• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should Code Enforcement Proactively enforce Walton County Codes?

• Yes

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Currently Walton County Code Enforcement works in a reactive mode. This requires an actual complaint from someone to cause any action from the county.

At a recent BCC meeting CM and SC starting talking about a change in policy to a proactive enforcement board. This would mean the county would be divided into zones and code officers would patrol these areas looking for code violations and working with people to bring their properties into compliance.

I am curious as to people's opinions on such a change. It will be discussed next Tuesday at the BCC meeting.

And for this reactive approach they needed those expensive trucks -- why?:yikes:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
What good are laws if they aren't going to be enforced? You don't see the Sheriff's Deputies sitting around a table at the Sheriff's Station, waiting for calls. They are out patrolling the streets.

I will start another thread on that later.

Okay two issues that I constantly hear about code enforcement that I think need to be addressed.

The snipe signs are a bit ridiculous. They should pick up what they can, and if they can track down the owner of the sign then I see no problem with citing them. But I am figuring that someone would want some sort of exemption built into the code for yard sales, art festivals, things of that nature. Also, since the county makes frequent use of the signs to advertise rec programs, what about them? Currently they are exempt, but leading by example is a good thing, no?

The other thing is weekends and holidays. I really feel that something should be done about the off days of the government. It is quite obvious that the marketers have learned what days it is safe to line the streets with rainbow flags, banners, and signs.

But for code officers to drive around and stop you and talk about the color of your building, the height of your fence, did you get a permit for that temporary storage trailer, things of that nature, I think is a bit much. Still not near as bad once you cross the bay. The 'failure to maintain' citations that could be issued in nowal would keep the whole lot of them busy for years. And if you cite one, you would have to do them all in the area to make sure no one claims selective enforcement.

Maybe but he also did code enforcement. I thought his law enforcement experience was in Pensacola.
You are correct. He was an officer in Pensacola. In my dealings with Kevin he has always been very professional. I think he would do a fine job of managing a pro active dept. He is not the police state type at all. He's more in to education vs enforcement.

TreeFrog

Beach Fanatic
Oct 11, 2005
Seagrove
The challenge for code enforcement is this - regardless of whether they are proactive or waiting for a complaint, they are reacting to a "done deed" .

A spec house was built a couple of streets over from me last year. First, they clear-cut (actually bulldozed) the lot. Then, they brought in a bunch of brown fill sand. Someone filed a complaint, there was a stop-work order, but ultimately they didn't change a single thing.

I don't know how you solve this.

Unrelated to realistic challenges facing code enforcement, rant starts.

Personally, I'm all for proactive. The laws are laws. If we don't enforce the laws we've got, we'll look like Miami in 10 years. If you don't like the laws, get them changed.

My former neighborhood in Memphis was designated a "National Historic District" in 1984. Far from being a problem, the additional restrictions helped property values, made the neighborhood desirable (even in the current downturn sales there have held up), and built a sense of belonging to all the residents. The polar opposite of the "every man for himself" attitude that develops when personal property rights trump all. The most expensive property is typically in SoWal is in Seaside, Rosemary, Watercolor, Alys, etc. where, you've guessed it, they have.....

End of rant.

Last edited:

scooterbug44

SoWal Expert
May 8, 2007
Sowal
Big difference between driving past something that is in violation and trolling the area for violations. I don't think that being completely reactionary is a good thing, but I also don't want them to have to fill a quota of violations each month to justify their expenses.

They seriously don't act on violations that they see, but haven't received complaints on? That's pretty damn stupid IMO!

Is this idea of being proactive coming up because they want to add personnel or can't justify current staffing (and unnecessary equipment like 4x4 trucks)?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I will start another thread on that later.

Okay two issues that I constantly hear about code enforcement that I think need to be addressed.

The snipe signs are a bit ridiculous. They should pick up what they can, and if they can track down the owner of the sign then I see no problem with citing them. But I am figuring that someone would want some sort of exemption built into the code for yard sales, art festivals, things of that nature. Also, since the county makes frequent use of the signs to advertise rec programs, what about them? Currently they are exempt, but leading by example is a good thing, no?

The other thing is weekends and holidays. I really feel that something should be done about the off days of the government. It is quite obvious that the marketers have learned what days it is safe to line the streets with rainbow flags, banners, and signs.

But for code officers to drive around and stop you and talk about the color of your building, the height of your fence, did you get a permit for that temporary storage trailer, things of that nature, I think is a bit much. Still not near as bad once you cross the bay. The 'failure to maintain' citations that could be issued in nowal would keep the whole lot of them busy for years. And if you cite one, you would have to do them all in the area to make sure no one claims selective enforcement.

As for yard sales, there is not a County ordinance against having a sign in your yard. Birthday parties, open houses, yard sales, etc, typically are held on weekends. Some people place directional signs for those just prior to the event and then, remove them immediately afterward. Maybe that should be addressed. Since Code Enforcement is on-call during the weekends, unless that, too changes, there would be no one enforcing that law during the weekends. Maybe that is an easy enough answer to solve that question. Did you notice all the southwaltonsingles.com signs which sprouted all over the right of way on last Friday, just after Code Enforcement clocked out for the Holiday weekend? FireSale.com signs went up today. I almost backed up to run it over. It is litter. So is a junk car parked on the side of the road. For sale autos parked on the hwy can also get out of hand. Why shouldn't Code Enforcement be able to handle those when they see them? For those who are so against Code Enforcement doing their job, maybe we should change the name of that County office to "Code-Enforcement-Upon-Request-Only."

No one said that they need to drive around and check for house color, but if a permit is needed to build a house, add a deck, etc, it should be posted. Fences are easy enough to spot and easy enough to tell if something is well out of whack, like a six foot tall fence around the front of the property on a corner lot, blocking the field of view for traffic. Also easy to spot would be the people who like to bulldoze a path through wetlands to start filling it for a driveway. The house may need a CO to be built, but that doesn't mean that the house was legally built, FloridaGirl, on illegally filled wetlands.

I view it like I view the cops. They give you a break if you are going slightly over the speed limit. Code Enforcement wouldn't need to get out their tape measure every time they drive by someone building a fence. The obvious breaches of the law should be dealt with accordingly.

I'll throw out another example question for you. Should the Health Department conduct inspections of restaurants only after someone reports getting sick?

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
I'll add one other thing. If you don't like the laws, change the laws. Laws need to be well-thought and enforceable. Without enforcement, we really don't need to waste money on the people who make the laws.