Seaside...Welcome or Not

Discussion in 'Local Government and Groups' started by Waiting For, Dec 20, 2007.

1. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Re: Seaside - NOT Welcome:Redux

I saw the same group. Along with some small orange cones.

2. scooterbug44

scooterbug44 SoWal Expert

I am taking the Zen approach - no matter where they put the post sign a SUV will run it over! :D

3. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

Acute will always be overrun by obtuse?

4. scooterbug44

More like the problem creater shall be the problem solver!

They can't park or drive them, so the issue will be resolved soon enough!

I reached Nirvana watching a Hummer drive from Dune Allen to Blue Mountain 2' over the center line. Those signs have no chance once the season begins! :rofl:

5. Beach Bimmer

Beach Bimmer Beach Fanatic

They had a SWFD fire truck in Seaside last week, looked like they were testing how well it could make it around corners and through the streets...

6. Just_In_Thyme

Just_In_Thyme Beach Lover

I had a friend down last weekend looking at property in the area. She picked up a Seaside Times and read the letters to the editor, etc. Was so turned off by all of the "unwelcome" type publicity decided against looking any further in the Seaside/Seagrove area. She felt their money could be better spent in a more friendly atmosphere.

7. Bobby J

Bobby J Beach Fanatic

Your friend may have been a client I was working with. Decided that PC was a safer bet due to the "Private Beach" issues. They purchased in PC.

8. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

We all knew this was coming. The other half is the folks who decide to vacation elsewhere, not to risk a confrontation with the sheriff on what was supposed to be a laid-back beach vacation.

9. jpbhen

jpbhen Beach Fanatic

this reminds me so much of my sister's situation on nantucket. many of those who own homes there constantly bemoan the invasion of tourists and "day-trippers" (even though the vast majority of owners were once one or the other when they first came to the island). they all love their shops and wonderful restaurants, but would like the tourists and rabble to go away so that they could be enjoyed in peace. there is a complete disconnect for them that without the tourists, there would be no wonderful shops and restaurants because the full-time and (mostly) part-time islanders could not possibly support all of the businesses there.

in seaside, those who are now homeowners and are advocating the closing off of beaches, streets, etc., probably have forgotten what drew them there in the first place. and now they want to change seaside into a quasi-gated community - something it never was planned to be. it really is too bad - seaside has always been such a special place.

10. TreeFrog

TreeFrog Beach Fanatic

Remember, Seaside was the first New Urban development. At one point in the initial planning discussions with DPZ, they were trying to decide whether 30A should run through it or around it. They decided it needed to be open. You can see the DPZ influence in Rosemary and Alys, which are laid out the same way by the same planners. Ultimately, those 3 can never completely become gated in the way that Watersound is. But the owners can sure make then unpleasant to visit, if they choose to be that way.

11. Minnie

Minnie Beach Fanatic

I am afraid anyone will have to look a long time to find any community without some type of problem. We find Seaside to be very friendly, and we definitely do not own there.

I do understand the need for nonresidents to be able to access the shops and restuarants, however unless you are visiting a resident I see no need to be on the residential streets. The streets within Seaside are so small and crowded, I am sure the residents do have access problems.

As to the signs at the Beach I always took that to mean the pavillions and the access that Seaside has, is provided for the their residents, I never took it to mean that the actual beach was not public. :dunno:

There are always two sides to any problems, and usually the turth lies in the middle.

12. scooterbug44

There really is no reason to ever be on any residential street unless you have some sort of business there and Seaside streets are not any narrower than most of the roads in Seagrove.

I think most of the issue w/ making the streets "private" has to do w/ non Seaside vacationers parking on them to use the beach accesses. :dunno:

A "private" street is the antithesis of New Urbanism. :roll:

13. Mermaid

Mermaid picky

One of the greatest pleasures of Seaside is strolling around. How could you think that no one but a resident needs to do that?

14. beachmouse

beachmouse Beach Fanatic

Part of the pleasure of a Seaside (or Rosemary Beach for that matter) visit is strolling through the residential areas enjoying the architecture there, and trying to spot the Seaside kitties and other wildlife.

15. Sandcastle

Sandcastle Beach Fanatic

Not long ago those Seaside kitties were trapped and ?disposed of.? Cats first, tourists and neighbors next! Seaside was a lot friendlier when the cats were around.;-)

16. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

Hey Mermy, I interpreted it as Minnie meant cars driving around, not people walking around. I could be wrong though...:wave:That is where I see the problem - cars driving around v e r y s l o w l y looking at everything and clogging up the streets.

17. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

Be on the lookout for a WaterColor Kitty to be biking at will around Seaside in April and May! ;-)

18. InletBchDweller

InletBchDweller SoWal Insider

dont let anyone trap and dispose of you....:eek::wub:

19. Miss Kitty

Miss Kitty Meow

:eek:...on my! Don't worry...I always seem to get trapped at B & A's....and someone always disposes me back home! ;-)

20. Matt J

Matt J SWGB

I have a feeling that some tourists forget they are meandering through a residental section and not a movie set. I have seen people on porches peering in windows in several developments. That would get a little old and fast.