• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

barefootguy

Beach Fanatic
Jul 9, 2005
Santa Rosa Beach
I'm not really sure what a redneck looks like. I lived in the Chicago area for 39 years, and when we first moved down here we lived in Crestview for a year until we could get down to south walton. That was quite the culture shock for me!! I wasn't used to how they push the sale of tobacco and beer. And the drinking and driving was quite a shocker. Don't they have laws about that down here? Cigarette in one hand beer in the other driving down the street. There is also a real shortage of teeth in Crestview. I grew up with the no shirt, no shoes no service laws, but they don't seem to have that down here either. I've seen people with no shoes, no shirt, no teeth, carrying a puppy, shopping for groceries. I guess compared to what I grew up with, I felt like I had moved to a third world country. I never knew grandma's chewed snuff! And what is stump grinding? There are signs on all the street corners for stump grinding. Is that like an all night "rave" dance party?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Stump grinding. Hmmm. I woud like to hear from a few people on this one- 30 gAy, Triple B, RO, Darlene, J-funn. Sounds like a kind of dance, though.

"Let's go see the WaCo Ramblers and do some big time stump grindin'!"

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
John R said:
me, age 11

deliv01-1.jpg

:lolabove: Deliverance!!! I just watched the re-run a couple of months ago. That little hillbilly can sure strum that banjo! :rotfl:

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
barefootguy said:
I'm not really sure what a redneck looks like. I lived in the Chicago area for 39 years, and when we first moved down here we lived in Crestview for a year until we could get down to south walton. That was quite the culture shock for me!! I wasn't used to how they push the sale of tobacco and beer. And the drinking and driving was quite a shocker. Don't they have laws about that down here? Cigarette in one hand beer in the other driving down the street. There is also a real shortage of teeth in Crestview. I grew up with the no shirt, no shoes no service laws, but they don't seem to have that down here either. I've seen people with no shoes, no shirt, no teeth, carrying a puppy, shopping for groceries. I guess compared to what I grew up with, I felt like I had moved to a third world country. I never knew grandma's chewed snuff! And what is stump grinding? There are signs on all the street corners for stump grinding. Is that like an all night "rave" dance party?
Here is something about stump grinders.

Use of Stump Grinders

Large stump grinders that are pulled behind trucks are used by many professionals for stump removal. Those machines can grind a stump quickly and efficiently and are generally safe if used correctly and carefully.

Several models of small, less expensive walk-behind stump grinders are aimed at homeowners, rental use and smaller professional operations. Most are reasonably safe if used carefully, but a few are not safe no matter how they are used.

Types of Small Stump Grinders
Most small walk-behind stump grinders have an elongated frame with wheels and an engine near the center, a handle for the operator at one end and a cutting wheel at the other end. The cutting wheel can be mounted in a horizontal or vertical orientation, but vertical is more common. The cutting wheel is usually belt-driven from the engine. A typical cutting wheel is comprised of a heavy wheel with replaceable tungsten carbide teeth that do the actual work. The cutting wheel does not saw the stump; it grinds the stump. A sharp cutting wheel will reduce a stump to chips.

How a Stump Grinder Is Used
Most stump grinders are designed to be operated in a back-and-forth mode. Moving the handle left to right moves the cutting wheel right to left. As you move the handle back and forth, the cutting wheel will move back and forth across the stump, gradually grinding it down. After each pass across the stump, you either lower the cutting wheel (by raising the handle) or move the whole machine forward an inch or so. Some machines have a brake on one wheel so the machine can more easily be pivoted about that wheel.
Attached Images

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
One thing I never could get straight....what is the difference between a redneck and a hoosier? :dunno:

pmd8

Beach Lover
Jul 27, 2005
When I was growing up in Panama City, Redneck Riviera referred to the visitors, who were primarily from Alabama and Georgia, and the honky-tonk atmosphere of Panama City Beach with its plethora of t-shirt shacks and all you can eat buffets.

We made fun of both, but didn't appreciate it when "outsiders" did the same. Or opined about the need for class.

The Great Northwest just makes me ill.

Hollibird

Beach Lover
Barefoot guy - thats exactly what I'm talking about. In my hometown you wouldn't DARE go to the store with anything other that a polo shirt, expensive shoes, jewerly, and your hair done... I guess I should be happy that I can relax a bit!

a funny southern saying I've heard that make me giggle:

'fixin' to do something. I dont know why but when I hear that, I imagine Hee Haw music.

Lady D

SoWal Insider
Jun 21, 2005
Memphis, Tennessee, United States
luvthebeach said:
One thing I never could get straight....what is the difference between a redneck and a hoosier? :dunno:

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hoosier

Definition of a redneck actually has two definitions
1.Used as a disparaging term for a member of the white rural laboring class, especially in the southern United States.
2.A white person regarded as having a provincial, conservative, often bigoted attitude.

Info about the term Hoosier:
Word History: The first recorded instance of Hoosier meaning ?Indiana resident? is dated 1826; however, it seems possible that senses of the word recorded later in the Dictionary of Americanisms, including ?a big, burly, uncouth specimen or individual; a frontiersman, countryman, rustic,? reflect the kind of use this word had before it settled down in Indiana. As a nickname, Hoosier was but one of a variety of disparaging terms for the inhabitants of particular states arising in the early 19th century.

This last point is interesting!
Texans were called Beetheads, for example; Alabamans were Lizards; Nebraskans were Bug-eaters; South Carolinians were Weasels, and Pennsylvanians were Leatherheads. People in Missouri might have had it worst of all, they were called Pukes. Originally, these names were probably taken up by people living in neighboring states, but belittled residents adopted them in a spirit of defiant pride, much as American colonists turned the derisive term Yankee into a moniker for their spirit of rebellion.

ktmeadows

Beach Fanatic
Jun 21, 2005
ladydebubba60 said:
http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/hoosier

This last point is interesting!
Texans were called Beetheads, for example; Alabamans were Lizards; Nebraskans were Bug-eaters; South Carolinians were Weasels, and Pennsylvanians were Leatherheads. People in Missouri might have had it worst of all, they were called Pukes. Originally, these names were probably taken up by people living in neighboring states, but belittled residents adopted them in a spirit of defiant pride, much as American colonists turned the derisive term Yankee into a moniker for their spirit of rebellion.

I've lived in Missouri all my life and have never heard of Missourians being called Pukes! :shock: