• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Heck, I don't live in Seaside and I spotted merchants wearing t-shirst promoting the event prior, posters hung around town and Destin, PCB, FWB, local newspaper print and heard from friends they saw out of town newspaper ads. Was in NOLA for some kickbutt music and spotted the Seaside Jazz ad in their program.

Photos and recordings are hard to deal with, since many musicians have contract requriements banning them. Yes, Y-Tube and Myspace are great but not everyone is hip to that type of promoting.

Website has been up and running promoting and informing on this event. Come on man, get off the negitive bus!!!

I would not want a job like this, trying to start something fresh and please everyone. Kudos to the person or persons trying to pull this off and create a wonderful music event.

thanks for the scoop Vol1. you are right - I did see lots of info throughout seaside (I picked up several postcards) over the last several weeks because I was shopping and hanging out in seaside quite a bit. and I saw some news ads as well. I posted it right here on sowal, and it was announced on this thread as well. who knows what the real deal is going on here. I know several couples who had tickets for the weekend but ended up not going Fri night because of other things going on, and the weather was a little iffy for a while. we will come out next weekend and support the event!

you know, if its anything like an exclusive event such as the wine fests, I always consider this event to be for tourists, so I never even think of going. no thanks on the all day wine drinking crowd of vacationers. but this kind of event should be way cooler than the wine festival.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
The only reason I am being so darn critical is that I would really like to see this event be a success. It has so much potential. I want to not be able to see a speck of grass because of all of the feet standing on the lawn. I want to be able to hear the crowd cheer during and after every song. I want the bands to feel appreciated. I want to see my friends' stores in Seaside, be filled with shoppers. I see all kinds of potential with such a festival and I am scared that they will simply look at the audience, or lack of, and blame it on no one wanting to support a Jazz Festival. So, call me a glass half-empty person, if you must, but as the really old-timers say, a filled vessel cannot hold more water.

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
Joe

As the truckers say "10-4er", on all your comments! The event is here (good, bad) and will go on, so let's all try and support the event, musicians & businesses. It hard to move forward while looking in the rearview window.

Keep in mind, we do not know all of the details of this event (i.e. time-frame, promoting, do's & don'ts, WC event rules, musicians requests, etc...) as well as the inner workings of C-Side's and how they want things done.

BTW, Shamarr Allen was just awesome. Such energy, talent and humble for a young man doing what he loves. And when he joined Nestor Torres on stage for a number, WOW....Would love to see that on an album of there's.

The lower ticket price does help, so let's get ready to dance and get soaked in JAZZ. If you love jazzy blues style guitar, then don't miss little Freddy King...Man, saw this cat in NOLA and he rocked the house.

PS does anyone know if there was any promoting assistance from the seabreeze 106 channel??

Thanks for the vine!

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
After yesterday's discussion I specifically looked for a promotional sign, anything that would tell me what is going on. Nothing, not even the old sign by the post office.

You can drive from Seagrove to Grayton and the only inkling you have of a possible event is a sea of white tents and the Heineken banners planted in the ground inside the amphiteatre.

IMO, a couple banners or signs would help get some rears in the gate!

On a positive note, kudos on the quick clean up of the small road signs for the shuttle parking lot along 30-A! :clap:

BTW, Shamarr Allen was just awesome. Such energy, talent and humble for a young man doing what he loves. And when he joined Nestor Torres on stage for a number, WOW....Would love to see that on an album of there's.

Absolutely agree - he was amazing and a real treat. We had to miss Nestor Torres until the last song but fortunately heard Shamarr - My husband and I were floored. He's just got that spark.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Someone is listening, because this morning, they moved a banner to the tents facing 30A and one facing Cafe Rendezvous.

No one reading this who will be in town on Friday has any excuse for not showing up. The band is a great band, the show is free admission (Fri only). Let's get out there and have some funn! Get there early and try out some food in Seaside from Raw and Juicy, Amavida, Cafe Rendezvous, Taco Bar, Bud and Alley's, Great Southern, Rolly Polly, Pickles, Modica Market, the ice-cream or yogart shops, or the snow-cone shack. (hope I covered everyone.)

By the way, there is a new art gallery open beside Modica Market. Go check it out. I met the owners the other day, and they are super-nice people.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
SJ, although Friday night is free..do you know if there will be an opportunity to make a donation to support the Katrina musicians?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
from what I am hearing, the "support the Katrina musicians" really means that Seaside is paying the musicians to perform, so apparently this isn't a "fund-raiser," but the ticket sales pay for the bands, which does in turn, support some Jazz musicians of NOLA.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
okay. thanks. :dunno:

BoomerSooner

Beach Crab
May 18, 2008
Any feel for how accurate the weather report is looking? So far alot of clouds and rain. Hope for clear skies & sun!