• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
JB said:
I think that is pretty much an old wives tale. My understanding is the "R" rule originated before the days of ice and refrigeration, so naturally the "R" months were cooler in nature, so the oysters kept better. But many people still swear by it.

However, I DO think oysters harvested in colder water are better. They seem to be bigger, more salty, etc.

I certainly don't think it is unsafe to eat a raw oyster in the middle of the summer. (unless you have a compromised immune system, in which case you shouldn't eat them anyway, regardless of the month).
The ice and refridgeration are definitely important factors in the months-without-R, but also playing an important role is the FDA (or is it USDA?) oversight of oyster harveting.

30A Skunkape

Skunky
Jan 18, 2006
Backatown Seagrove
Smiling JOe said:
The ice and refridgeration are definitely important factors in the months-without-R, but also playing an important role is the FDA (or is it USDA?) oversight of oyster harveting.

I think this usually falls under the state department of agriculture, but the real policing is by the oystermen themselves. The outbreak of foodborne illness makes great news fodder and does serious longterm damage to an already fragile industry.

KentuckyBoy

Beach Crab
Jul 7, 2006
Louisville, KY
steeleing1 said:
Dusty's in Panama City Beach has good oysters (and local flavor). It's on Front Beach Road just past the Hwy. 79 intersection.

And cold, cold Budweisers! The oysters are so good a few years back I ate there for lunch 3 days in a row while on vacation in Panama City Beach. I averaged about 8 dozen a sitting, (they actually give you a bakers dozen, 13) and quite a few cold brewskies. I am a raw oyster fanatic and these were dandy.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
KentuckyBoy said:
And cold, cold Budweisers! The oysters are so good a few years back I ate there for lunch 3 days in a row while on vacation in Panama City Beach. I averaged about 8 dozen a sitting, (they actually give you a bakers dozen, 13) and quite a few cold brewskies. I am a raw oyster fanatic and these were dandy.

sounds yummmmmmyyyyyyyyy!!!!!!!!!:D

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Cil said:
heh
IMHO, adding a 40 inch TV screen is not fine dining.
Well it is a flat screen. :funn: Heck, the IPRB is very dressed up. Looks like they even painted the outside.