• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Protesting or boycotting businesses in Seaside will not keep people from booking there. Don't make the mistake of punishing the businesses in Seaside, the Seaside Institute, Seaside events, the Cottage rental Agency, or most of the homeowners. And please keep this in mind when posting on this forum.

Most of the Seaside business owners and many residents are as frustrated (or more so) as we are by the actions being led by a small EXTREMELY vocal group.

Boycotting Seaside businesses just hurts the people already getting hassled by and losing business because of the "****** Street Gang" as they have come to be known.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
As owners of a business that has been located in Seaside for 14 years, we are humble and grateful for every local, visitor, and homeowner that has patronized our business, Fired Up Paint-Your-Own Pottery in Seaside over the years.

We have always been locally owned, not part of any chain, and in fact were one of the first hundred art studios of this type in the United States. We provide jobs to locals, pay taxes that benefit the local economy, and last year alone donated over $10,000 in goods and services to local charitable organizations, including the Seaside Neighborhood School where many of our local kids are being educated.

From the bottom of our hearts, we thank you and hope you'll continue to shop, dine, and play at locally-owned small businesses in Seaside and all along 30-A that depend upon each and every one of you for our existence.

We love and appreciate ya'll so much! :love: :love:

Sincerely,

Jim & Stacy Radford, owners
Fired Up Paint-Your-Own Pottery
27 Quincy Circle
Seaside, Florida 32459

firedupseaside.com

Jim and Stacy and Dave, and all the others...I certainly do not plan to stop going to your wonderful shops and restaurants; Pat and Angie at the Post Office are super as well. Just too bad that certain people are behaving this way--makes things difficult for everyone!

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Welcome to Seaside:

Shop
Play
Dine
Stay

but no worshipping!

Unless they have an owner's pass key to the locked chapel....:yikes:

incredible1

Beach Lover
May 7, 2007
How many homeowners of seaside are full time residents?

UofL

Beach Fanatic
Jan 21, 2005
Louisville KY
Yes ? happened last week. We are moving to another facility near Gulf Place beginning this Sunday.

(From someone we know who goes there. Mike and I (and friends and family) are staying at Seaside one more time this summer - found reasonably priced spot. Will probably go back to Grayton next time. That's alright. We stayed at Seaside. Enjoyed it. Going back to Grayton is certainly not a hardship:) Anything along 30A. Counting down. Ellen

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
In the 90's I had the opportunity to work at Seaside as a consultant (the town was full of them). I worked with Seaside staff, homeowners, Robert and Darryl Davis, and found the whole experience disheartening. Despite the good people involved, there was a sense that not all was well in paradise. Money and selfishness (also known as greed) came to town and never left. It put the desires of the few above the needs of many and the result is what we see today. Everyone imagined themselves perpetually in a Southern Living photo shoot and the pursuit of the "good life" became the gold standard. Seaside is a pretend place. A set. Why do you think they shot the Truman Show at Seaside? I respect the business owners at Seaside and I like many of the shops and restaurants, but I don't spend money there. Seaside decided years ago they wanted my money, not me (can you blame them:). It is not a protest or boycott, and indeed I am not alone. Other than riding by on 30A, I pay it no mind. It is just another ridiculous homage to "self" and a reminder the good ol' days have passed us by.

I respect your position. No place is perfect. Each has its faults. Those who don't see any good in a place are just as bad as those who seek to be exclusionary IMO.

The Truman show was shot in Seaside because it looks idyllic, a set if you wish, but it is not a set. I can understand if Seaside is not your kind of place. I have seen some things happen in Seaside that make the movie ironic, rather than representative, involving real life and real people.

Wouldn't it be fun to write and direct a bizarre independent film in Seaside, or a documentary titled "The True Man Show"? :lol:

It's a shame you couldn't experience a magic night a couple of weeks ago on the real bricks underneath the real oaks, with real people, real music, a real moon, and a real sweetness in the air.

090420-seaside-001.jpg

conched out

Beach Lover
Jun 15, 2008
I'ts difficult not to judge, criticize and condemn a church with a growing ministry shutting
it's doors. Shame on "The Board of Seasiderism Related to The Chapel" for not issuing some
type of public statement in an effort to prevent the tidal wive of emotions that have occurred.
A little communication goes a long way in maintaining relationships and diluting negativity
that might or might not be misdirected.
:dunno:

Desso

Beach Lover
Feb 8, 2008
Seaside, at one point, was my kind of place. When the roads were sand, the water tower still stood, and the pavilions were open to all. I had the Seaside t-shirts, volunteered for the wine festivals, and even played a couple of matches of croquet with the world champion when the tournament was held in Seaside. In fact, when I had to work in Atlanta for a summer I would drive down Friday night, stay Saturday, and head back Sunday afternoon. A friend use to say "there comes Mr. *#@$in Seaside".We would hang out in Grayton at the old petting zoo and drink beer with the chickens, Hamus Alabamus (the pig) and then head down to Seaside and enjoy the peace and quiet. I knew eventually when Seaside opened its window to the world we would lose the magic you claim still exist. Old tricks aren't the same as magic. Believe me, I have had more sun and fun on this stretch of coast than a person deserves. And by the way, a couple of weeks ago I was in Greece ( Tinos, on the coast), and let me tell you those people have got it right.

Miss Critter

Beach Fanatic
Mar 8, 2008
My perfect beach
Seaside, at one point, was my kind of place. When the roads were sand, the water tower still stood, and the pavilions were open to all. I had the Seaside t-shirts, volunteered for the wine festivals, and even played a couple of matches of croquet with the world champion when the tournament was held in Seaside. In fact, when I had to work in Atlanta for a summer I would drive down Friday night, stay Saturday, and head back Sunday afternoon. A friend use to say "there comes Mr. *#@$in Seaside".We would hang out in Grayton at the old petting zoo and drink beer with the chickens, Hamus Alabamus (the pig) and then head down to Seaside and enjoy the peace and quiet. I knew eventually when Seaside opened its window to the world we would lose the magic you claim still exist. Old tricks aren't the same as magic. Believe me, I have had more sun and fun on this stretch of coast than a person deserves. And by the way, a couple of weeks ago I was in Greece ( Tinos, on the coast), and let me tell you those people have got it right.

I'm so envious. Greece seems like the most magical, romantic place in the world to me, followed very closely by Italy. Both are on my short list of places to see in this lifetime.