• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Doesn't anyone understand that these artist aren't here for FREE! or because they just love Seaside!!!! In order to host event like this someone has to pay (providing jobs) for these awesome people/friends and wonderful musicians. Until events like this takeoff and recieve major spon $$, then they could be a FREE event. Just my 2 cents....I think many of the Seaside folks and surrounding towns "peeps" are a bit spoiled since ALL of the past music events in the Amptheather are FREE. These musicians are not your local weekend 250.00 bands...

The parking signs along 30-A, you can thank Cindy M. and the Cnty Comm. for them.

Oh well, "can't please everyone all of the time".

Please keep in mind this event is being done in the middle of the "tightest" towns. You have to get a permit to fart or post a sign that you're going to fart.

Remember, Mercants want people there, but homeowners and board don't!

Just come to support the musician and the merchants. This weekend will be a blast.

Yes, I think most take it as a given that the musicians are paid and are not complaining that there was a charge to enter...I know that I am accustomed to paying to hear good music. And we are more than thankful that the musicians were supported by being hired to play this festival.

There is, however, a difference between 1. supporting jazz musicians who were affected by Katrina by hiring them, and
2. having the "proceeds" from an event go back to a non-profit organization that supports musicians affected by Katrina. I wanted clarification.

And referring to your local weekend 250.00 bands" statement. Many bands/musicians who live locally travel as these recent jazz musicians did here, to other festivals all over the country to support themselves.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
#1volunteer, You need to understand that there are various ways to raise money to have the event, other than charging high admission. They could have offered vending to the Seaside Merchants, inside the venue, with a portion of their proceeds going to the event. (All of the Seaside Merchants charge 1% entertainment tax throughout the year to pay for these special events. ) If there was coordination, well in advance, Seaside Merchants could have had donation boxes in every store, promoting the event and soliciting voluntary donations for the musicians. They could have had a couple of months promotion. When something is new, you have to start small and grow it. The way to do that is to first, create the demand. As the demand grows, you can increase prices over time, and eventually have a high ticket price as demand dictates. You don't start with high ticket prices, with people not knowing why they are paying the high amounts. People are used to most music events in Seaside being complimentary, paid for by the customers of people buying from Seaside Merchants. Promotion, promotion, promotion. Get the Seaside Store employees to talk up the event, have raffles for tickets (if you are going to have tickets), get Seaside vendors in the event, have Seaside Stores as sponsors, put up banners during the event (we get new people in town every week, so signs seen two months ago by tourists, are pointless to the people here during the event.), in addition to prior to the event. Set up a website that has the up-to-date information on the artists and the event. Ask attendees to take plenty of photos, and post them online so that others can see what they were missing. It is great to have 2000 people helping to promote the event.

There are plenty of ways to raise the money, and have the place packed, and it really has nothing to do with charging admission. There is a very popular band which decided to not charge for their albums. You can go to their website and download their albums at no cost. The record labels hate this, because the record company is losing money. You may think that the band is crazy to do this, but they are getting plenty of free press, many people are listening to their money, and the band reports that on average, they make $7 per album from donations. Their format is purely donation-based. They ask that people who download their albums, to pay a price which they think is fair. The band actually makes more money doing this than if they had a record label.

Get that professional MC on stage and talk up the reason why people should donate. If the attendance was open gate, like most SS events, they would have plenty of people involved, talking up the event and donating money. I think the REP Theatre made more money with a few locals running for Prom King and Queen.

30ABandMan

Beach Fanatic
Apr 1, 2007
SGB
I know that if I had been goofy enough to purchase those tickets and then they open the gates just to get people in, I would be pretty upset.

rapunzel

Beach Fanatic
Nov 30, 2005
Point Washington
How's this for a crazy idea -- set up VIP tables. This year, with the festival in it's infancy, sell tickets to the VIP set ups, and keep the lawn open. The VIP seats could allow people to come an go, have a comfortable place to sit right up close to the stage, and maybe a bar and bathroom just for them. It also allows people to drift in and out of the event to enjoy the beach, the restaurants, and the stores.

Many locals would have loved to go to the Festival -- me included -- but it's hard to commit an entire weekend to the festival if you are not coming specifically for the Jazz Fest. I'm very glad they are offering daily tickets!

Romeosmydog

Beach Fanatic
Nov 6, 2007
here
Smolian Circle surrounds the Lyceum/School.

I heard the ordinance was a reaction to a Beach Boys concert in Sandestin in 1973 that became unruly.
1983. I was 13 and they came to Coleman's (Pago-Pago, Bailey's, 331). It was a crazy mess, but hella fun even for a teenie bopper.

1983. I was 13 and they came to Coleman's (Pago-Pago, Bailey's, 331). It was a crazy mess, but hella fun even for a teenie bopper.

Holy goodness! Can you dig up a photo?

Highjack: I never went to the place when it was Coleman's or Pago-Pago, but I sure do miss Bailey's, however scary it might have been at times...good old salad days.

#1Volunteer

Beach Comber
May 19, 2008
Santa Rosa Beach
SoWal Joe

Heck, I don't live in Seaside and I spotted merchants wearing t-shirst promoting the event prior, posters hung around town and Destin, PCB, FWB, local newspaper print and heard from friends they saw out of town newspaper ads. Was in NOLA for some kickbutt music and spotted the Seaside Jazz ad in their program.

Photos and recordings are hard to deal with, since many musicians have contract requriements banning them. Yes, Y-Tube and Myspace are great but not everyone is hip to that type of promoting.

Website has been up and running promoting and informing on this event. Come on man, get off the negitive bus!!!

I would not want a job like this, trying to start something fresh and please everyone. Kudos to the person or persons trying to pull this off and create a wonderful music event.

MaxxandMe

Beach Lover
Feb 27, 2007
Seagrove Beach
For those people who came out to support this event, I applaud you. :clap: I purchased tickets and am not one bit sorry I did. I also have tickets for next weekend. I was shocked that more people would not take advantage of this venue right in our back yard. Who ever was in charge really needs to rethink. I know a few companies that would have paid for one of those tents, given it to clients, put some tables and chairs in and enjoy. The tents were absolutely ridiculous. Hopefully the people in charge will read these posts. Let the merchants of Seaside set up booths and sell stuff, rent chairs, sell hotdogs, something.

All in all in was a wonderful weekend. Hopefully more people will attend this coming weekend.:clap:

Oh and do you think they really needed a shuttle? They must have known that ticket sales were down.:dunno:

So anyone complaining about the price its free friday, and only $50 on Sat and Sun $75 on Monday, so come on out and lets support these musicians that are coming to our beautiful part of the world.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I believe the concept was to help support the bands (which most are from NOLA) and provide some gigs! Many did loose their homes during Katrina. Normally the musicians are paid direct and the ticket proceeds go to help pull off the event.

The past weekend music was awesome!!!!!!!!!!! And the weather was great....

Yes it is a great cause and a great time of year. I don't often get the chance to travel and hear great music. I am thankful Seaside Merchants have brought world-class music right here.