• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Leaving it is not in anyone's best interest including mine who respects Southern Heritage as well as understands the nature of racism, bigotry and lack of sensitivity in most all human beings no matter where you are from. It should be moved but not erased from history. It should be a reminder of how far we all have come in awareness of our own personal flaws and the history of our Country.

What we have is three groups of people. The remove and destroy it group: This group is really just trying to remove their own flaws and place all blame on the Southern Heritage group. The keep it group: This group refuses to acknowledge their own flaws and places all blame on anyone who has no idea what Southern Heritage really means to them. The move it group: This group is trying to understand the importance of the history our nation which includes both bad and good without placing judgement. Anyone who believes they are in a position to judge another human being about anything before judging themselves is not being honest much less humans living in a different era. We are all human. We are all flawed. Accept this and maybe we can stop judging everyone else. Sherman's march through the South was full of racism, bigotry, sexism, rape, murder and all the things that some people think only existed in the South. Human nature. Not perfect. Requires work...

ShallowsNole

Beach Fanatic
Jun 22, 2005
Pt Washington
Keep the Monument, as it IS part of our history, a gift from the Daughters of the Confederacy, and has moved with the Courthouse until the Courthouse finally settled in DeFuniak. I personally do not have any of my ancestors named but many of my friends and extended family do. But (and this will be met with opposition) take the flag down. It was added in 1964 and is not part of the original setup. It is also the part that tends to stir emotion, much more than the monument. It's also my understanding that the monument would not hold up with another move.
What we erase, we fail to remember...and if we fail to remember, we are likely to repeat.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
Keep the Monument, as it IS part of our history, a gift from the Daughters of the Confederacy, and has moved with the Courthouse until the Courthouse finally settled in DeFuniak. I personally do not have any of my ancestors named but many of my friends and extended family do. But (and this will be met with opposition) take the flag down. It was added in 1964 and is not part of the original setup. It is also the part that tends to stir emotion, much more than the monument. It's also my understanding that the monument would not hold up with another move.
What we erase, we fail to remember...and if we fail to remember, we are likely to repeat.
I respect everything you say about the monument. I also believe the flag is a part of our history. Neither should be destroyed and erased. However there is a time and a place for everything. Time has changed all of us because we learn. I have learned that African Americans and Native Americans have had a lot more to overcome than the rest of us. I think I know how hard life can be but now I realize it can be a lot harder. African Americans and Native Americans have a history full of struggles that I can not imagine. All we have to do is listen and learn.

If we live life only to listen to our own voice then we are missing something about this miracle we call life. Trust me I know it is hard to listen to someone other than my own voice :). I know how hard my life has been and I know that people don't really care about any of that but if I ignore or don't care about the struggles of other people then that is on me. If you read my thoughts in this forum I think you will find that I have an ability to learn and change my strong opinions about many things. The more I live and learn the more I realize how important change is. We exist at a time when there is a movement to stop change. I get that change is hard. I get that change comes with fear. This movement is manipulating our fear for a dangerous purpose: Power. We The People are being reduced to negative emotions which are much easier to control. I hope that We The People will learn how to manage change into something that is more reasonable. It is true that if you give an inch human nature will take a mile so we have to manage that as well. I sometimes feel that I don't fit in well with either side of change because we are being told to take a side. All I can figure out about any of that is moderate behavior as it relates to change or anything else makes the most sense. Move the monument and flags in order to respect, protect and learn from our history...

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Leaving a confederate flag and monument at the courthouse meant to serve the public says much more about the who we are as a community NOW than anything else about our history or heritage. We are better than that. And we are certainly better than the Daughters of the Confederacy and their intentions to revive and rewrite confederate history and stories.

mputnal

Beach Fanatic
Nov 10, 2009
I believe the United Daughters of the Confederacy probably understood their intentions better than we do. If any of us are going to judge their intentions then lets also judge Sherman, Lincoln, Grant and many others on the "right" side of moral behavior. Maybe we should Judge ourselves just a little too. I am far from perfect so Judge me on what I am about to say about the Civil War. Slavery existed in the North and South. Racism existed in the North and South. The Southern States were growing in economic and political power because of the economics of slavery. Most everyone believed that the white race was superior even Abraham Lincoln. Every war has to have a cause. The North stated the cause to be slavery. The South stated the cause to be State's rights. I believe it was a war between the States. We can debate this forever but the bottom line is many young men lost their lives and never owned a slave...

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Leaving a confederate flag and monument at the courthouse meant to serve the public says much more about the who we are as a community NOW than anything else about our history or heritage. We are better than that. And we are certainly better than the Daughters of the Confederacy and their intentions to revive and rewrite confederate history and stories.

My sister won a scholarship from them. She took her black boyfriend to the awards ceremony. If they would have stood up they would have taken their charis with them.