• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Matt J

SWGB
May 9, 2007
Is there some reason I am not aware of where a church having a congregation precludes it being used as a "chapel" by others? :dunno:

Granted, I don't spend a lot of time hanging around the churchyard, but whenever I have visitors I take them to the church as part of the general tour - and it is always empty.

I really don't understand all of these attempts to keep others from using things - beaches, churches, parking spaces, community common areas etc. Obviously abuses should be punished, but general use shouldn't. I guess I am just used to sharing public spaces and having most places be "public" spaces.

Maintenance costs?

We may be the most hated HOA on the Emerald Coast, but look at that bench, yes that one, not a new coat of paint in seven years! If we had people coming here it might last 5 or 6 years before we have to repaint. That's savings!

/sarcasm off/

NOLA TRANSPLANT

Beach Lover
Jul 24, 2007
Scooterbug said

"I really don't understand all of these attempts to keep others from using things - beaches, churches, parking spaces, community common areas etc. Obviously abuses should be punished, but general use shouldn't. I guess I am just used to sharing public spaces and having most places be "public" spaces"

Once again it seems as if Sea Side would rather just be a Gated community. Redirect Hwy 30-A to go behind Sea Side and stop traffic all together. But,!!! This would ALSO include all the revenue from the outside. The retail revenue, the food and beverage revenue, and the RENTAL revenue. Hit em directly in their tightly closed pockets, then when one restaurant after another closes and they have to leave outside of there wonderful paradise to conduct business and are told "Oh no you cant do that because you dont live here" See how they feel then.
You know I dont mean to be an ass over it but come on people. You have to co-exist with outsiders to exist at all!

Last edited:

MinnDodd

Beach Comber
May 16, 2006
Possible Congregation Options

Sunday May 3rd, 2009 was the last service at the chapel. Seaside Interfaith Chapel, Inc., the owner of the building, has requested that the current ministry including Pastor Jeff Miller, Worship Leader David Seering, and the ENTIRE CONGREGATION find another location to worship. A 2-day notice was given. The reason is that the chapel was formed to mainly serve the homeowners and guests of Seaside as a chapel not a church. Although homeowners and their guests did attend, the current ministry mainly served the entire area from Destin to Panama City Beach as a church. More than 1,000 people attended on Easter Sunday. If anyone has suggestions for a perminent or temporary location please submit them.

The Boat House and or the Bait House at WaterColor. Currently both buildings relative empty and not in use much.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
The vacant Sales Office at the now closed Nature Walk..(.soon to be the South Walton Community Center--in our dreams)--the community church could be the first tenant.:Dand everyone would be welcome.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I wonder what part of New Urbanism a private church falls under?:dunno:

tsutcli

Beach Fanatic
Jan 14, 2008
Seacrest
Services will be held at Crosspoint Church on 393 at 11. Cross point is just north of Gulfplace on the east side of the street

Last edited:

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
Scooterbug said

"I really don't understand all of these attempts to keep others from using things - beaches, churches, parking spaces, community common areas etc. Obviously abuses should be punished, but general use shouldn't. I guess I am just used to sharing public spaces and having most places be "public" spaces"

Once again it seems as if Sea Side would rather just be a Gated community. Redirect Hwy 30-A to go behind Sea Side and stop traffic all together. But,!!! This would ALSO include all the revenue from the outside. The retail revenue, the food and beverage revenue, and the RENTAL revenue. Hit em directly in their tightly closed pockets, then when one restaurant after another closes and they have to leave outside of there wonderful paradise to conduct business and are told "Oh no you cant do that because you dont live here" See how they feel then.
You know I dont mean to be an ass over it but come on people. You have to co-exist with outsiders to exist at all!

I don't know the specifics of the chapel, but I think it's important to point out that you have some homeowners who would like to limit visitors to Seaside. I'm sure they feel that when most homes are booked, the town has all the people it can handle. But I believe most of the homeowners want Seaside to be open and welcoming.

