• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
This official.

FEMA assessing rain-related damage in Walton

http://www.nwfdailynews.com/local/fema-assessing-rain-related-damage-in-walton-1.193278

Federal emergency management officials arrived in Walton County on Monday to begin assessing damages from last month’s flooding.

The county sustained at least $11 million in damages to roads and infrastructure in July alone, and the federal government has agreed to provide funds for the repairs.

“We’ve been able to make some temporary repairs, but to get the permanent work going this is the first step,” said Russell Beaty, the county’s assistant emergency management director.

Since the major flood over the July Fourth weekend, the area has had even more flood damage.

FEMA officials made one of their first stops in Blue Mountain Beach on County Road 30A, part of which washed away when Big Redfish Lake flooded after a heavy rainstorm on Aug. 17.

It has been closed to traffic ever since.

Buddy Wright with the county’s public works office said they were aware of some problems on that part of CR 30A in early July, including the failure of some culverts that regulate the lake’s water flow.

The most visible damage did not occur until the most recent storm, though, Wright said.

If FEMA officials agree that the cause of the damage began in July, the county may be able to use some of the already approved federal funding to repair CR 30A, one of the costliest fixes, Beaty said.

Public works staff have to wait for the water from the lake to recede before they can finish assessing damage, Wright said. They do not know when the road might reopen.

Last edited by a moderator:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I think we should hold a car wash, bake sale, and silent auction to raise the money to fix it fast. The way this community supports fundraisers, I bet we can get this hole fixed before the county makes the first drawing.

We can say it's for a good causeway.

steel1man

Beach Fanatic
Jan 10, 2013
These where taken at 7:30 ish this morning Thursday 8/29/13. @ noon if they open one lane
They'll need 24/7 traffic control can't see that expense happening.

Attachments

• image-1263528043.jpg
    image-1263528043.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 469
  • image-1299127318.jpg
    image-1299127318.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 473

Will B

Jan 5, 2006
Atlanta, GA
I think they've taken that whole beach replenishment idea a step too far!

I like this part of the statement...
"Public works staff have to wait for the water from the lake to recede before they can finish assessing damage, Wright said."

Unless they go in and clear out the blockage caused by the beavers, grass, limbs, or whatever has blocked the culvert the level will never go down...

:doh:

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
Is the north side of the "hole" stable enough for traffic? I assume so, but I'm surprised. Is that why the sand was brought in -- to stabilize the non-caved-in lane?

IMO that one lane would not be safe for car travel. Not only that you would have Thirty A backed up for miles if you had directed traffic going through there.