• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
I agree with Teresa's earlier post that the people involved with this project are long time residents of Seagrove and have an appreciation of this place that far exceeds what many out of town developers bring to this area.

Then what if someone was born here and so were their grandparents, they should receive a variance to open a slaughterhouse in Sandestin? I'm just drawing a parallel, there's no actual proposal for a slaughterhouse.

Jim Tucker

Beach Fanatic
Jul 12, 2005
Point is valid but no need to go crazy. The restaurant will be nice. Not sure what all the fuss is about. Hardly any small business south of 98 can do a 250 foot buffer that's crazy. Seems like 50 to 100 feet is more than most businesses have buffers now. I see in the photo there's already a bank that has very little buffer. Is it a problem? If I were a neighbor I'd be all for walking to get a burger. I heard the gated community across the street there were a few people upset. I can see some traffic congestion but nothing to get up in arms about.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
O.K. I've just been educated about what this is about. I was under the impression this was about what is going in, at the site of the old Seagrove Village Market. It's actually about the site of the new Seagrove Village Market, which I am clearly unfamiliar with. But, I still would back the Hartleys and think they will always try to do something that will be a good neighbor asset to the community.

Yes. The Hartleys have always been good neighbors and have brought excellence to our community with their restaurants - each one being a labor of love and places we appreciate having in SoWal. I don't know details but I know they will be bringing a lot of history and local character into the new restaurant. Keeping it informal and comfortable. Serving lunch and dinner.

As for the new proposed Seagrove Village Market Cafe restaurant, the community should provide feedback and let any concerns be known. All projects benefit from the community being involved. It's important.

But from what I've seen in certain Facebook groups, many are slamming it without even knowing a thing about the project. Just that it's a new development in Seagrove, without regard for the long time standing of the developers in our town. Without regard for the actual intent and details of the plan. And many posters from all over with absolutely no clue, except they want no new development, including good businesses. Lots of misinformation given.

If these groups are now all so extremely anti development then our community will never get the support it needs from local businesses to put into place best planning and development practices, whether via incorporation or better County oversight and representation. Which places our future at real risk.

Yes.. Get involved and provide constructive input into local development projects! But also encourage the right kind of development and welcome excellent businesses. And raise expectations for infrastructure, leadership and planning for a GREAT South Walton. Keeping things the same is not an option. Bashing all development is not productive. Encouraging responsible businesses to build here is good for us.

Last edited:

BeachArkie

Beach Lover
Jun 27, 2008
Seagrove
I am not anti-development, but having looked at the proposed plan I think it is completely unsuitable for that location and poorly designed. Nowhere near enough parking, a dead end parking lot that will be difficult or impossible to use for the typical semi-truck deliveries of supplies, and way too close to existing homes. Whether the owners are nice people is not an issue, they still need to follow the few planning rules we have. Making the building 2 or 3 stories instead of a strip mall would be just one way to reduce the setbacks needed and increase parking.

second wind

Beach Lover
Feb 18, 2013
We love Seagrove Market, especially their fried shrimp and key lime pie. Been a family tradition for many a year! Really good people ! Seems to me land positioned on a hwy has the potential to be developed commercially thus if you buy your home that backs up to said commercial land you run the risk of living next door to a commercial establishment. These are local folk who care about us and community. I am hopeful a compromise can be worked out. It's not like they are the Hampton Inn or a major JOE development