• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
The sand was brought in for entertainment value: to keep SoWallers wondering about what's going on.

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I think a lot of that whole area might be sand. I don't know if they had to bring it in from very far. It might just be the result of some digging and they had to do something with it. I know you can find sand a mile off the gulf. Those are dune lakes after all. What would you expect to see, moon rocks?

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
I was just on the Walton County Sheriff facebook page. Let's just say this might be a good time to be in the bicycle business.

Lake View Too

SoWal Insider
Nov 16, 2008
Eastern Lake
By coincidence, I currently have a jobsite about 500 yards west of Redfish Hole and a jobsite 500 yards east of Redfish Hole. I timed my detour route this morning and it took me 14 minutes. When you subtract the backtracking I did, a motorist, taking the highway 98 detour from Grayton to Redfish Village will experience a delay of approximately 12 to 15 minutes.

We can handle this, guys!

(but the humor sure helps)

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
^^So that's a worst case scenario. If someone is out drinking, driving and bar-hopping, which he shouldn't be, I guess the worst case is Grayton to Blue Mountain since there are no establishments on the hole stretch. You have to drive about 5 additional miles on 283 and 83 combined. On 98, you have a higher speed limit than you would have on 30A. With a little careful speeding on 98, you could probably trim the delay back to about 10 minutes. In the meantime, it's business as usual for us bike riders neener, neener!

30aconcerned

Beach Lover
Oct 26, 2012
^^So that's a worst case scenario. If someone is out drinking, driving and bar-hopping, which he shouldn't be, I guess the worst case is Grayton to Blue Mountain since there are no establishments on the hole stretch. You have to drive about 5 additional miles on 283 and 83 combined. On 98, you have a higher speed limit than you would have on 30A. With a little careful speeding on 98, you could probably trim the delay back to about 10 minutes. In the meantime, it's business as usual for us bike riders neener, neener!

If someone is out "drinking, driving and bar hopping" they should end up in 30-A Hole. Guess that would be an "a-hole" in an "A Hole".

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
By coincidence, I currently have a jobsite about 500 yards west of Redfish Hole and a jobsite 500 yards east of Redfish Hole. I timed my detour route this morning and it took me 14 minutes. When you subtract the backtracking I did, a motorist, taking the highway 98 detour from Grayton to Redfish Village will experience a delay of approximately 12 to 15 minutes.

We can handle this, guys!

(but the humor sure helps)

Surprised it took that long..

Leader of the Banned

Beach Fanatic
Apr 23, 2013
If someone is out "drinking, driving and bar hopping" they should end up in 30-A Hole. Guess that would be an "a-hole" in an "A Hole".

I agree. I see the most serious impact on the late nite party crowd, and it's not a matter of IF people are out drinking, driving and bar hopping. They most certainly are.

sharkstooth

Beach Lover
May 24, 2011
I agree. I see the most serious impact on the late nite party crowd, and it's not a matter of IF people are out drinking, driving and bar hopping. They most certainly are.

So y'all must live in EWOL, road closure doesn't bother you. You are so wrong this is not about late night party people. Businesses on the west end are hurting big time! Do I need to make a list? No names but, bike shops, health food store, local retail, great local restaurants, artists, this is having a huge impact on our WeWOL economy! Drive over and support your locals!

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
So y'all must live in EWOL, road closure doesn't bother you. You are so wrong this is not about late night party people. Businesses on the west end are hurting big time! Do I need to make a list? No names but, bike shops, health food store, local retail, great local restaurants, artists, this is having a huge impact on our WeWOL economy! Drive over and support your locals!

They don't speak for everybody. I live on the east end but I go to the west end frequently to do business and shop at some of those places you mentioned, and others you didn't mention, and I can see the impact already. For me it isn't so much the time as the extra gas and having to travel on 98. I'll still keep doing it but it's apparent the casual shopper or diner probably won't. I am all for a proper bridge but there must be a way to keep the road open during a lengthy construction period. How will we ever get bridges or repairs done on the other dune lake crossings if it will be months of closure for each one?
Make the effort and go support your local businesses.