• Trouble logging in? Send us a message with your username and/or email address for help.

Should Code Enforcement Proactively enforce Walton County Codes?

• Yes

Votes: 35 70.0%
  • No

Votes: 15 30.0%

• Total voters

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Remember the photos? I took them. One of the duties of Code Enforcement is to check for permits on things such as bulkheads being erected and backfilled to increase the size of the property. I kept calling Code Enforcement and the DEP regarding the back hoe in the Bay project, yet they didn't do much of anything after posting the Stop Work Order. Permits were later issued for the remaining lots to build bulkheads, but I guarantee you that they weren't issued to erect the bulkhead out into the water as they did. The deeds for those properties state that the properties go to the water's edge. The bulkhead was built as far as about 12-15 ft out into the water.

The Real Estate Broker and Realtor, who dug the canals on that property off of Lagrange Rd were told by the DEP that they would be fined daily until the land was restored back as it was before their illegal activity. The fines were pricey, something like $1,000 per day. The Realtor's dad is/was a Judge in Okaloosa County, and the fine was removed by the Judge and suddenly everything was "okay," even though the two did nothing else to restore the land as required by the DEP. In the last several months, they have been cleared the land and it appears that they have a guy living on the property in a small RV, maybe acting as security. Gates are always locked now.

I have numerous environmental examples which I can give you where no permits were ever pulled, and illegal activity occurred. Many occurred without Code Enforcement being called until well after the damage had been done. Remember the subdivision adjacent and north of Redfish Village? On a holiday weekend, they plowed right through the water which feeds into Big Redfish Lake, and installed a bridge with culverts.

How about the guy on Oak Av, who recently blazed a path through standing water (before the rains) to cut in a driveway through designated wetlands, without a permit? Stop Work Order was issued, but so much of the damage was already done. I am wondering what it looks like after the 9" of rain we had in the last three days. photo below:
IMG_7071sm.jpg

The list goes on, and those are just a couple of the ones which I have seen.

Last edited:

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Remember the photos? I took them. One of the duties of Code Enforcement is to check for permits on things such as bulkheads being erected and backfilled to increase the size of the property. I kept calling Code Enforcement and the DEP regarding the back hoe in the Bay project, yet they didn't do much of anything after posting the Stop Work Order. Permits were later issued for the remaining lots to build bulkheads, but I guarantee you that they weren't issued to erect the bulkhead out into the water as they did. The deeds for those properties state that the properties go to the water's edge. The bulkhead was built as far as about 12-15 ft out into the water.

The Real Estate Broker and Realtor, who dug the canals on that property off of Lagrange Rd were told by the DEP that they would be fined daily until the land was restored back as it was before their illegal activity. The fines were pricey, something like $1,000 per day. The Realtor's dad is/was a Judge in Okaloosa County, and the fine was removed by the Judge and suddenly everything was "okay," even though the two did nothing else to restore the land as required by the DEP. In the last several months, they have been cleared the land and it appears that they have a guy living on the property in a small RV, maybe acting as security. Gates are always locked now.

I have numerous environmental examples which I can give you where no permits were ever pulled, and illegal activity occurred. Many occurred without Code Enforcement being called until well after the damage had been done. Remember the subdivision adjacent and north of Redfish Village? On a holiday weekend, they plowed right through the water which feeds into Big Redfish Lake, and installed a bridge with culverts.

How about the guy on Oak Av, who recently blazed a path through standing water (before the rains) to cut in a driveway through designated wetlands, without a permit? Stop Work Order was issued, but so much of the damage was already done. I am wondering what it looks like after the 9" of rain we had in the last three days. photo below:
IMG_7071sm.jpg

The list goes on, and those are just a couple of the ones which I have seen.

Okay you have made your point with me. Now if you want to see this get past the BCC then I would imagine you are going to have to try to make the point with them Tuesday night. I do not think the votes are present to change the policy. But I have been wrong before.