Often, unhappy and aggressive homeowners get involved and gain control of exclusive developments, especially in vacation areas because most homeowners live elsewhere and are generally satisfied as long as their units are booked.

Protesting or boycotting businesses in Seaside will not keep people from booking there. Don't make the mistake of punishing the businesses in Seaside, the Seaside Institute, Seaside events, the Cottage rental Agency, or most of the homeowners. And please keep this in mind when posting on this forum.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
I don't know the specifics of the chapel, but I think it's important to point out that you have some homeowners who would like to limit visitors to Seaside. I'm sure they feel that when most homes are booked, the town has all the people it can handle. But I believe most of the homeowners want Seaside to be open and welcoming.

Often, unhappy and aggressive homeowners get involved and gain control of exclusive developments, especially in vacation areas because most homeowners live elsewhere and are generally satisfied as long as their units are booked.

Protesting or boycotting businesses in Seaside will not keep people from booking there. Don't make the mistake of punishing the businesses in Seaside, the Seaside Institute, Seaside events, the Cottage rental Agency, or most of the homeowners. And please keep this in mind when posting on this forum.

Good points, Kurt. Do you (or anyone else) know if there is a counter effort by the businesses and the Institute and other (more reasonable) homeowners to let their positions be heard? Or, are these few people just allowed to have their way?

First the red shirts, and now kicking visitors out of church...seems dramatic for a community that was designed to be neighbor friendly and has been promoted as a "model" for New Urbanism around the entire world....:dunno:

I won't stop going to my favorite places there because of this, but from a marketing/promotional point of view, it seems counter productive to me. Or maybe they could begin a new marketing campaign:

"Come to Seaside--home of the Seaside Chapel. Worship in a totally private, gated church--No tourists, no neighbors, must show homeowner ID to enter!"

I think it is ridiculous!

Last edited:

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
In the 90's I had the opportunity to work at Seaside as a consultant (the town was full of them). I worked with Seaside staff, homeowners, Robert and Darryl Davis, and found the whole experience disheartening. Despite the good people involved, there was a sense that not all was well in paradise. Money and selfishness (also known as greed) came to town and never left. It put the desires of the few above the needs of many and the result is what we see today. Everyone imagined themselves perpetually in a Southern Living photo shoot and the pursuit of the "good life" became the gold standard. Seaside is a pretend place. A set. Why do you think they shot the Truman Show at Seaside? I respect the business owners at Seaside and I like many of the shops and restaurants, but I don't spend money there. Seaside decided years ago they wanted my money, not me (can you blame them:). It is not a protest or boycott, and indeed I am not alone. Other than riding by on 30A, I pay it no mind. It is just another ridiculous homage to "self" and a reminder the good ol' days have passed us by.

Beach Bimmer

Beach Fanatic
May 2, 2006
South Walton
Protesting or boycotting businesses in Seaside will not keep people from booking there. Don't make the mistake of punishing the businesses in Seaside, the Seaside Institute, Seaside events, the Cottage rental Agency, or most of the homeowners.

As owners of a business that has been located in Seaside for 14 years, we are humble and grateful for every local, visitor, and homeowner that has patronized our business, Fired Up Paint-Your-Own Pottery in Seaside over the years.

We have always been locally owned, not part of any chain, and in fact were one of the first hundred art studios of this type in the United States. We provide jobs to locals, pay taxes that benefit the local economy, and last year alone donated over $10,000 in goods and services to local charitable organizations, including the Seaside Neighborhood School where many of our local kids are being educated.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you and hope you'll continue to shop, dine, and play at locally-owned small businesses in Seaside and all along 30-A that depend upon each and every one of you for our existence.

We love and appreciate ya'll so much! :love: :love:

Sincerely,

Jim & Stacy Radford, owners
Fired Up Paint-Your-Own Pottery
27 Quincy Circle
Seaside, Florida 32459

firedupseaside.com