• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.
Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Meeting once a month is one thing, but attending the two BCC meetings and the Planning Commission meetings each month, in addition to the SoWal meeting, would begin to take up mucho time and energy, and that is in addition to writing emails, summary of meetings, sitting down with your own community, doing research on current topics, etc. It could easily take up 40 hours a month if it was done right.

I don't know how many reps we would need but say 5-6 and have one go to each separate meeting and rotate the meetings they attend and report back monthly to the board? I am just thinking out load here so don't hold my toes to the fire LOL!

Waiting For

Beach Comber
Dec 10, 2007
Tootsie wrote: "I read Susan's article about the signs and glad she addressed this because, to me, Seaside has always been very open to the public and I hope it stays this way.
...I haven't heard about anyone being told to leave the pavillion or beach areas - I hope this isn't a problem"

Tootsie and all, maybe the below will fill in a few pieces of how dramatic the actions of just one or two people can be:

"I live in Seagrove Beach with my wife. We built our house over a year ago and we absolutely love living in this community. I agree with your opinions and although I do not live in Seaside I shop and dine there. We are members of the Seaside tennis and fitness club. We attend the Seaside chapel, where my wife is a volunteer. We are donors to the Seaside Repertory Theater and our daughter was married on the beach in Seaside this past year. We have made wonderful friends in Seaside and all through the local community. We support all the local businesses in Seaside and bordering communities.

In the past year we have felt as though Seaside is taking on an image of "if you do not live here, you're not welcome." I will give you 2 perfect example's. This past summer, members of our family walked from our home to the Seaside Fitness center (where we are members). As they crossed past Tupelo St. into Seaside, they were confronted by an individual who asked them if they lived in Seaside and of course the answer was no, "we are going to the fitness club". They were then told that Seaside is a private community and is only for homeowners or guests of Seaside. WOW! I guess that was in the small print when we paid our family membership last year.

Example 2: I work from home and I will several times per week ride my bike at lunchtime to a local shop to purchase something to eat. Many times I would ride into Seaside and stop at Modica's or Roly Poly, buy lunch and walk to a pavilion to enjoy the beauty of the beach. About a month ago,I stopped at Modica's, bought a sandwich, hopped on my bike and stopped at one of the pavilion's to eat and enjoy the beautiful day before returning to work. Within 2 minutes of sitting down and unwrapping my sandwich, I was confronted by a woman who asked if I was a resident of Seaside. Of course I said no I was just eating lunch before returning to work. She then proceeded to tell me that this was private property, I was trespassing and I had to leave or she would call security. Again WOW! I looked around, there was no one on the pavilion, on the beach or anywhere else I could see. I very politely gathered my lunch, bid her a good day and left. I wasn't mad but actually sad, I was not welcome. I will not go back to Seaside at lunchtime and I doubt we will renew our membership to the tennis and fitness club either.

I am perplexed to understand why Seaside would want to encourage this? I say encourage it since obviously it is not discouraged. I doubt that one person would have the authority to place signs at entrances and all around Seaside, so it must be a Seaside majority vote that rules? I guess this is acceptable to Robert Davis as well? I have never met Mr. Davis but admire or shall I say did admire his vision and "new urbanism" approach. If this Seaside is new urbanism then I am not a fan.

I agree that with the limited parking space in front of houses,
people attending events etc, should not park in front of homes. Which leads me to another interesting observation. Golf carts unless they are Seaside golf carts are not allowed? Does it not make more sense that a golf cart would help reduce car traffic and actually be safer and cause less of a parking problem than a full size car? If this is the direction that the Seaside community wants to go then I would suggest installing security gates and issuing passes that only admit Seaside residents. I doubt that the Seaside businesses owners are pleased that customers are being run out of town, but Seaside is doing an effective job of discouraging folks from coming in.

We do not loiter, we pick up trash if it is strewn around, whether it is
Seaside or Seacrest or Grayton Beach or Seagrove. We live here and respect the beauty of all of Walton County.

