• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Sandcastle

Beach Fanatic
Jan 6, 2006
Tallahassee, Florida
What's wrong with Tupelo? Is there an especially tough gang of owners in that area?

Yep! There are some nice people who own on Tupelo, but a couple of owners there stirred up this whole mess. Note that the offensive "sandwich" signs first appeared on Tupelo Street.

SHELLY

SoWal Insider
Jun 13, 2005
Yep! There are some nice people who own on Tupelo, but a couple of owners there stirred up this whole mess. Note that the offensive "sandwich" signs first appeared on Tupelo Street.

Member of the Tupelo Street Gang flashing the "Sandwich Sign"

uagangsta.jpg

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
Wow. I had heard that high-rise commercial buildings were going to replace Bud & Alley's, Perspicasity, and the entire beachside commercial area where B&A et. al. now exist. It would take some deep pockets to replace all of that with private residences. However, from what I've seen, the deep pockets get deeper, and everyone else is struggling.;-)
Welcome to GrownUpsVille, good to see you finally made it.:eek:

A few moons ago, I questioned on this very forum the entire high density, "gosh isn't this great" concept of New Urbanism. I got both roasted (lamb) and patted on my wool. :rotfl:

But isn't this the sense of community and love, Beech Rummer, that you spouted off about? Get ready to open up your arms, Babe(y), the dense get denser and the rich support density.

Then fly back to exurbian Atlanta.

TheSheep

Beach Fanatic
Jan 30, 2007
Farms
tinyurl.com
I thought this was discussed previously, but I swear, people are becoming either more self-absorbed, or just plain rude. My father lives in a gated community in Sarasota and has said that it is getting worse there with people and the rules and the nitpicking.

Squish people into communities with fake security gates, which do make you feel enclosed, and expect harmony?:blink:

Cheering472

SoWal Insider
Nov 3, 2005
I find this whole situation very sad. Seaside was where we stayed for many years, even when we stayed somewhere else we visited there to shop and have dinner. I always felt welcomed in true southern hospitality. Exclusion wasn't part of the small town feeling we fell in love with.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I was there a lot this past weekend. Nothing but nice everywhere I went...:dunno:

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
Sadly, the "it's mine and I won't share" attitude isn't confined to Seaside. But we're all more than a little disappointed to find it cropping up there. It makes a mockery of New Urbanism.

that attitude has NOTHING to do with the constructs and concept of new urbanism. that is merely a local selfishness that is cultivated by narrow-minded developers.

real urbanism and NEW urbanism offers an architectural and planned answer to sharing space and the movement and behavior of people.

seaside as well as other local developments fight their plan and architecture by attempting to force different behavior using signs and, as we have heard here, aggressive behavior. these are antithetical to the philosophy and basic tenants of new urbanism.

raven

Banned
May 14, 2007
It is sad but true, our world is becoming a "me" society. It is all about one's self, numero uno. Screw everyone else, people are looking out for themselves only.
I hate to see this happen, but I don't believe that Seaside is the only area affected by this. Just my 2 cents!
I feel sorry for the people who have businesses there, they are the ones that are working hard and will be the ones hardest hit if people do not feel welcomed in the area. :sosad:

it's not that way everywhere, i promise. the minute you leave that area, you will see there are plenty of good, unselfish people in the world who think of their communities and neighbors first and understand the benefit of an open society. people who know how to balance their own concerns with the concerns of their neighbors and do the best for the area. it's sad, but go spend more than 6 months somewhere else and your optimism about the world will be renewed.