• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
BMBV, I was at this meeting and have spoken with many neighbors. That Commissioner was a lone voice in a resounding approval of the project. It was sad to see you ruin this with the same approach you have taken on this thread only this time you were face to face with a Commissioner and Planning Staff who would not take your slanderous tone. You should be embarrassed and ashamed and at least have given your postings a rest for more than one day just out of pure respect for what you did to your neighbors' cause.

KT...bold words from someone who doesn't live where he says he'd lives.

BlueMtnBeachVagrant

Beach Fanatic
Jun 20, 2005
From The Walton Sun - January 27th, 2007:

Developers granted private beach access

By Gabriel Tynes gtynes@link.freedom.com

With District 5 Commissioner Cindy Meadows absent, the Board of County Commissioners voted three-to-one to allow the developers of Redfi sh Village to construct a private beach access for its tenants Tuesday. District 4 Commissioner Sara Comander was the lone nay vote, citing the lack of Meadow?s opinion as the access is in Meadows? district. Now, residents near the 80-foot wide lot at 260 Blue Mountain Rd. can expect to have more than 300 new seasonal neighbors.
?This is a multi-faceted issue,? Comander said. ?And I know people in Redfish Village are going to go to the beach somehow, someway. But this is the single greatest issue our beaches have faced since height restrictions, and I?d like to hear what [Meadows] has to say.?
Opponents of the project are worried the private access will set a precedent for other landward developments and pave the way for the public?s exclusion from beaches. Blue Mountain resident Eileen Mackett was also concerned the access did not meet guidelines for compatibility set forth in the county?s land development code. Mackett recited selected phrases from the code Tuesday, and challenged county planners to explain how the development meets certain requirements.
?No one has been able to answer how this development fits into the existing neighborhood pattern,? Mackett said.
Redfish Village?s pursuit of a private access began more than two years ago, when it purchased a beachfront parcel six lots east of County Road 83 to accompany its 80-unit community a few blocks inland. The original access project was abandoned because it failed to conform to zoning defi nitions. The new lot was purchased at a cost of slightly more than $5 million last year, and carried a zoning designation more conducive to private development.
County Planner Jason Bryan, who reviewed the project for the developers, said the access did indeed meet compatibility requirements, and the developers had agreed to dedicate the white sand area as public. Prior to its approval, developers also made a $50,000 donation to Tourist Development Council for repairs to the public access at CR 83. Bryan also reported the lot will carry restrictive covenants prohibiting loud noises, vendors and afterhours operation.
Redfish Attorney George Ralph Miller, who owns a home a few blocks east of the approved access, said the agreements qualify for a designation of ?civic use,? and therefore meet compatibility requirements.
?You can ?if? and ?but? this project to death,? Miller said. ?But we?re taking a step in the right direction. Those covenants will be in place for 20 years or more.?
When the access is constructed, it will feature two cabana bathrooms, a walkover, a locking fence and half-moon driveway. Developers have proposed that it be serviced by a twice-hourly trolley to discourage the use of personal vehicles. Planning Department Director Pat Blackshear also recommended the addition of bike racks and the construction of a bike path from the main development.
Commissioner Scott Brannon, who voted for the plan, said the resulting less crowded public beach access would be an enhancement to the neighborhood.
?We have a lot of beach access, and whether it is public or private it is still access,? Brannon said. ?More is better than less.?

Kevin Thompson

Beach Lover
Dec 23, 2006
I'll say it again BMBW read the last 20 pages. And what is "bold" about what I said in post 575? You were there what did I say that was incorrect?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Redfish Village proposed beach access lot #1 is back on the market, priced at $2,775,000. It is listed with H20 properties. mls 454619.

John R

needs to get out more
Dec 31, 2005
Conflictinator
This came down the pipe today...

Dear Florida Members,

WE NEED YOUR HELP! Video and still photo shots are needed from each chapter in order to engage the interest of all legislators that the FL Beach Access Bill is truly an important piece of legislation.

Here?s what we need you to do:

1) Identify areas where you are having or have had a beach access problem. This may relate to parking, an easement, a construction project?. anything that interferes with easy access to the beach.

2) Use the video function on your digital camera to take 10-20 sec. clips of the area from various angles. Attempt to capture the essence of the problem in you video shot, something that draws a reaction just by the image. We?ve uploaded some video at this website: http://www.surfrider.org/centralflorida/presentations/index.htm. If you don?t have a digital camera with video function, take still shots.

3) Identify signature landmarks that historically define your area of the State. Capture still shots or video of downtown, a lighthouse, a State Park Sign, etc? Something that makes your area instantly recognizable to a local legislator. We will be creating a slide show intro that will sweep across the state in order pull legislators into the concept that this is a statewide issue.

4) Lastly, gather shots of people using the beach. Sure, some surf shots, lots of grom pics would be good. More so, everyone else that uses the beach, especially shots of families and babies playing along the shoreline or walking the beach, couples holding hands as they walk the shoreline, fishermen, joggers, etc? Really try to gather some unique shots of people using the beach that people just normally wouldn?t think of.

As you capture these images please forward them to me immediately, we are under a tight deadline to create this video. You can email still images to me at edavanzo@surfrider.org. Your video clips will probably need to be burned to a CD and mailed to me. If you have any concerns on how to do that or using the video function on your camera, contact TJ Marshall at tjsurfrider@bellsouth.net who is assisting with this project. Please mail CD?s to me at: PO Box 683 Jensen Beach FL 34958.

Of course we will send all chapters a final copy of this video when it is completed so you can visit your legislators locally, show them and discuss this critically important issue.

Sincerely,

Ericka D'Avanzo

Florida Regional Manager

Surfrider Foundation

PO Box 683

Jensen Beach, FL 34957

772-225-3780

edavanzo@surfrider.org

http://www.surfrider.org/

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
Redfish Village proposed beach access lot #1 is back on the market, priced at $2,775,000. It is listed with H20 properties. mls 454619.

SJ...the Commissioners granted RFV's request for a beach access lot with the requirement that they complete the side walk, bike path, on CR-83....do you know of any activity on this requirement?

Also, has there been any sales interest in Lot #1?

The beach house on the lot was torn down quickly after the Commissioners vote, but it appears no further work has been done in creating the private gated access walkway.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I have not seen any activity of paving the remainder of the sidewalk on the west side of 83, south of 30A. I do believe that the property where the existing sidewalk is located is actually private property, so maybe there is some delay with the vacant lot owners where the sidewalk doesn't exist.

As for interest in the lot, I have not shown it, but I cannot speak for others who may have shown it. There is a new lot, located just down the street, about to commence on the construction of a new home (Gulf Front).

Yes, they ripped down the house the day following the approval from the BCC. Yesterday, there was a big construction truck on the site, doing who knows what -- maybe getting ready to start on the walkover.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The walkover has been constructed, sans the railings and gate. Plumbing is being installed for the poop houses.

BMBWalker

Beach Lover
Nov 1, 2006
The walkover has been constructed, sans the railings and gate. Plumbing is being installed for the poop houses.

I noticed the walkway to the beach. It seems to be built on the county's beach. It's length is protruding a long way from the bluffs. I'm wondering if RFV is in violation of any county codes concerning building on county property, especially on county owned public beach. It would appear there is some conflict with the codes if a private access for a commercial development is built using county owned public beach property.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
BMB,
What is unique about building on public Beaches? Many homeowners have built walkover on public property in Walton County, some have even built their buildings on public property.