Tony Lagratta
Seagrove Beach"

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
Tootsie wrote: "I read Susan's article about the signs and glad she addressed this because, to me, Seaside has always been very open to the public and I hope it stays this way.
...I haven't heard about anyone being told to leave the pavillion or beach areas - I hope this isn't a problem"

Tootsie and all, maybe the below will fill in a few pieces of how dramatic the actions of just one or two people can be:

"I live in Seagrove Beach with my wife. We built our house over a year ago and we absolutely love living in this community. I agree with your opinions and although I do not live in Seaside I shop and dine there. We are members of the Seaside tennis and fitness club. We attend the Seaside chapel, where my wife is a volunteer. We are donors to the Seaside Repertory Theater and our daughter was married on the beach in Seaside this past year. We have made wonderful friends in Seaside and all through the local community. We support all the local businesses in Seaside and bordering communities.

In the past year we have felt as though Seaside is taking on an image of "if you do not live here, you're not welcome." I will give you 2 perfect example's. This past summer, members of our family walked from our home to the Seaside Fitness center (where we are members). As they crossed past Tupelo St. into Seaside, they were confronted by an individual who asked them if they lived in Seaside and of course the answer was no, "we are going to the fitness club". They were then told that Seaside is a private community and is only for homeowners or guests of Seaside. WOW! I guess that was in the small print when we paid our family membership last year.

Example 2: I work from home and I will several times per week ride my bike at lunchtime to a local shop to purchase something to eat. Many times I would ride into Seaside and stop at Modica's or Roly Poly, buy lunch and walk to a pavilion to enjoy the beauty of the beach. About a month ago,I stopped at Modica's, bought a sandwich, hopped on my bike and stopped at one of the pavilion's to eat and enjoy the beautiful day before returning to work. Within 2 minutes of sitting down and unwrapping my sandwich, I was confronted by a woman who asked if I was a resident of Seaside. Of course I said no I was just eating lunch before returning to work. She then proceeded to tell me that this was private property, I was trespassing and I had to leave or she would call security. Again WOW! I looked around, there was no one on the pavilion, on the beach or anywhere else I could see. I very politely gathered my lunch, bid her a good day and left. I wasn't mad but actually sad, I was not welcome. I will not go back to Seaside at lunchtime and I doubt we will renew our membership to the tennis and fitness club either.

I am perplexed to understand why Seaside would want to encourage this? I say encourage it since obviously it is not discouraged. I doubt that one person would have the authority to place signs at entrances and all around Seaside, so it must be a Seaside majority vote that rules? I guess this is acceptable to Robert Davis as well? I have never met Mr. Davis but admire or shall I say did admire his vision and "new urbanism" approach. If this Seaside is new urbanism then I am not a fan.

I agree that with the limited parking space in front of houses,
people attending events etc, should not park in front of homes. Which leads me to another interesting observation. Golf carts unless they are Seaside golf carts are not allowed? Does it not make more sense that a golf cart would help reduce car traffic and actually be safer and cause less of a parking problem than a full size car? If this is the direction that the Seaside community wants to go then I would suggest installing security gates and issuing passes that only admit Seaside residents. I doubt that the Seaside businesses owners are pleased that customers are being run out of town, but Seaside is doing an effective job of discouraging folks from coming in.

We do not loiter, we pick up trash if it is strewn around, whether it is
Seaside or Seacrest or Grayton Beach or Seagrove. We live here and respect the beauty of all of Walton County.

