• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
The problem is that the distance from the east of 30A to the 395 outlet to 98 to the nearest outlet to the east of 30A to 98 at Camp Creek is much greater than from the west of 30A. To the west of 30A you can cut through Watercolor to get to 395 or take 283 or 83 directly to 98.

Attachments

• 395.jpg
    395.jpg
    46.9 KB · Views: 426
Last edited:

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
There are really only a small handful of days each year when it becomes seriously congested there. Just because there's a line, doesn't mean it isn't moving. I'd be interested in hearing from a real traffic engineer, rather than all of us armchair quarterbacks.

ameliaj

Beach Fanatic
Jun 19, 2007
SoSpal (figure it out)/Seacrest
I know that intersection is tough, but TFrog you are right it does move at a slow steady pace. The thing that scares the stuffing out of me is the spot where the bike/mixed use path crosses 30A in seagrove. Folks think nothing of just strolling across the road and tourists/newbies in cars who don't quite understand all the multiple signs just keep moving. I can't believe someone hasn't been squished right there.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
I know that intersection is tough, but TFrog you are right it does move at a slow steady pace. The thing that scares the stuffing out of me is the spot where the bike/mixed use path crosses 30A in seagrove. Folks think nothing of just strolling across the road and tourists/newbies in cars who don't quite understand all the multiple signs just keep moving. I can't believe someone hasn't been squished right there.

Both of you are correct. The intersection does work about as well as it can. I'm sure a stop light would be the worst possible thing to do. About the bike path crossing, since the Bravo is built with parking in the back, it would make a lot of sense to move the crossing further east (east of the Bravo) and design it better where it's less confusing for the bicyclers. I vote for the crosswalk to be pavers rather than the obnoxious paint-job and reflectors thing we got now. I'm not a traffic engineer... I just play one on SoWal.:blink:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
The roundabout at Scenic 30A and 395 is on the agenda for the next Walton BCC meeting on Thursday (moved from Tuesday due to Isaac). The proposed project extends 230 feet to the west, 230 feet to the north and 1,000 feet to the east. Apparently the vacant lot on the northeast corner will provide room for a great deal of the project.

Engineering is set to begin next month with construction in the spring.

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/6474

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
The roundabout at Scenic 30A and 395 is on the agenda for the next Walton BCC meeting on Thursday (moved from Tuesday due to Isaac). The proposed project extends 230 feet to the west, 230 feet to the north and 1,000 feet to the east. Apparently the vacant lot on the northeast corner will provide room for a great deal of the project.

Engineering is set to begin next month with construction in the spring.

http://www.co.walton.fl.us/DocumentCenter/View/6474

Interesting. I always thought the intersection was too small for a roundabout, but I didn't know they had that much land available.
In general I am a fan of roundabouts, but I can't recall seeing one with a bike path incorporated into it. Sounds like an engineering challenge, and an educational challenge for drivers unfamiliar with them. So many drivers around here can't seem to grasp the function of a three-way stop.
I agree the bike path makes more sense on the south side, but then you have to get them back across to the north side west of the intersection.
Looking forward to seeing the actual plans.

Okay, so I used Google Earth and measured 230 feet to the west and 1000 feet to the east. I'm not understanding how the roundabout that big is gonna work without tearing down a bunch of houses and the V. Maybe I am just having a brain freeze.

Attachments

• roundabout.jpg
    roundabout.jpg
    160.4 KB · Views: 381
Last edited:

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
I take it to mean that the roundabout itself will be built mostly on the lot on the northeast corner, which looks big enough in the aerial, although we can't tell what the lot dimensions are. I take the "proposed project will extend etc.' to mean the approach and the bike path will be re-engineered for that distance. The county has more right of way along 30A than you would think - adjacent properties have encroached on it with landscaping - this is evident in the aerial. They won't be happy, probably.