• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Those huge intimidating signs on the beach are most definitely new.

I know you can pay to join the Rosemary fitness center regardless of where you live. Not sure if membership includes the pool.

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
Hmmmm... Does this mean people who don't own at Seaside can pay to use the pool on a daily, weekly, monthly or yearly basis? Do you have more info on this, Tootsie (or anyone)? I'm assuming it's a heated pool?

Does Rosemary Beach offers non-owners the ability to pay to use their pool as well? Heated pool?

Paula: you can pay an annual fee to Seaside for pools and tennis courts. there is a pool they cover during winter and it is heated (spidey took swim lessons there one winter).

you can pay to use Rosemary Beach fitness center, and tennis facility. I don't know about pool.

Beach Bimmer - love love love your post.:D

SJ - maybe Seaside has new signs, but I do know they have always had signs at each entrance to the residential area stating that the roads were for residents and guests use only. those have been there forever. we always comment on them whenever we violate them - which has been about a million times.

beachmouse

Beach Fanatic
Dec 5, 2004
Bluewater Bay, FL
And it does make sense to restrict vehicle traffic in residential areas since the roads seem so very narrow (more so than in Watercolor) and more than half the people who would drive in the area, owner or registered guest or no, seem to be driving a giant SUV.

If they've been yelling at people for just walking around north of 30-A, then that becomes another story.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
SJ - maybe Seaside has new signs, but I do know they have always had signs at each entrance to the residential area stating that the roads were for residents and guests use only. those have been there forever. we always comment on them whenever we violate them - which has been about a million times.
You are correct about the private street signs on the posts, but I was specifically referring to the marquees which they added this year at the entrance to each street. The SWFD made them remove those, along with the other center posts, which prohibited firetrucks from entering the streets.

Waiting For

Beach Comber
Dec 10, 2007
From today's Walton Sun :

Seaside required to remove signs
December 21, 2007
By Sean Boone

The Seaside Town Council removed its middle-street signs last week due to accessibility issues. The community was told by the South Walton Fire District that they violated fire code and needed to be removed immediately.
The signs, which sat in the middle of each street corner adjacent to County Road 30A, made it very difficult for larger emergency vehicles to get around.
SWFD Life Safety Coordinator Kay Money said that the signs were against fire code and that the streets were just too small for them.
“We had a worker fall off a roof recently and we could not get to him because of the blocked access,” she said. “We had to remove two signs to get back there.”

and yesterday's NW Florida News:

Seaside removes signs that violated fire code
NW Florida Daily News
Thursday December 20th, 2007
The Seaside Town Council removed its middle-street signs last week due to accessibility issues. The community was told by the South Walton Fire District that they violated fire code and needed to be removed immediately.

The signs, which sat in the middle of each street corner adjacent to County Road 30A, made it very difficult for larger emergency vehicles to get around.

SWFD Life Safety Coordinator Kay Money said that the signs were against fire code and that the streets were just too small for them.

“We had a worker fall off a roof recently and we could not get to him because of the blocked access,” she said. “We had to remove two signs to get back there.”

montana

Beach Comber
Feb 7, 2006
not on the beach
i think that the problem with Seaside as a whole is pretty much the same as WC. you have so many factions in place that are making up the town. take for instance the CRA rental agency that is run by who "interwest" from who know where and then each street in Seaside has it's own association and then you have the homeowners association as a whole. I know that last season the Tupalo association moved ahead on some things that would be construed as "un-inviting" based on their needs not Seasides. As far as comments concerning a group that would sit in on some of these meetings; it would be farfetched to me. the battles I hear about just between the renters and private homeowners seem down right bloody at times. then take into account people starting to spend more time in the private homes and renters paying top dollar to stay in other homes. you can go on and on. Kurt is right in so many ways about just for the kids. I walk Seaside and WC everyday, it would seem to me the only way is to get everyone to a discussion table and find tolerance but at the same time. who could get that started even in each of those communities themselves let alone Seagrove or other area's that touch these? I've heard the sides, i empathize with some of each argument. very hard stuff! I really think the Beach tide ruling is the answer to some of this. take it to a state/fed level and then see how some of this plays out.

Last edited:

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Montana, do you care to share the "Beach tide ruling" with us? I have no clue as to what you are talking about when you say that.

montana

Beach Comber
Feb 7, 2006
not on the beach
i'm refering to the arguments in the "led away in handcuffs" thread. Mean tide? Hight tide? wet sand/mean tide? what ever! just the fact that if you don't want people on your land right now is the time to speak up .....thus, all the signage. if the county/state/usa rules on that at some time then maybe it would stop all of the other signage? I'm of the thinking that it stems from that more than anything.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Oh, I see. I was a bit confused by the new term. I agree that the signage was likely recently placed, at the request of Seaside's attorney to stop the public use which has been happening since Seaside began many years ago. Interestingly, I haven't seen any signs stating that the beach is private in Seaside -- only signs that the accesses in Seaside are private.

NotDeadYet

Beach Fanatic
Jul 7, 2007
Those new signs on the beach do not specifically state that the beach is private, but imho they imply it. Especially to someone from somewhere else who is not familiar with the whole private/public beach legal mess. My guess is that they have been recently placed because the new parking lot at the access between Seaside and WaterColor will be opening soon. They are intended to steer the riff raff to the west, away from Seaside's beaches, and they will probably work. I sat at the top of the walkover there recently and watched a few people approach the west end sign from WaterColor. It got their attention - most everyone stopped and stared at it for a while. Then some people turned back, and some others kept on going, but cautiously, if I am any judge of body language.