Tony Lagratta
Seagrove Beach"

Tony, Well said.... and gesh how sad that sharing is down to its "Mine". Oh well, to me its simple.. but hard as well. The law is that.. if we disagree lets advocate to change it.. Not break it. Again my opinion is that a solid line of communication here is what is needed. I respect the people that founded Seaside, I know when all it was , was a sand and dune with low maintained road. Thanks to the founders IMO we now have a wonderful place that shines. But we need to get through this small mental block and work together to make it a positive. Just my opinion again. :blush:

NotnKansas

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2006
SOWAL, FL
Waiting For - wow. That blows my mind. At one time I did live in Seaside - and now I live in Seagrove. But the comments that the 'homeowners' made directly to you really breaks my heart. Seriously. Good people are here. It's all about Karma. Seaside 'homeowners' just need to remember that when they feel like that need to ruin someone's lunch.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
My point of contention is not different than it is with the beach being customarily used by the public for many years. When Seaside was growing over the last twenty five years, they allowed the public to use every access, pavilion and streets. I believe that although that property may be privately owned, since the public has been allowed full access, the public may have some customary use rights to what they are now being permitted from using. Continuing to use that which has customarily been used by the public for numerous years, MAY be staying within the boundaries of the Law. Only a Court can make that decision, and my opinion is not a "legal opinion" on the subject.

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun
My point of contention is not different than it is with the beach being customarily used by the public for many years. When Seaside was growing over the last twenty five years, they allowed the public to use every access, pavilion and streets. I believe that although that property may be privately owned, since the public has been allowed full access, the public may have some customary use rights to what they are now being permitted from using. Continuing to use that which has customarily been used by the public for numerous years, MAY be staying within the boundaries of the Law. Only a Court can make that decision, and my opinion is not a "legal opinion" on the subject.

SJ I am with you 110% on this, I just think things would be different if everyone did not have to pay the penalty for the actions of a few that made a dump out of these folks private property. I respect other peoples property and clean up after myself in public, (Wife made me put "PUBLIC" in there :eek:) But I feel the reason is that folks are sick and tied of paying for something that others just trash and leave behind a mess. I mean its not everyone more than likely its only a few, but than the few seem to be the reason behind some of the actions, all be-it not that I like people ruining a mans lunch but I could understand if that lady seen the mess others left behind and she pays for it? Dunno again communication is a GOOD thing.

NotnKansas

Beach Lover
Aug 3, 2006
SOWAL, FL
Not to point fingers - but most of the damage that I've seen in Seaside are from kids. Kids that feel as though since they are not at home can do what ever they want. Again. Not to point fingers. :)

jodiFL

Beach Fanatic
Jul 28, 2007
SOWAL,FL
Not to point fingers - but most of the damage that I've seen in Seaside are from kids. Kids that feel as though since they are not at home can do what ever they want. Again. Not to point fingers. :)
I know its sad but.. guess who will inherit that family home and become the new generation of homeowners?? What then?

Aug 30, 2007
3rd Rock from the sun

But it is most likely why these folks (With or Without Kids) that live there and pay the bills might feel a bit upset? Society today is another thread, but anyone and I stress the word again ANYONE that See's someone doing something wrong needs to step up and point it out ...1st to the person thats doing it and if that don't work call the authorities. Sorry ...But I feel if someone watches someone leave trash behind or damage property and say nothing then....they are just as guilty as the one who done it.. again just my opinion.:dunno:

Teresa

SoWal Guide
Staff member
Nov 15, 2004
South Walton, FL
sowal.com
I would like to point out that the road signs between seaside and seagrove property have been there for at least a few years. I know because I regularly cut through one or both streets. I've never been stopped except once when leaving seaside entering seagrove, a man yelled at me saying this was not a cut through (he was on the seagrove side). I didn't stop to argue. I understand that the residential section is primarily for guests and residents, and respect this. but sometimes you gotta get to the pool or whatever to visit with friends.

once again, I have to say that we've always been treated very well at any time we step foot in Seaside (which is quite often) and enjoy visiting all our friends and their businesses in Seaside. we don't have to wait for an "event" to go. we feel welcome any time. of course, we do choose NOT to go to seaside during peak times/events... that's just asking for headache!

Last edited: