Seaside JAZZ Festival

Discussion in 'Music and Nightlife' started by BlueMtnBeachVagrant, May 3, 2008.

1. #1Volunteer

#1Volunteer Beach Comber

Spring Wine

That would be pretty cool tho. Don't know if Seaside could handle that many peeps in town. Homeowners don't want crowds, but merchants do...and I don't blame them either!

Word is that the Spring Wine event was not being supported by the Wine vendors/dist, since it's on the heals of the Sandestin Wine thingy. Unfortuntantly they hold the key, well Wine key that is!!!!!!!!! :floor:

2. dmarie

dmarie Beach Lover

Too bad that you don't know from whence you speak! It was a fund raiser and how else can you raise funds if you don't control the entrance and charge admission. Seaside offers enough other free events in an attempt to give back to the public.

Last edited: May 27, 2008
  3. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I think it's pretty unreasonable to expect every event at Seaside to be free!

Ticket prices may have been too high, but all of the similar events in the area cost $, even if it's a nominal amount (less than $20) to defray costs.

4. Kurt Lischka

Kurt Lischka Admin Staff Member

Thread added to the SoWal.com home page.

[​IMG]

5. #1Volunteer

#1Volunteer Beach Comber

Kurt

I have to ask, but do you really think selling tickets to an Open venue will work?? I always trying to think good of people, but come on now! An event would have to sell a butt load of beer, food, event merch, etc...to off-set the cost of having this music talent??

PS
    Good to meet you at the event on Sun.

6. 30A Skunkape

30A Skunkape Mr. Small Box

Yes, it can. I think JDarg had a very good idea and that was to begin the music outside the confines of the green. I bet you could lure plenty of people (who otherwise had no intention of paying) into the gate by starting the party outside. I know, sounds crazy, but think about it...start every day off with a performance by a brass band or Mardi Gras Indian tribe as they make the rounds through the town center, across 30-A into the merchant's area then back across 30-A into the venue. These groups are built for portablility and I promise would make a connection with many people who would want to see them finish and see what was to follow. I think a reasonably priced ticket is part of the equation...$45 buys one general admission into the New Orleans jazz fest all day. Advertise the heck out of it and offer a premium VIP seating/lounge area for a more expensive ticket. Add value to all tickets-perhaps Bud and Alley's would be kind enough to knock 10% off of a meal with a ticket stub for example.

7. Kurt Lischka

Good to meet you also! I believe with enough time for planning and marketing, which Seaside now has for next year's event, there's no reason why the next one can't be much more profitable than this year. But breaking even might be a realistic goal.

The event will always be limited in size because of space and parking. Maybe bring in sponsors to boost profits and keep ticket prices down if needed.

I really don't think a wall of tents is necessary. Just enough to separate the in from the out. People won't be hanging out in the gaps, and if they did, friendly security and staff can encourage them to buy tickets and come on in. Only a couple of tents along Scenic 30A are necessary. If people try to hang out there then friendly reminders from staff that the walkway needs to be kept clear is enough.

Once the amphitheater is full, is there much reason to worry about who's not on the grass?

8. Linda

Linda Beach Fanatic

Raw & Juicy Smoothie - $6

Cheap Seat for Neville Brothers - Priceless :D

9. #1Volunteer

#1Volunteer Beach Comber

Kurt

Oh yeah, I think they (Seaside Merchants Assoc.) will be looking at all of the pros and cons for next year to help make it better i.e. ticket prices, bands, additional sponsors, merchant participation, food/drink, etc... Maybe do one long weekend packed with musical acts all day long at a cheaper ticket..

Still trying to figure out how an open venue (i.e. with maybe a low fence) won't cause an issue...How would one combat the folks that pay and complain about the folks that can see the acts from outside the fence? Just a thought..

Hell, never mind. They have a long time to figure that one out. I just hope they (Seaside) doesn't give up on the event. With NOLA 4 1/2 hrs away, too many awesome bands to miss out on!
    Tanks

PS Major bummer to the peeps that are boasting of not paying (Supporting) to see the musical acts.

10. queenmary

queenmary Beach Comber

Jazz/blues whussup with you cheapies?

Hey, y'all,

Aren't you used to paying for great music? Whatsamatta wit y'all? Musicians have to eat, buy gas, etc. don't you get it?

Huh?

QM

11. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

QM-

I don't believe that any of the many posts about this festival expressed even a shred of concern about what the musicians would be paid. They richly deserve every penny they earn, and most of them don't earn nearly enough.

