• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Those new signs on the beach do not specifically state that the beach is private, but imho they imply it. Especially to someone from somewhere else who is not familiar with the whole private/public beach legal mess. My guess is that they have been recently placed because the new parking lot at the access between Seaside and WaterColor will be opening soon. They are intended to steer the riff raff to the west, away from Seaside's beaches, and they will probably work. I sat at the top of the walkover there recently and watched a few people approach the west end sign from WaterColor. It got their attention - most everyone stopped and stared at it for a while. Then some people turned back, and some others kept on going, but cautiously, if I am any judge of body language.

Do you mind sharing your definition of Riff Raff ?:eek:
Interesting use of words IMO. :dunno:

seacrestkristi

Beach Fanatic
Nov 27, 2005
I will say the peeps at the toy store were very nice there in Xmas pasts. They even gift wrapped. :clap:Some of the stores are fuNN. They probably don't like the signs either. :dunno:

Buckhead Rick

Beach Lover
Feb 15, 2005
Watercolor is currently addressing the "golf cart" issue, not trying to keep people out but for liaibility reasons we felt all carts should conform to Florida regs and be insured in case someone got run over. The Seaside sign seems to be just trying to do the same thing.

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
How about biking? In years past, my family has enjoyed bike rides through Seaside and Watercolor streets - not everyday - just once or twice during our week there to enjoy the architecture and beauty of the neighborhoods. We also stop for drinks and snacks and shopping. We do not use beach accesses, and we're always respectful, especially since we understand the roads and property belong to others. When we bike through in April and June this year, are we in danger of being told to leave?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
How about biking? In years past, my family has enjoyed bike rides through Seaside and Watercolor streets - not everyday - just once or twice during our week there to enjoy the architecture and beauty of the neighborhoods. We also stop for drinks and snacks and shopping. We do not use beach accesses, and we're always respectful, especially since we understand the roads and property belong to others. When we bike through in April and June this year, are we in danger of being told to leave?

Sounds like you already know that riding your bicycles on private streets is not permitted.

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Sounds like you already know that riding your bicycles on private streets is not permitted.

I heard through the Grapevine last night that the powers to be at Seaside decided after all this commotion about the privacy stuff there that as of January 15th they are closing off all access to the Seaside community and posting security guards at all entry points and have further added that they intend to wall off the community and put broken glass on top of the walls to prevent people from climbing over. 30-A will no longer be a thoroughfare and should any none resident or guest want to enter must pay for a daily pass. Now?. You heard it through the Grapevine?. :eek:

Coast is Clear

Beach Lover
Jun 26, 2005
Atlanta/Seaside
Gardening1970, as an owner in Seaside I would completely expect that you are welcome to ride your bike around Seaside and enjoy the town. It would truely be sad if we got to the point where that was not allowed.

From everything I have heard as an owner, the issue is not with visitors that enjoy the town, park cars correctly, and don't take advantage of the hospitality which Seaside has historically been know for.

There are clearly those visitors that step over the line and that might be why there has been a bit of a knee jerk reaction.

These are the realities we have to deal with:

-Parking is an issue and homeowners and guests of theirs should have priority to park next to their homes. Many visitors could care less about this common courtesy. New parking opening up may help this a bit.

-The bollards that were put on the eastern boarder of Seaside were there strictly to prevent construction cut through traffic that occurs during the busy months and boom times of last few years. Seaside streets are not designed for that kind of traffic especially with many small children on foot and on bikes. I also was told Fire Dept had been consulted before they went up.

-Numerous homes near Seaside, but not in Seaside, make it clear to their guests that they have full use of all Seaside facilites, when they don't pay one cent to repair, rebuild, insure, etc them. Some even claim they are in Seaside to make more rental income. Full wedding parties have come from outside Seaside to use the walkovers, without any permission. This is what has gotten things so out of hand.

I know there is a middle ground that should be achievable, but 10% of the inconsiderate visitors have made it difficult for all the owners as well as the 90% of visitors we welcome with open arms.

Just my 2 cents

gardening1970

Beach Fanatic
Jan 8, 2006
Atlanta
Thank you for your post Coast is Clear. You are a very gracious owner. I understand the dilemma, and like you, I hope a middle ground is achievable.

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA

:eek: I had no idea...I always assumed that I was contributing to the beauty of their streets by riding through. (*snort!*)

I was glad that Coast is Clear posted that we are invited, if not permitted.