They seem to have several special rules that apply to things like noise, lights, and such in the south end of the county. Maybe they need to look at doing the same here. Of course developement is starting to really go crazy. Going to work the other day I saw a lot of dirt being dumped into an area that I know stays wet all the time. It has some sort of a blue permit nailed to a tree, not sure what that is, but the curious thing were the state prisoners that appeared to be assisting with the project. Maybe it will be dry enough tomorrow to go look.

Wasn't that guy put in jail or something? I agree that it sure seems a lot of the big things are getting missed. Remember the pics of the equipment in the bay a few months back. But someone did call and they get involved.

What we really need are some enviromental law enforcement officers in this county, under the Sheriff's department, that can arrest or take whatever action is necessary to stop the violation from occurring at the moment.
I'm pretty sure that code voilations are civil problems not criminal. As far as the sheriffs office,:bang: (I can't resist, its to easy) The Sheriff refuses to manage the jail, I'm sure he is way above enforcing codes.
If Code Enforcement would work in a proactive manner on weekends alot of violations would cease.
Kevin, code enforcement boss told me the reason they don't work weekends is all officers live in N, County and no one was willing to drive to South Walton State to work on weekends. He told me this on Oct.10, 2007. He said he was working on fixing the problem. I don't know what the protocal for weekend enforcement is at this time.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
stan said:
I don't know what the protocal for weekend enforcement is at this time.
When I reported a possible violation recently on a Friday, the person to whom I turned in the complaint form said that she would get someone on it immediately, because otherwise it would be Tuesday before they could get to it, since Monday was a holiday. My understanding is that Code Enforcement doesn't work on the weekends or holidays, and every violator seems to know this, too. At a BCC meeting, discussing the lighting ordinance, it was stated that there is one on-call Code Enforcement officer on the weekends, but he will not report to duty unless a call justifies it. Remember that the only way they will currently investigate is if someone files a written complaint form. Since the office is closed on the weekends, too, no one can send in a written complaint form over the weekend, so the on-call Code Enforcement officer is not really on-call, or that is at least the way I deduct things.

GoodWitch58

Beach Fanatic
Oct 10, 2005
Perhaps they could arrange it so that peeps could email complaints. Do they have a web site that shows anything about code enforecment? How are members of the community supposed to know the process?

wrobert

Beach Fanatic
Nov 21, 2007
DeFuniak Springs
www.defuniaksprings.com
Kevin, code enforcement boss told me the reason they don't work weekends is all officers live in N, County and no one was willing to drive to South Walton State to work on weekends. He told me this on Oct.10, 2007. He said he was working on fixing the problem. I don't know what the protocal for weekend enforcement is at this time.

Interesting. Kevin lives in Santa Rosa County. And one of the other officers live in Navarre. The north officers all drive a single code vehicle to the courthouse in DeFuniak then leave from there during the week. If they were on call and called, I can not imagine any of them not coming out. That is the job.

Right now they are also doing the four day work week thing. I really think that they could continue that schedule, just spread some people out over the weekends and it would solve a lot of the problems without a change in policy.

Smiling JOe

SoWal Expert
Nov 18, 2004
Look at the number of lurkers on this message board, compared to the people who actually post something. I think you will find a similarity in the number of people who see wrongdoings, compared to those who will take the time to report it. Also, remember that the complainants' names are on the complaint reports, and this being a very small town, many people will forgo reporting anything, so that it doesn't come back to bite them in the buttocks.

Yes, staffing weekend duty will help some, but if they rely only on the people to report things, violations will still occur, without Code Enforcement ever getting involved. In general, I don't think that people like to be "tattle tales." I certainly don't like having to be the bad guy reporting incidents. That job belongs to Code Enforcement. I feel like it is another example of professionals getting paid to do an amateur job.

Interesting. Kevin lives in Santa Rosa County. And one of the other officers live in Navarre. The north officers all drive a single code vehicle to the courthouse in DeFuniak then leave from there during the week. If they were on call and called, I can not imagine any of them not coming out. That is the job.

Right now they are also doing the four day work week thing. I really think that they could continue that schedule, just spread some people out over the weekends and it would solve a lot of the problems without a change in policy.
Seems like they could schedule to cover weekends, sheriff and fire dept. do. As far as I know they are just not scheduled.