We did, however, have other concerns about the festival.

12. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

No, other than paying $75 for 8th row seats to see Willie Nelson (for my birthday present to myself), I haven't paid money to listen to good music since I bought the last Dread Clampitt CD, and I bought several of those. The bands are paid by collecting money in other ways around these parts. Cannot recall the last time I paid a cover charge to listen to music, though I see many live shows every week. Saw a great one tonight, at Amavida Coffee, in Seaside -- Cody Copeland. Now calling me cheap would make more sense if I went to see the shows and didn't support the businesses. I make it a point to spend a some money with the businesses who pay the bands. If Seaside's recent shows (not a festival by any stretch of the imagination) were open to the public, and vendors were set up, I would have supported the vendors, who were in turn paying money towards the event. Also, I spend money in Seaside throughout the year, so I've been paying for that Jazz Fest all year through the Seaside Sales Tax, which is raised for special events throughout the year.

13. dgsevier

dgsevier Beach Fanatic

We didn't go into Seaside on Sat. or Sun. because we thought it would be a zoo. IMHO the whole thing backfired. Parking was a breeze on Monday as many seemed to stay away for fear of huge crowds. Others stayed away for fear of a bad festival. In the end it was just a bunch of folks wondering where everyone else was. On Tuesday several Seaside merchants I talked to bemoaned that sales were down by 1/2 over last Memorial Day weekend. You win some, you lose some.

14. dgsevier

dgsevier Beach Fanatic

How does the extra % of tax at Seaside for A&E factor in to all of this? Would this be enough to pay the NOLA 'zishians if the production costs were underwritten by a title sponsor, like maybe Heineken?

15. Kurt Lischka

16. Smiling JOe

Smiling JOe SoWal Expert

Not everyone can afford that much money to see a show once a quarter, much less seven times in 10 days. For the record, there are ways to make the costs of the show hidden and collected through other means. With Seaside sales being down by substantial amounts while the tents were up for ten days, the shops could have had record sales, thereby contributing much money via the Seaside Entertainment tax which is collected on all sales in Seaside, except for Ruskin Place. You cannot do that if you block people from coming in.

If you are going to call it a festival, make it a festival. To help lure people into every shop, there could be Jazz, New Orleans, and Katrina exhibits in every store in Seaside. Donation buckets could be on the counter in every store. I never even heard a, "Happy Memorial Day," on Monday, much less a plug for a Seaside store. Where is the connectivity? The REP Prom had a more successful campaign, and it was all volunteers working to raise the money, without the benefit of the year-round Seaside Tax.

17. scooterbug44

You're cheap if you are scamming a "free" paid concert and justifying it with a smoothie purchase or a 1% tax! If you really wanted to support the event, but couldn't afford the ticket price, you could have gone to one of the free shows and bought a t-shirt, beverages from the sponsor, or made a small donation to help support the event.

Yes, it can be $ to eat, drink, and be entertained in this area, but with the amount of free events, volunteer jobs w/ free entry, vendors who need help staffing, and locals' discounts there is no reason to be blatantly ripping off paid events. :roll:

18. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

I think it's really important to remember that Seaside (in particular) and 30A (in general) have really small permanent populations. I'd bet 80% of the people in town on Memorial Day weekend are visitors.

And, most importantly, almost all the visitors are families. There simply aren't a lot of folks willing to spend $50 to $75 per kid to catch some tunes, no matter how great the artists or compelling the cause of the benefit.

Of the rest of us, some aren't interested in the particular artist, some don't want to deal with the festival, some can't afford it, some are out of town, etc. And the remaining 37 people bought tickets.

The reason I keep saying the festival should be free and open is that it probably isn't going to work any other way, as just explained. Make it easy for a lot of folks to come, let the merchants have a good weekend without the disruptive tents and lost parking, and find another way to pay for it, as SJ has covered so well in his posts.

And, just maybe, it shouldn't be on Memorial Day or the 4th or the wine event, so as not to disrupt the Seaside merchants' biggest weekends. Give it its own weekend, let it become its own event.

Awright, I'm done. :leaving:

19. scooterbug44

I do think it would have been more successful if they were charging $20-30 a day or similar (I know the price kept me away), but I think a totally free event is unrealistic.

If it was a kids/family issue, what do they typically do with them during events like the Wine Fests, Seabreeze Jazz Fest, or Mountainfilm?

20. Kurt Lischka

What do y'all think is a reasonable amount for locals to pay to see a national act at an outdoor venue in SoWal? Say a single act with an opening band.