renter, I'd make sure that an access was available for the neighborhood in which I'm staying, or I'd rent elsewhere. Being annoyed at the lack of public accesses is not an excuse for trespassing on private property.

Last edited:

STL Don

Beach Fanatic
Mar 7, 2005
Beach Runner said:
The beach side of the access that I think you're referring to says it's private. That means it's only for people staying in that particular neighborhood, not every neighborhood on Eastern Lake Road.

Our neighborhood has spent tens of thousands of dollars on building and rebuilding our own private access within the past year. If I see anyone that doesn't belong on it, I make sure that they are guests of or are renting in our neighborhood. I hate to be rude, but if the other neighborhoods want to have accesses available for their guests/renters, they can build their own. Not to mention the extra cars parked which block the road.

That's what public accesses are for. If I were a renter, I'd make sure that an access was available for the neighborhood in which I'm staying, or I'd rent elsewhere. Being annoyed at the lack of public accesses is not an excuse for trespassing on private property.
Good to see that you are back to your old form. :sosad:

Mermaid

picky
Aug 11, 2005
nancy jean said:
Thanks everybody! When I was there I used both the Eastern Lake access and the one to the west of Ryan Street. The kids love to be near Eastern Lake and the beach was sooooooo beautiful! I guess we'll just have to put up with a little inconvenience for awhile longer, the clear water and white sand are worth the walk. Hopefully my guests will feel the same :D

That's the access I'm talking about, at the edge of the lake. It's very nicely done and the county had the steps rebuilt within seven days of the hurricane in July.

I have a confession to make, Beach Runner. I regularly tresspass on the access at the Palms of Seagrove because our deeded access hasn't been repaired yet and there's no other way down to the beach. :eek: So far no one has yelled at me. :cool:

STL Don said:
Good to see that you are back to your old form. :sosad:
Please. Don't go there. I don't have a problem with offering my house gratis to Katrina evacuees (which I've done), and I don't have a problem with offering our access to the neighborhood next door (because they've done us favors), but I don't want to pay for beach access to renters from other neighborhoods in order to allow the owners of those rental properties to profit from those rentals due to our investments in our access. It's just not fair. Plain and simple. We rebuilt ours so that we and our rental guests could access the beach without driving. If a given neighborhood wants to have that convenience, they can invest as we have.

nancy jean

Beach Comber
Jul 12, 2005
Marietta, GA
I beg to differ on the trespassing issue. The access for the neighborhood in which I own is public (to be built by the county) and has not yet been rebuilt. I don't know if the access is public or private, but it is NOT posted private. How/why would you want to stop people from accessing the beach on a path that appears to be public? It's a gravel path, is not near any homes, leads to a set of stairs, and I've been told it is available to be used until our access is rebuilt.

kurt said:
Many places have relaxed and shared with their neighbors.
Yes, but that should be done with consent, as we've done for some of our neighbors on request, not just random people showing up and potentially blocking all of the parking on our street, causing a parking problem for our own guests/renters, not to mention the higher density of beach stuff (and lack of privacy for which we've paid dearly) on our part of the beach.

And Katrina was, like, 2 months ago. Why should the 'hoods with the accesses be the Mommas of the 'hoods that haven't paid for their own accesses? It's not like it's poor vs rich. We're all south of 30-A, so obviously we can all afford to pay our own way.

Of course, this is coming from someone who feels as though she has done her part (providing beach access for her guests/renters and offering her home gratis to many friends who have evacuated from NOLA), yet has had her insurance cancelled. Now THAT'S not fair. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

No more on this subject. Slam me all you'd like. I'm outta here. You know you'd feel the same if you were in my position. And accessing private property is trespassing. You know it. If there's a law that says that an access is public if a private sign isn't hung, we'll get that mutha up fast!

In case you can't tell, I'm in a bad mood, and I won't go into it. Please forgive me. But I'm still right about this issue.

Wastin Away

Beach Lover
Sep 20, 2005
Beach Runner said:
Yes, but that should be done with consent, as we've done for some of our neighbors on request, not just random people showing up and potentially blocking all of the parking on our street, causing a parking problem for our own guests/renters, not to mention the higher density of beach stuff (and lack of privacy for which we've paid dearly) on our part of the beach.

And Katrina was, like, 2 months ago. Why should the 'hoods with the accesses be the Mommas of the 'hoods that haven't paid for their own accesses? It's not like it's poor vs rich. We're all south of 30-A, so obviously we can all afford to pay our own way.

Of course, this is coming from someone who feels as though she has done her part (providing beach access for her guests/renters and offering her home gratis to many friends who have evacuated from NOLA), yet has had her insurance cancelled. Now THAT'S not fair. :bang::bang::bang::bang::bang:

No more on this subject. Slam me all you'd like. I'm outta here. You know you'd feel the same if you were in my position. And accessing private property is trespassing. You know it. If there's a law that says that an access is public if a private sign isn't hung, we'll get that mutha up fast!

In case you can't tell, I'm in a bad mood, and I won't go into it. Please forgive me. But I'm still right about this issue.

I am an owner of a home in which the accesses are up for discussion. One of the accesses in which you refer to as private is in a neighborhood that currently has no homes. Some of the owners of the lots in that neighborhood own homes in our neighborhood and have been gracious enough to extend the right to use that access. As Kurt says, under the circumstances everyone is trying to work together . Our neighborhood association tried to get the county to let us build the access back ourselves and they would not allow that so we are having to wait on them. If we could we would have the access repaired, at our expense, in order to provide a way to get to the beach, but until they get there to complete it I don't have a problem with someone using an access temporarily. I, too, have done my part and have had NO guests stay at no charge and I have done my best to make their stay as good as it could be. And if that means I send them to another access then I would hope those So. Walton residents would understand. Some of us have no chose to rebuild or not, we are just thankful we have a home and we have a beach and I too had my insurance cancelled but it could be worse.