• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
grapevine, tx. /On the road to SoWal
destindreamin said:
A few years ago, I did a cookbook for the family for Christmas. In it I included a couple of good old southern dressing recipes. This has been a big debate in our family for years--some like "wet" and some like "dry". Personally, I prefer the dry with lots of gravy. Will send recipes to you...lemme go get them. ;-)

Ok..kinda long, but here they are.

1. Aunt Barbara's Big Batch of Dressing Just as she wrote it out..

2 or 3 iron skillets size cornbread-crumbled
(she uses 2 pkgs. cornbread mix per 1 skillet)
2 or 3 slices stale white bread-cubed
2 bunches celery chopped pretty small
2-3 onions chopped pretty small
poultry seasoning
sage
salt
black pepper
broth

saute onion & celery in margarine until soft. add to crumbled cornbread and white bread. Add broth from turkey and enough canned broth to make cornbread mixture on soupy side. All poultry seasoning and not too much sage, salt and pepper to taste. (We like quite a bit of black pepper). Van, Jan and Craig keep tasting until we think seasoning is right. You can always add more, but can't take it out, so start out conservatively.

Put into one or two oblong baking pans & bake at 350 for approximately 1 hour until it starts browning on top. You can divide & put less broth in one part of the mixture and make one pan for those who like their dressing on the drier side.

2. Mom's Cornbread

1 cup flour
1 cup yellow corn meal
1 tsp. salt
2 tsp. baking powder
1/2 tsp. soda
1 tsp. sugar
1 egg
1/4 corn oil
1 1/2 c. buttermilk

Mix dry ingredients. Add egg and buttermilk, then oil. Meanwhile, have 2 tablespoons oil heating in an iron skillet in hot (475 degree) oven. When skillet is HOT, pout batter into skillet and bake about 15-20 min.

3. Cliff's Cornbread Dressing Louisiana style

1 recipe Mom's Cornbread
Giblets from turkey
1/2 lb. ground meat
4 stems celery
1/2 large onion
2 cloves garlic
2 Tbsp. celery leaves, chopped
1 tsp. Tony's seasoning
3/4 tsp. salt
2 tsp. poultry seasoning
1/2 tsp. sage
1/2 tsp. thyme
1/2 tsp. cayenne pepper
3/4 tsp. black pepper

Boil giblets until tender. Chop. If desired, also cook neck and remove meat. chop. Save broth. Saute onion, celery and garlic lightly. Add ground meat and brown. Drain. Crumble cornbread coursely into a large bowl. Add meat mixture and seasonings..Pour one cup of broth into mixture and mix well. Taste and adjust seasonings. Add more broth and stir until large clumps break up. Consistency should be slightly mushy but with some lumps of cornbread left. There should be enough moisture to hold mixture together. Stuff bird or put in 13x9 pan and bake at 400 degrees for 45 to 60 minutes watching edges to avoid burning..

So there you go..hope these help. I usually make the first version, since I'm not much on meat and certainly not giblets and necks!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
jdarg said:
No. Just fat!
I say if you love something that much, it doesn't hurt to indulge every now and then..and by the way, I'll take full responsibility since I started the whole thing with that avatar..

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
destindreamin said:
I say if you love something that much, it doesn't hurt to indulge every now and then..and by the way, I'll take full responsibility since I started the whole thing with that avatar..

yeah, I'll tatoo your name on my pumpkin pie a$$!!! :D

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
and PS- I think I will be using one of your dressing recipes! YUM!

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
jdarg said:
yeah, I'll tatoo your name on my pumpkin pie a$$!!! :D

:funn: :rotfl: :lolabove: :rotfl: :funn:

hope you enjoy the dressing!

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
destindreamin said:
:funn: :rotfl: :lolabove: :rotfl: :funn:

hope you enjoy the dressing!

The dressing will be on the other cheek. I will be easy to spot at the beach.

DD

SoWal Expert
Aug 29, 2005
Johnrudy: Just two more posts for you and four for me, and we'll become Beach Nuts! :lol:

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
destindreamin said:
Johnrudy: Just two more posts for you and four for me, and we'll become Beach Nuts! :lol:

Dang- I'm gonna miss y'all turning into nuts!

Hitting the rack-- night y'all!

Johnrudy said:
These recipes sound absolutely fabulous! I'm saving them for future use in our house. The beef tenderloin will be a real winner (as we usually cook a lot of pork tenderloin.) And I can't wait to try the arugula, pecan and cranberry salad. I can find arugula in an ethnic produce store but it is expensive, but worth it. Also, I have a couple of Ina Garten's recipe books. She's the best on the cooking channel, I think.
Thanks for all the great recipes!
You're welcome!

CastlesOfSand said:
BR Can you post that chili recipe you were talking about in another thread... Paul Prudhomme's Mandeville Mardi Gras Chili? I would appreciate it. I tried to find it on his web site but he doesn't have it listed at this time. Thanks in advance!!! These other recipes you have posted sound wonderful... I always like to try new recipes for the holiday! Thanks for posting them!
Here it is.