Regional Recipes for Holidays

Discussion in 'Dining and Food' started by DBOldford, Nov 6, 2005.

1. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

I have loved your recipes...I will pass them on to HMM. He loves to cook and I love to eat...match made in Heaven (don't worry, I do the dishes!) Paula...I LOVE that canned stuff too! It has something to do with how it feels on your tongue and the tartness! We do both kinds as well.

2. DD

DD SoWal Expert

The recipe sounds delish! Will give it a try(might add jalapeno-lol). The market kind with horseradish sounds good too-I love me some horseradish! What brand is it?

OK...now I'm starving too! ;-)

3. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Cranberry Horseradish Sauce is made by Stonewall Kitchen and is found in many specialty markets. You could probably get it on the Internet, too. We took this stuff in a goodies basket to friends for Thanksgiving dinner last year. They were just being nice to serve it with the dinner, as she already had a lovely homemade sauce made. Well, the cranberry horseradish was a hit with everyone there. My husband wiped out our jar at home with his post-holiday turkey sandwiches.

4. DD

DD SoWal Expert

I'll look for it--sounds wonderful! :D

5. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Found it online, but I think Market Street here might have it.

Your husband might like this:

Jezzabel Sauce:

18 oz. jar apple jelly
    18 oz. jar pineapple preserves
    12 oz. jar orange marmalade
    5 oz. jar horseradish
    3 tablespoons dry mustard
    1 tablespoon black pepper

Makes TONS! Serve with cream cheese and crackers.
    :D

6. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Yep, you've got his number. We'll give it a whirl over the holidays. Looks like it would also be tasty as a glaze for pork loin.

For some reason, this thread made me think about the hors d'ouvre that my former business partner's wife brought to our office holiday party one year. She hated the parties almost as much as she hated to cook (or hated him, for that matter). She actually brought a plastic plate, a tinfoil-wrapped half-frozen brick of cream cheese, a bottle of cocktail sauce, and a box of Triscuits. Opened the bottom half (only) of the tinfoil, poured the sauce over the top of the cream cheese brick, and emptied the Triscuits out on the table next to the plate. Right in front of everyone. Eat your heart out, Rachel Ray!

7. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

I can't beleive anyone has ever heard of this recipe! I haven't had this in about 25 years, but it is sooooo good! The ingredients sound yucky, but it's a great dip!! If I remember correctly, don't you pour these mixed ingredients over the block of cream cheese? (Thanks, because I'd lost my recipe.)

8. DD

DD SoWal Expert

Yes, it is wonderful with pork loin--or just about anything else.

Johnrudy: Just goes to show you never know what you'll find on this board! Yes, serve over cream cheese. Enjoy! :D

9. lindatat

lindatat quirty

You know ladies, these recipes sound wonderful but with two little ones I never have time to cook anything fancy. I'm just gonna have to be content to drink Grand Marnier while I eat the cranberry sauce right out of the can!

10. Beach Runner

Beach Runner beats on hood

Near the ATL and in SoWal as often as possible
    LOLOL. You're totally right. I'm going on strike, ordering pizza from Bruno's, and getting some a$$time watching DVD's instead of cooking a gourmet Thanksgiving dinner. Pass the Courvoisier, Busta.

11. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Here's to you both! Invite "The Ladie's Man" from SNL and sell the video!!!!

12. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

EASY BITES: Dab cream cheese on a Wheat Thin, then top with another dab of peper jelly. Keep it comin'!

13. Beach Runner

My daughter and I have a recipe for an easy appetizer.

Ingredients:
    1 can Easy Cheese
    1 finger per guest

Directions:
    Ask each guest to hold out a finger. Squirt a line of Easy Cheese on it. To serve, just have each guest lick the finger of his/her choice.

Serves: Dunno how many - as many people as there are lines of cheese in the can.

(In case you haven't figured it out, this is a joke - we just made it up when we were being silly one day).

14. Rudyjohn

Rudyjohn SoWal Insider

A lot of teenagers LOVE that recipe, and the can of choc. frosting!

15. Beach Runner

That, too. And let's not forget the legendary peanut butter appetizer. However, the Easy Cheese appetizer is superior because the product in the container isn't contaminated when applied to the finger. :D

16. peapod1980

peapod1980 percy

I meant to ask--are Royal Reds seasonal? For some reason, I had the idea that they are...? A couple of years ago, when we were in SoWal, we tried to get some and couldn't, and we had been told to go to a certain seafood market for them, which now escapes me. When can I get them, and where should I buy them?

17. aquaticbiology

aquaticbiology fishlips

proper holiday goodies I remember the recipe for cause they are so simple

broken pieces of dark and milk chocolate served on a platter with hot caramel and chocolate dipping sauce in the middle

thick peppercorn crust on prime rib with mint sauce - roll prime rib in crushed black peppercorns and put in oven, put mint sauce straight from from bottle in small dish for dipping, serve together

hot cross yeast rolls - buy the uncooked yeast rolls at walmart, cut the tops in a deep x, cook and when they come out of the oven pour melted butter over them and sprinkle on a tiny bit of busted up rock candy

more later...

18. Paige

Paige Beach Lover

Yep, we have jezabel sauce four or five times a year.. Great with pork tenderloin or poured over cream cheese. We made it for my inlaws from NYC and they loved it.

19. DBOldford

DBOldford Beach Fanatic

Thanks to all for suggestions and recipes. We are definitely making the crock pot tortilla soup on Christmas Eve. With a salad and some little empanadas, it will be easy and delicious. My husband is begging for flan, too. We always have hot chocolate with peppermint stick stirrers while opening one gift on the Eve.

Christmas dinner will be wild mushroom soup, roast pork stuffed with dried apricots and prunes, Swiss chard, that sweet potato casserole with marshmallows on top (of course), the arugula salad with pecans and pears, and red velvet cake with strawberries. Translates into a lot of gym trips between now and then.

20. Jdarg

Jdarg SoWal Expert

What time is dinner again?