• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Tootsie said:
Nicks is my all time favorite "fried seafood" joint for sure!
I have eaten Goatfeather's Raw Oyst, and have had hit and miss experiences with them. The service is so terrible and slow, that I haven't been back for a year or two.

I have a new favorite "fried seafood" joint over around West Bay, but they don't serve Raw Oyst. -- Boondocks, located a few miles north of Hwy 98 on Hwy 79, just south of the Bay. If you cross the bridge, you have gone a hair too far. They have the best Fried Shrimp I have ever eaten, and I have eaten my share of Fried Shrimp. The service fits the restaurant, rural and very sincere and welcoming. Definitely worth the drive -- 25 minutes from Grayton.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I agree Goatfeather's isn't the best restaurant in town. But, we go there ONLY for the oysters - and they serve the small ones which are just the best! We went a month ago and had a few dozen - never had better. It may be that they are also a seafood market with fresh local (regional) seafood always at hand.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Beach Runner said:
I didn't think you could eat raw oysters in the South unless it was an "R" month or you've been vaccinated against hepatitis. That was always the rule we used when we lived in NOLA.

There was a long discussion on this topic a few months back. In summary, oysters are fully edible all year. The R thing dates back to prerefrigeration days, so they would get kinda skunky sitting around in the r months (May, June, July, August-how convenient!). No more is this a concern with modern transportation and refrigeration! :clap_1: Now, as far as hepatitis goes, the beds are regulated religiously and closed if there is a spike in coliform bacteria. That said, even if you consumed a 'bad oyster' and went on to develop hepatitis, it would be hepatitis A, which to people with healthy immune systems and livers is a miserable self-limited gastrointestinal condition with no long term issues. The trick is people with other forms of hepatitis (B,C,D, etc) should avoid raw shellfish as contracting Hep A can really deliver a wicked punch to the liver. That is why all people with Hep B should receive the Hep A vaccine. And in case you didn't know, all of the kids are getting both of these now :clap_1: :clap_1: There is also some buzz regarding a bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, that strikes down people who consume raw oysters, but this is a really rare event and as with hepatitis is usually only a severe issue for immunocompromised induviduals. So, eat raw oysters I say, they are delicious, full of nutrients, safe and a great little economic boost for the local economy!

InletBchDweller

SoWal Insider
Feb 14, 2006
Prairieville, La
Smiling JOe said:
I have eaten Goatfeather's Raw Oyst, and have had hit and miss experiences with them. The service is so terrible and slow, that I haven't been back for a year or two.

I have a new favorite "fried seafood" joint over around West Bay, but they don't serve Raw Oyst. -- Boondocks, located a few miles north of Hwy 98 on Hwy 79, just south of the Bay. If you cross the bridge, you have gone a hair too far. They have the best Fried Shrimp I have ever eaten, and I have eaten my share of Fried Shrimp. The service fits the restaurant, rural and very sincere and welcoming. Definitely worth the drive -- 25 minutes from Grayton.

Wow SJ seems you are starting to venture into my neck of the woods more often. Boondocks is great....PM me whenever you want to go....:D

30A Skunkape said:
There was a long discussion on this topic a few months back. In summary, oysters are fully edible all year. The R thing dates back to prerefrigeration days, so they would get kinda skunky sitting around in the r months (May, June, July, August-how convenient!). No more is this a concern with modern transportation and refrigeration! :clap_1: Now, as far as hepatitis goes, the beds are regulated religiously and closed if there is a spike in coliform bacteria. That said, even if you consumed a 'bad oyster' and went on to develop hepatitis, it would be hepatitis A, which to people with healthy immune systems and livers is a miserable self-limited gastrointestinal condition with no long term issues. The trick is people with other forms of hepatitis (B,C,D, etc) should avoid raw shellfish as contracting Hep A can really deliver a wicked punch to the liver. That is why all people with Hep B should receive the Hep A vaccine. And in case you didn't know, all of the kids are getting both of these now :clap_1: :clap_1: There is also some buzz regarding a bacteria, Vibrio vulnificus, that strikes down people who consume raw oysters, but this is a really rare event and as with hepatitis is usually only a severe issue for immunocompromised induviduals. So, eat raw oysters I say, they are delicious, full of nutrients, safe and a great little economic boost for the local economy!
I obviously missed that thread. I had a friend in her twenties who died from eating raw oysters in the summertime, so I've avoided them since then. Didn't know the "R" rule was old school. Hubby doesn't have to worry since he's had all of the hepatitis vaccines due to going to third-world countries looking for manufacturing sites.

Yes, my daughter's pediatrician recommended the hepatitis shots before it was de rigueur. BTW he also recommended meningitis vaccine before she went to college.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
30A Skunkape said:

I'm glad you cleared this up because I, too, was of the "month of R" belief. About 15 years ago, I had a false-positive test for lupus and knew that would be the end of eating raw oysters. Now, I just eat them fried.
I also knew a few adults when I was a child that contracted Hep. A, supposedly from raw oysters, but I imagine their livers were already comprimised from alcohol.

goin' coastal

Beach Lover
Jul 11, 2005
30A Skunkape said:

:eek: What a coincidence my husband came home TODAY with a patient story(no names mentioned HIPPA rules) with Vibrio from raw oysters. He will most likely have his toes to feet amputated due to this. Blisters, burns, infection. He was immune compromised secondary to hepatitis. Just be careful out there.

Rudyjohn

SoWal Insider
Feb 10, 2005
Chicago Area
goin' coastal said:
:eek: What a coincidence my husband came home TODAY with a patient story(no names mentioned HIPPA rules) with Vibrio from raw oysters. He will most likely have his toes to feet amputated due to this. Blisters, burns, infection. He was immune compromised secondary to hepatitis. Just be careful out there.
:eek: