• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I know its sad but.. guess who will inherit that family home and become the new generation of homeowners?? What then?

Why so bitter? Your posts in this thread match your Grinch avatar. Seaside is not Whoville.

Seaside is all about the kids. The kids are making memories that will last a lifetime. It warms my heart to see kids of all ages playing in Seaside. And adults acting like kids. Most of the kids in Seaside don't own there. They are lucky to be able to visit. Hopefully one day they will grow into fine adults who realize they are lucky.

Now go buy a kid a present, you seasick crocodile. :lol:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
The attitudes and situations described in this thread show what is a HUGE problem all over this area and country. Sharing and common courtesy is becoming a foreign concept and the sense of community that made people flock here is in danger of disappearing as more and more territorial signs go up every day.

The Seaside pavillions ARE private and people using them inappropriately is a common problem. However, someone renting a home in Seagrove and having a wedding reception or party in a Seaside pavillion is quite a different issue than someone quietly eating a sandwich in one.

Someone parking in your driveway, running over landscaping, or blocking you in is also quite a different issue than someone parking a car in a designated parking space that just happens to be in front of your house.

Someone enjoying the beach in a respectful manner is also quite a different issue than someone holding a noisy kegger on your back porch.

There are obnoxious and rude things people do that justifiably cause complaints and preclude others from using resources and then there are everyday neighborly uses that harm noone. People need to differentiate between the two, stop using lawyers to solve every issue, and get a freakin' grip!

Kurt

Admin
Staff member
Oct 15, 2004
SoWal
mooncreek.com
I feel the need to add that you could wander around in Seaside for days without anyone saying anything other than "beautiful day, isn't it"?

I might have to go experiment.

Waiting For

Beach Comber
Dec 10, 2007
Just realized that stuff like this at Seaside was a thread discussion already, months ago...in September!
Seaside and Private Access - SoWal Beaches Forum

Interestingly though, today, a friend visiting who owns at Seaside said the signs didn't get discussed when the owners had their annual meeting in October...maybe the "chosen frozen few" didn't want the majority of Seaside owners to realize what they were up to?

NoHall

hmmmm......can't remember
May 28, 2007
Northern Hall County, GA
I feel the need to add that you could wander around in Seaside for days without anyone saying anything other than "beautiful day, isn't it"?

That has always been my feeling. I do go there to wander--usually I'll scurry down the street behind the toy store toward the church (I'll go in the church if it's unlocked) and find a place to just sit still and watch the clouds go by. (If there are no clouds, I just look at the clear blue sky until my eyes cross.)

I've never accessed the beach from Seaside, but I've used their bathroom. I've sat on their beaches. I've driven (safely and respectfully) through their streets. I've never heard a peep from anyone.

Am I just lucky?

Jdarg

SoWal Expert
Feb 15, 2005
Remember a similar discussion about Rosemary? I don't like the bad karma these "few" are projecting onto the place as a whole, but I can see both sides.

I'm all about Seaside's beaches (the sand) being public- I walk through there all the time. I don't park my chair there because the beach is scrawny and there are many beaches along 30A that are far superior.

I don't think it is out of line to buy lunch and eat it on a walkover or beach, but I do think it is out of line to pull up in a car or pull a wagon full of beach stuff and use the walkovers as if you were staying there. That falls under my "rules of use" test- would you just walk into a resort, condo, or hotel and use their pool, exercise room, or other facilities, just because you dined or shopped there? If you are not staying there, you don't have the right to use these amenities. Apparently this is happening too often and has become noticeable to owners, and I am sure it is aggravating.

I do think it is a bit snarky to be nasty about the Seaside back roads. If someone wants a nice quiet road, they should live in the country, not in a uber high-density community. Just 2 cars seem like a traffic jam because of Seaside's design, but hey, if you like that design and bought in Seaside, you better learn to live with the negatives too. It is my understanding that these are public streets, and we can walk or drive on them. It's a little late in the game to gate off the residential area, and I really doubt that was the original intention of Robert Davis and the New Urbanists.

So, what to do? I will continue to enjoy what Seaside has to offer the public- events, shopping, theater, dining, Bud's, the big "bowl". Why would a town center have been built if it wasn't intended to be a real town center? If somebody that lives there doesn't like us being there, too bad.

This is just a guess, but I bet that many of the unhappy Seasiders have their primary residences in gated communities. Which means they could never understand the concept of Seaside anyway.;-)

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove

I did just that this afternoon. Walked into Roly Poly, bought an ice cream, took it down to the pavilion, ate it, and admired the nice day at the beach, then threw out my own trash.

I guess the "trespass patrol" wasn't out today. Everybody just said hi and went about their business.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I took it a step farther and drove through the streets and out through the best dirt roads in Seagrove.

Thinking about the big pavilion, Roly Poly used to have a sign there noting the pavilion was the dining pavilion for Roly Poly. I guess Seaside didn't like that.

My personal guess regarding the signs is that Seaside's lawyer thought of this one, after The Retreat put up their private beach signs and ran into confrontation.

Did I mention that I drove to Seaside last night and saw only one car, in addition to mine, in the entire development? I really don't think they are worried too much about trespassers on days like these.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
Did I mention that I drove to Seaside last night and saw only one car, in addition to mine, in the entire development? I really don't think they are worried too much about trespassers on days like these.

There weren't too many there this afternoon, either. None of the galleries had any browsers, B&A was quiet, Perspicacity was abandoned, and I got a parking spot right in front of Modica on the first pass. :shock: